“I was sick in their toilets and I didn't get an apology”

The Ice House Bar and Restaurant
Cuisines: European, Grill
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We provide Lunch, Evening, and a take-away service. Our bar and restaurant have extended opening hours in the summer season. Serving lunch from 1-4pm Monday to Thursday, and 12.30pm-4pm Friday to Sunday.Serving evening menu 5-8.45pm Monday to Thursday, 5-9.30pm Fri and Sat, and 5-9pm on a Sunday.Our takeaway service is available during restaurant hours, however, depending on how busy the restaurant is we may be unable to accommodate take-aways. (Particularly at weekends)We have a wide range of cocktails available made with only the freshest of ingredients.We are a child friendly restaurant, but please be aware that due to licencing laws children are not permitted to be on the premises after 9pm, so please consider this before booking a later table if you have children in your company.
Sheffield
“I was sick in their toilets and I didn't get an apology”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

It's incredibly expensive for what it is. We had asked if meals came with chips if it wasn't specified in the menu. The waitress said no but the portion sizes are big so don't buy a side order each to which we thought fair enough. But the portion size wasn't huge at all. My scampi £8.95 and tiny!! maybe 7 or 8 small pieces of scampi with a salad garnish and dip. But I'm not going to harp on about portion sizes or prices. I finished my "meal" and sat waiting for the others to finish. Before they were done I felt instantly unwell and ran to the toilet to be sick, I continued to feel unwell until I was ill once more while we were there and then I felt fine. Which is how I knew it was the food. Anyway, I'm a waitress have been for years and I didn't want to appear like one of those who will say anything for a free meal so we got the bill and paid (they had overcharged us as well which was another annoyance to sort out!). As we were leaving i brought our money to one of the employees and just let them know that I got ill from their food, so they can check the food in the kitchen is alright. Before I finished my sentence one of our waitresses jumped in and said I should have said something when she had done the check-back. I was so angry at this point that I just said that I was ill after the check and just left. Because I know the industry and how things should be dealt with I was so livid that 'I should have said something' at the check-back when I had tried to do things the right way and I paid for my meal that made me sick.

Apart from this lady at the end, the rest of the service was fantastic. And I do believe that I would have had an apology off the male employee if she hadn''t interrupted, which would have made a world of difference.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank kfez21

“Great night!”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Have recently enjoyed a lively night with friends in The Ice House and the food was generally very good, although my "medium" steak was a bit too bloody for my liking! However at £21 a head for starter, main course, a couple of shared desserts and 2 bottles of wine it really was great value and we will be back.

1 Thank Sloe G
“A very good night!”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We have dined in The Ice House before, but were very pleasantly surprised on our last visit to find that it had been given a much needed facelift, with the dining area seeming so much brighter and cleaner. It has such a lively atmosphere for a night out with friends and the food as always was really tasty - the sharing bowls of nachos as a starter should not be missed! Great atmosphere, food and service at a really reasonable cost - we will definitely be back.

1 Thank Speedyreader
Belfast, United Kingdom
“1st Class Fabulous lunch”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Fabulous lunch.. couldnt fault the meal , all the dishes that we had were 1st class this wee restaurant could show others how meals should be done.. its a credit to all concerned.. the waiter and wee waitress were very professional and great at their jobs.. Ours meals were really warm from start to finish.. recommend a visit asap...

2 Thank 121LINDAG
Newtownards, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We ate once here several years ago when it was a highly recommend place to eat with great service and excellent food, it was a sought after venue. My husband and I visited with my parents at the weekend and were extremely disappointed. The bar staff and waitresses while friendly and polite appeared to have little experience. After waiting quite some time for our starter they sloshed the soup out of the bowls and handed the plates to us rather than setting them in our place mats. The cutlery was stained with dried on food and we had to ask for extra cutlery for the serving bowls. The main meal wasn't very hot and the meat was bland. Vegetables were cooked to mush and my husbands gammon was tough and salty. When we highlighted that we found the meal to be poor the manager actually laughed at us and was quite rude about it. The restaurant itself has become quite run down in terms of the decor and in the hour that we visited we heard the same cd 3 times which seemed to be a selection of 4 -5 songs played on repeat. Our family enjoy eating out and do so regularly. It is disappointing that this is the first time ever that we have had to complain. If the food had of been nice it would have been good value and the portions were a good size, unfortunately the flavour and quality was not there.