“Lovely spot”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely spot”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed here on new yrs eve for a 30Th birthday bash !! My cousin has stayed here on a few occasions and so had chosen the Anchor to bring in the new yr and her birthday . The hotel itself is lovely , the receptionist was very friendly and helpful, food was very nice and reasonable price and the bedroom was cosy. The bed was huge and v comfy, only downfall was not much natural light getting into the room it was quite dark, but otherwise a lovely hotel . I do suggest the staff sack the psycho female bouncer who accused shouts instead of talking and I was greatly offended wen she was shouting like a man that I was not a resident when I had my room key in my hand , v rude. But cannot fault the Anchor as Staff are lovely, good food and music and lovely breakie in the morn !!

• Visited January 2014

Ireland
“food is bland”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I had chicken goujons with chips and black pepper sauce, a pretty standard lunch menu staple I'd have thought but the food was very very bland. The cracked black pepper sauce arrived, but it was only white sauce, so I asked the waiter to check if he had given me the wrong sauce, but no, apparently that was black pepper sauce. He came back with a pepper mill and dispensed some on the sauce, but come on.. Strangely the chicken goujons were also tasteless, no seasoning in the batter perhaps and the chips were bland too. I suppose it was ok, but definitely a flavour issue, so I came away disappointed. Its a lovely bar though and the staff were attentive, so 2 stars. Maybe I just made the wrong choice from the menu, but I do so hate when flavour is forsaken, as long as it looks ok.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank chickencottage
Shankbridge
“delious”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Was saying at the hotel so decided to take up the offer of the 3 courses for £15.00 and it was so nice the surroundings are nice and the staff attentive and very friendly cant wait to go back again top tip have the malteaser cheesecake its awesome

Visited December 2013
“Something for everyone...”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I used to travel to Portstewart every summer and spend the week and enjoy the change of scenery and The Anchor was always one of the first places we would go. The food is absolutely incredible and very affordable. The pub is an old fashioned type pub with a great selection of brews to tickle your taste buds. There is always a band playing on a night and the place reeks of vibrancy and fun. If the pub life isn't to your liking, there is a nightclub upstairs. I am yet to meet someone who doesn't like The Anchor and I can't imagine I will.

• Visited November 2013
Northern Ireland
“Fab chowder”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I was here on my own for a quick bite to eat - and I chose really well - the fish chowder (as a starter) is really fantastic. Haddock, salmon, mussels, prawns etc really yum, with a slice of wheaten bread. I was glad I had only a starter as I don't think I could have moved if I had the main course option.

Packed with lovely things - great service, will be back for more chowder!

• Visited December 2013