“Could easily be a 5*”
Review of The George Inn

The George Inn
Ranked #6 of 24 Warminster B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here with my wife and 2 children on a Sunday night during the Easter Hols. We had a family room which was very spacious. It seems that the Inn has undergone some extensive renovation in the not too distant past and this has been done to a high spec. I was slightly dubious before coming based on the price as it is in my opinion quite cheap. If i were to be "picky" there are some general maintenance issues such as broken window handle in bathroom and the inability to turn the radiator off in the main room but that is really all I could fault. All in all the room is large, clean, well decorated and the breakfast fantastic. I do not understand how they can do the room for these prices and I would happily pay the price advertised on their website and still be happy. I guess if the occupancy isn't great then it is better to have customers paying a low price than none at all?
We stayed for dinner on the Sunday and although the food was great the service was very slow. The staff are great, very attentive and personable but it took an hour and a quarter from sitting down to getting our main meal. We were told after ordering that the wait would be 30 - 40 minutes and as we were staying there it seemed silly to go out and wait even longer. The 30 - 40 minutes as I say ended being over an hour and a quarter. We sat down at 6:00pm and it seemed that 4 or 5 other fairly large tables sat down at the same time so maybe staggering of bookings would alleviate this. I do have to say that the quality of the food meant that the wait wasnt a huge issue but it was a bit too long......
I would definitely stay here again, if you are visiting the local safari park or, as we were, wanting to get in early to Center Parcs the next day then this place is ideal.
Tall chap who was possibly the owner is also very friendly.

Room Tip: Room 10 is large, great family room with bunk beds that the kids loved. It is also on the opposite s...
1  Thank AtomicPea
Leonard C, Manager at The George Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thanks for all your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back to the George soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I just want to say my husband and I came here for our evening meal on Good Friday on our way home from visiting the Dorset coast. It was busy, but the service was good and staff were very friendly. We enjoyed the chicken soup, my husband loved the venison and I had the jacket potato with coronation chicken and salad with, which was very good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Leonard C, Manager at The George Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed as part of a large group and my husband I were given room 11, the honeymoon suite!
It was a nice room, really nice modern decor. It had an old 4 poster bed and dark wood traditional furniture, which was not to my taste but I guess would be to integers. The bathroom was also new and modern and quite large.
What was most disappointing was the 'unloved' feel about the room, particularly the bathroom. There was a large area that had been filled but not sanded or painted, a handle missing from one if the drawers. The shower was cool and had no pressure and the toilet hardly flushed. These are minor issues and are easily rectified so I'm not sure why they didn't do them! I'd have been very disappointed if it had been my honeymoon! In addition, there was no full length mirror and the windows, although original and nice looking were thin and drafts.
The food in the restaurant was very nice. I was disappointed that they only had 1 rose wine available by the glass and it was not my taste. And they did not sell prosseco by the glass either.
The service when I checked in was great. Saw afew people and all were very helpful, although a little slow with drinks.
Breakfast was a great menu and very tasty. The bread was particularly good quality and delicious.
We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks very much for your review I have taken on board your comments and am taking steps to sort out the snagging problems you encountered.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

What a little gem, on our way home to Wales after visiting family for the day we came across this amazing place, menu had something for everyone and the staff were wonderful I had wonderful home made fishcakes with samphire and mustard sauce and it was a meal I did not want to end. My husband and and D ad had homemade pie and it was full of meat, My mouther had fish of the day it was sea bass yumm. The toilets excellent you could eat your meal in there thats how calen it was. This place has been referbished and you just have to visit if in the area. It also has rooms and im sure that they will be just as good 5** wonderful thank you we will be back on our next visit to ghe family.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your very kind review.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Visited over a weekend for Longleat which is only ten minutes away.

Superb food, service, and a great time had by all.

Watch out for a very tall and funny man (could be the manager) who's charm, whit and dedication is boundless.

I would not hesitate to recommend this place and I'm certain we will return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HA_DAN

Thanks Dan for all your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back to the George when you are next passing.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Really nice friendly old hotel . Lovely pub area and a short drive to warminster. However if you are sensitive to noise think about: i) the walls are very thin – be prepared to hear your neighbours clearly; ii) you can hear road noise ; and iii) we stayed in room 12 and were kept awake by the sound of doors slamming. We tried to find which one it was thorughout the night / morning. Our door self-closed quietly, and other doors in the hallway self-closed quietly. We couldn't understand where the frequent door slamming noise was coming from. It turned out to be the door that leads from the ground floor up to the rooms. Friends staying in other rooms didn't hear this – however we were closest to this banging door. We reported this to the management who were very apologetic about this and said that they would look into it. however, Until this problem is fixed I would suggest you avoid room 12.

Room Tip: push the door that goes up the stairs form the reception to the rooms and leave it to close, if it s...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review and I can confirm since bringing this to my attention I have mended the self closer on the door so it no longer slams.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed here for a quick solo pitstop overnight and was very pleasantly surprised indeed. Good food, friendly staff, plenty of free parking, room a little on the small side (only to be expected in an inn that is several centuries old) but spotlessly clean and with everything one might wish, including coffee maker and shortbread, and exceptional value for money if booked online. Ticked all the right boxes, plus a first-class breakfast the next day. Would more could one ask for?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warminster
Travelodge Warminster
#2 of 3 in Horningsham
The Old Bell Inn
The Old Bell Inn
#11 of 24 in Warminster

Been to The George Inn? Share your experiences!