“Lovely room quirky place”
Review of Bishopstrow House

Bishopstrow House
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Warminster
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed here for one night on business, arriving around 8pm in the rain the first thing I noticed was a poorly lit car park with a shale surface - not good for dragging a case wearing 3" heels.

Staff were welcoming, one lady took me to my room (back out in the rain) in an annex, which was a beautiful surprise. Room 19 has a small living room then stairs to the bedroom which was lovely and spacious, huge bed, corner sofa, desk, bathroom with tub and shower, all immaculately clean. Room has everything you need.

Restaurant food was lovely, but both main and dessert had things missing! My fish, chips and peas was fish and chips, I'd almost finished before I could attract attention re the peas and wasn't offered any condiments, checked on or offered a drink top up. Dessert was a raspberry trio - cheesecake, sorbet and jelly, but ended up being a "duo" as the jelly was missing. Again I'd finished before anyone checked and I did mention it at the end. Service was definitely lacking to my table, but as a lone female diner I often find this can be the case and noticed it seemed better for couples and other groups, although my bill still had the 10% service charge of course! The food I had was of good quality. Just need to sharpen the service and check the food is as it should be before it leaves the kitchen! However overall I would come back here if I was in the area again. Arriving late and leaving early on business. Doesn't really do it justice, but seemed like it could be a relaxing place to stay.

1  Thank SDHR
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to read that there were many positives to your stay, including your room - Room 19 is a truly beautiful Deluxe Room mixing the traditional and the contemporary.

Thank you also for your constructive feedback, at The Bishopstrow we take all feedback on board and use this to continually improve our services.

I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We loved this place. The staff made us feel as if the whole place was ours and for the family wedding of a lifetime the picture was perfect. The spa was excellent and the view from the rooms made us all feel a little "Downtown Abbey" for a day.

Room Tip: We asked for a good room with a view and there are many but for some reason we were given the only b...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous review.

I am delighted to read that you all had a fantastic day for your family wedding and you enjoyed all of the facilities and services.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at Bishopstrow House. We stayed in one of the best room, the Longleat Suite. We think it had recently been refurbished and whilst it was very nice with excellent beds, the furniture looked and felt cheap.

The Spa was very nice, and my wife had a body massage which she really enjoyed.

We ate in the Mulberry Restaurant on both nights. The food was good but not great and the menu's were identical on both evenings. Staff however we're charming and attentive.

Breakfasts were not good; in particular the Continental Breakfast selection was poor.

Overall we were disappointed but as we said, the staff were charming and helpful. Perhaps it is the owners/managers who need to ensure the the whole offering is more polished. We knew our stay at Bishopstrow House was going to be relatively expensive, but for that, we expected a top notch experience which we did not get.

3  Thank MartynLW
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to read that there were many positives to your stay with us, and that we exceeded your expectations in terms of the service on offer.

However, I am disappointed that there were areas that did not meet your expectations. The Longleat Room, is a Deluxe Room and was fully refurbished in 2012 to a very high standard. I'm sorry the furniture was not to your taste, but to date we have had mainly positive feedback on the refurbishment.

We take all comments on board, and I thank you for providing us with constructive feedback which I have passed onto the Management Team.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Having stayed at 'Cliveden' (a Relais and Chateaux hotel in Bucks, supposedly dog friendly) within the last five weeks, we decided on another last minute break, so chose the pet friendly Bishopstrow Hotel for one night. What a glorious and refreshing surprise we had. We chose a suite attached to the spa, which was split level with direct access on to the grounds. It was perfect for our two spaniels, both of whom were made to feel as welcome as we were. Afternoon tea was taken in the main hotel, our dogs were more than welcomed. A lovely walk followed around the hotels grounds. We always prefer to eat dinner in our suite , as not to leave the dogs alone.
With other five star hotels we have only been offered a limited room service menu. Not at Bishopstrow.
Dinner was ordered off the full a la carte menu ( even additional items were added that weren't on original menu). All food arrived to the time that we asked for and cooked to perfection. This continued to all following drinks that we ordered and a great breakfast the following morning.
1 overnight stay with all our food , suite, champagne and drinks was fantastic value, compared to Relais and Chateaux , at three times the price for considerably less.
Great value and fantastic service !

