“Iconic monster”

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Iconic monster”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

An enormous par 73 in one of the most beautiful locations in the world. If the course wasn't hard enough, the wind will really make you think

Vancouver, Canada
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Nice course but there are better”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We played 13 links courses on our trip and to a man, all of us thought this was the least awe inspiring. If we went back we would skip this one. Please told us it was a must play but not sure why, good but not great

Visited September 2012
1 Thank TheFarkman
Island of Malta, Malta
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

A large airy dining room with views of the Atlantic ocean. The menu is extensive and includes a £10 winter special for 3 courses. The food is plain, simple, home made and there is plenty of it. If you want a mixed grill, tobacco onions and garlic fries, this is the place to go. There is also a carvery every sunday lunch time.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank bobby911
Tulsa, Oklahoma
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 154 helpful votes
“Possibly my favorite NI course”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Having played Castlerock for the third time, I enjoy this layout more every time I play it. From the clubhouse to the club's members, everybody is very accomodating to visitors. Even though it is a links style course, there isn't the huge elevation changes that you get from other Northern Ireland courses. The holes seem to go in all directions, negating the problems of a high wind, which was present the day we played. There are ample bailout areas on most holes but the gunge is definitely tough. Playing in the fairway is definitely the way to go.

Visited August 2012
Denver
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“One of the best courses we played.”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

One of eight courses our group played on a recent trip to Ireland. Having never played golf in Ireland before, I was surprised at how difficult Irish golf can be. The month of May was not kind to Irish golf courses. An unusually cold May meant that some of the courses (and greens) were not in their usual top condition. But, Castlerock seemed to be in much better condition than some of the others we played during our recent trip.

Of the 8 courses we played, Castlerock was one of my favorites. Normally a 16 handicap, I was fortunate to shoot in the low 90s as I battled the winds and unique Irish golf course conditions. Castlerock has an handful of memorable and enjoyable holes. While not an easy course, it is definitely playable as long as you can avoid the tall grass.

If you haven't played the course before, I'd recommend hiring a caddy for their insights on some of the more challenging holes (as well as for their ball-hunting skills). I really enjoyed playing with my caddie at Castlerock, and he definitely earned his pay as he went searching for some balls that I thought I'd never see again.

The course was one of the more affordable of our trip, and the caddies here were of average cost (approx. 30 euros plus tip). After our round, we warmed up with a few pints upstairs at the clubhouse deck outside.

Having played the course, I'd love to come back and play it again. Now that I know it a bit better, I'd definitely play some holes differently. Looking forward to returning to Ireland again in the future. If I do, I'll definitely make a point to play Castlerock again.

Visited May 2012