“not a nice meal”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portstewart
home
“not a nice meal”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Our 1st time eating here and sorry to say it will be the last, we have eaten out in loads of places and i have not complained about any meal, i am a lover of duck so decided to order the half crispy duck, my hubby hab the gammon, it was ok by the way...when my duck arrived i could see at once that the skin was soggy and not crisp as expected and as ordered, i have never eaten soggy skin on a duck before and really didnt want to eat it this time either... i removed all the skin which is very thick and started to eat the duck breast, one of the waitresses came and asked if the meal was ok but i think she knew i wasnt impressed, i said i was sorry to complain but that i culdnt eat my meal, she removed it and took it to the chef, after a dhort time my meal came out again with the skin havin being dropped into a deep fat fryer to crispen it up....not good, only the outside was crispy, inside still soggy, a chef should know to make the skin lovely and crispy then it needs dried out, either on the duck or as i do, remove it and place on a roasting tin...the meal was expensive enough without it being soggy, would i recommend the cromore for a meal, yes it is ok, clean, friendly staff but they are not good at doin crispy duck and i have had quite a few over the years, sorry but do not order it if you go there for a meal... i can recommend the desserts, the ones we ate were heavenly, i had cromore cheesecake and hubby had sticky toffee pudding, yum yum....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
mark l, Manager at Cromore Halt Inn, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Carol,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the Duck and I would like to apologise to you in person. If you could make yourself known to me I will certainly be happy to discuss the matter further. At the Cromore Halt we pride ourselves on our high standards of cuisine and service and I am sorry that on this occasion our high standards were not achieved. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your deserts and are happy to recommend them. We value all of our customers and all the feedback we receive helps us to improve. I hope to welcome you back to the Cromore in the near future.
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed in this guest inn for two nights recently. We were pleased with the quality of the dinner and breakfasts we ate in the restaurant and the friendly service provided by the staff. However, the accommodation was not up to standard. The mattress on our double bed dipped badly in the centre thus making it impossible to enjoy a decent night's sleep on either night of our stay. Also, the water pressure in the shower was so poor we could not even get a decent wash in the mornings.
We completed a guest comment card detailing the above problems which we also notified the receptionist of when checking-out. However, we have not heard anything further and it seems that whilst the hotel management requests guest feedback, it does not welcome or act upon negative feedback.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spaulahen
mark l, Manager at Cromore Halt Inn, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant. I am sorry to hear that you felt our accommodation was not to your satisfaction. We value all of our customer feedback and take in on board as it helps us to improve our facilities and service.
I will contact you personally to discuss this matter and look forward to welcoming you back to the Cromore Halt in the near future.

Ballyclare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed at the Cromore Halt at the end of February 2014 on a last minute 2 night weekend.we had never stayed in the Cromore Halt before and we got a cracking deal on a double room with breakfast.

Can I just say we had a fantastic stay , the staff where very welcoming and check in was a breeze on the Friday evening. We decided to try out the bistro for our evening meal on the Friday night and what great choice it was . Again the food the staff and service was as good if not better than some 4 and 5 star hotels we have stayed in previously.

The bedroom was a good size with all the amenities you would expect very clean and tidy.

The breakfast the next morning set us up for the day, we where able to pre order our cooked breakfast the night before and also choose a time , again the quality of the breakfast would put bigger hotel chain to shame.

We will definitely be returning soon and would Highly recommend the Cromore Halt on the North Coast

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
mark l, Manager at Cromore Halt Inn, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Hi Tomtom2010_10,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us such a positive review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at Cromore Halt. Our staff strive to maintain the highest standards of service and cuisine at all times. I am also pleased to hear that you found our staff 'welcoming' and I will definitely pass on your kind comments to them. We appreciate and value feedback from all of our customers as it enables us to improve upon our service for the future. We look forward to welcoming you back again to Cromore Halt in the near future.