Room Tip: If looking for pet friendly, chose the suites with direct access to the grounds.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous review on your recent overnight stay.

I am absolutely delighted to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us and enjoyed all of the facilities on offer. I am equally pleased to read that the service exceeded all of your expectations and that all 4 of you felt at home at The Bishopstrow.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back in the future - perhaps to celebrate New Year's Eve with us where we host a 6 course black tie gala dinner with fireworks!

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed her for one night with my husband and we were upgraded to a garden view suite which was just lovely, but as the weather was cold we didn't get the benefit from the table and chairs outside! The hotel was immaculate inside and very clean. We had a walk to the outdoor pool and the area looked a bit untidy but I guess they don't expect people to be using it that time of year! The spa facilities were very good, though we didn't have any treatments we spent a few hours relaxing there. The food was delicious. We had afternoon tea and dinner on the evening. We chose not to eat from the a la carte menu to save some pennies but with a bottle of wine and 2 courses each it still came to £87 (with the added service charge). I would thoroughly recommend the goats cheese starter. The food is refined but you're not left hungry at the end, hence no dessert. The breakfast was also very good but it would have been nice to see a cooked breakfast for vegetarians on the menu. I asked for one and got egg, mushrooms, tomatoes and a small slice of fried bread which wasn't the hearty breakfast i was looking forward to but still good and beautifully presented. I was disappointed to see that the hotel hosts shooting parties, and probably would not have chosen to visit there had I known but we didn't see anything while we were there. The hotel exercises great attention to detail.

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you had such a great time with us and enjoyed all of the facilities on offer. Thank you for all of your contructive comments which I have passed onto the management team.

I must clarify your comment on shooting parties. Shoots take place in the Wiltshire countryside every year during the winter months, and some chose The Bishopstrow to stay overnight and enjoy a good dinner, fine wines in comfortable surroundings. Please rest assured this does not impact our other guests in anyway.

Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

Wonderful - massive rooms got a voucher via groupon !! Spa was amazing to. Swimming pool was lovely ... Bedrooms massive, it's in a massive acres of fields very off road, will defo come back again another time very good value for money via the voucher

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review on your recent stay.

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful time with us.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed here for one night on a groupon offer which included bed and breakfast with a 3 course meal. We were upgraded to a delux room as we were getting away for one night since our wedding on the weekend until our honeymoon in December. The room was spacious and bathroom of a very high standard. After a quick rest we went for our meal and this was the highlight of our stay. The quality of the food was fantastic and we were even given glasses of champagne on the house. I did have to pay a £5 supplementary charge for the fillet steak but it was actually £8 more expensive than any other item. No veg comes as standard so paid £3 each for carrots and new potatoes (worth it). I think in total our extras came to £22 so we were very pleased. However, we thought the tip was included (says so on the menu) and therefore didn't worry about it. But, they only charged 10% on the extras. I am so sorry for not leaving a generous tip that the service deserved and only realised when we got home yesterday.

The double bed was actually two singles which was very disappointing and we were very hot in the night but I was too tired to check if the radiator was on. Breakfast was not a buffet continental and get you get to choose off a menu for your main breakfast. Again, very high standard.

Didn't really use the spa facilities that much. Only a quick steam room and swim.

Enjoyed and will hopefully return one day on an offer. It would be a little pricey otherwise.

Room Tip: Ask if the double bed is actually two singles put together. It just didn't work. This was the ca...

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you had such a fantastic time with us, and that the highlight of your stay was the food. I have passed all of your wonderful comments onto the team.

We all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Jason Thorley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warminster
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Warminster
Lucknam Park
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne

Been to Bishopstrow House? Share your experiences!