County Londonderry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My husband and I recently stayed in this hotel and will definitely be back! Excellent location at roadside beside a petrol station and supermarket ( always handy for late night snacks). On entering admittedly we had to go look for a member of staff to book in, however, was helpful and friendly. The room was Very spacious and had everything we needed. I did remark on how clean everything was. The room was very comfortable and lovely and warm. Breakfast in the morning was also a pleasant experience, lovely restaurant area very cosy and tasty home cooked breakfast. Well worth the visit

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank jellybean498
mark l, Manager at Cromore Halt Inn, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hi Sponjanos,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us such a positive review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at Cromore Halt. Our staff strive to maintain the highest standards of service and cuisine at all times. I am also pleased to hear that you found our staff 'helpful and friendly' and I will definitely pass on your kind comments to them. We appreciate and value feedback from all of our customers as it enables us to improve upon our service for the future. We look forward to welcoming you back again to Cromore Halt in the near future.

Northern Ireland
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We ate in the Bistro on a Saturday evening - party of 5. Decor is OK - but has an 'airport lounge' feel to it which makes for a not terribly good atmosphere. The food was OK - fish&chips with mushy peas and balsamic vinegar was good I thought and there weren't any adverse comments from the others in my party. Not that there were glowing reports either mind you. The worst aspect is you have to go to the counter near the door to order. There was quite a few staff there but only one girl taking orders and on a Saturday night where most tables were occupied this meant a severe backlog. I must have stood for a full 10 minutes to wait - I wouldn't have liked to be eating at the tables nearby, it wouldn't have been pleasant to have people standing beside you while you ate.

I really don't understand why they couldn't take orders at the tables or at the very least have more than one person able to take orders at the counter. This is pretty stupid and I doubt if we'll be rushing back (even though we live only a mile or so away). There is another well-known 'bistro' not too far away where you also have to order at the counter/bar - but the difference there is that they have lots of staff able to take your order and we've never had to wait there more than a minute or two.

It really did spoil the evening for us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
mark l, Manager at Cromore Halt Inn, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear MetalMikey,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Our Bistro offers casual dining however I am very sorry that you had to wait so long to order. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will investigate the matter further. We also have a Restaurant which offers table service which some our diners would prefer.
We pride ourselves on our high standards of service and cuisine and unfortunately on this occasion they were not to your satisfaction. We value all feedback as it enables us to improve our service. I hope this will not discourage you from returning to the Cromore in the near future.

Carol
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I keep going back to this Inn; which would beat many a 4 star hotel for comfort, service and quality of food. The reception, restaurant and bar staff are all friendly efficient folk who care about their customers. Our room was spotless and well equipped ( TV, trouser press, hair dryer, safe and a great bathroom ( bath & shower ) The Inn's cooked breakfast is G8 2 ( ask for 'The works' & you will get a super start to your day )

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bobby C
mark l, Manager at Cromore Halt Inn, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Bobby,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am delighted to hear that you and your wife had an enjoyable stay with us at the Cromore. Our staff strive to maintain the highest standards of service and cuisine at all times. We appreciate and value feedback from all of our customers. I am happy to hear that you keep returning to the Cromore and we look forward to welcoming you both back again in the near future. I will pass on your kind compliments to all of our staff.
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed at the Cromore Halt for three nights at the beginning of December. I received a warm welcome and the staff were friendly and helpful throughout my visit. My room (no 9) was spacious, warm and comfortable, with plenty of storage space. It was also spotlessly clean. There was a wide choice for breakfast and in particular the scrambled eggs and bacon were delicious. My only criticism is that the hair dryer wasn’t up to much and it would have been good to have a radio/alarm in the room, but these are minor observations in a most enjoyable visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clare H
mark l, Manager at Cromore Halt Inn, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Clare H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a positive review. We value all feedback from our customers as it helps to improve our services.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay and we hope to welcome you back to Cromore Halt in the New Year.

Mark
Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portstewart
The Anchorage Inn
#1 of 3 in Bushmills
Adelphi Portrush
Adelphi Portrush
#1 of 8 in Portrush

Been to Cromore Halt Inn? Share your experiences!