“Very nice stay”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Warminster
Frome, United Kingdom
“Very nice stay”
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in January as a Birthday treat. Room was a large room in the main house, tastefully decorated, with a lovely bathroom and old features. Such a shame the bed was so uncomfortable! Looked like a huge bed but in fact it was 2 saggy, soft, unsupportive mattresses zipped together. Neither me or my partner had a good nights sleep because of this. Otherwise the rest of our stay was fab. The food we ate there was of high quality and well cooked although a bit on the expensive side. We also used the spa facilities which were lovely and relaxing. The indoor pool was a bit small especially once there were a few people in there. Couldn't fault the staff; they were professional and helpful at all times. Overall there was a great atmosphere and we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments you gave us and that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us.

I apologise that the bed was not very comfortable for you and have advised my Housekeeping Manager of you comments.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to The Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa.

Jason Thorley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

What can say about the Bishopstrow. First class accomadition in a great location. I was fortunate to stay in the Pembroke room a very smart room and very comfortable the lighting system very tec and a tad complicated. I didn't have ghe opportunity to use the facilities but will next week on my return. My only gripe is no biscuits on the tea tray in the room. Sorry but had to complain about one thing. .looking forward to my return next week.
Oh forgot to mention that housekeeping turn the beds down in the evening a great touch.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mr Azzopardi,

Thank you for your recent stay with us a Bishopstrow House.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and hope you have a chance to use our spa facilities this time.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We came for a spa day it's was lovely very relaxing and quite excellent grounds we were shown around and told we could walk through disabled changing room which we felt was disrespectful to disabled guests needing to use the room. Having everyone walking through their changing area when there is no need to do so as there are other changing rooms to use. Staff were very friendly spa alittle unkept but a lovely day had by all.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Magic45567886
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments in reference to the spa day you had with us at the Halcyon spa.

I have passed your comments in regards to the disabled changing room onto my Spa manager and she will liaise with her team about this.

We hope to welcome you back to The Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa in the future.

General Manager.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Got a "spa retreat" package as a present for my mum, we visited for her 50th which also linked in with my birthday which was on the day of our checkout, I'd mentioned this when booking and thought there may have been a "personal" touch, I'm not asking for a freebie but something small would have been a nice touch.
We arrived at the hotel and were told that our room wouldn't be available until later so went to make use of the spa facilities.
The spa was really lovely, with a decent size pool, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi and treatment rooms. All the staff were professional and in particular I'd like to thank Kay for my treatments as I know the manager reads these reviews. Was a tad strange that robes were only provided in the rooms so we had to request that they were sent down to the spa.
We ordered full afternoon tea which was very pleasant, even if it was a little pricey and to add to the English afternoon tea touch I'd suggest better presentation of the sandwiches which were simply cut in half.
The room itself was huge (room 19) with a downstairs living area, upstairs had a large bed and another big sofa, there was plenty of room in the bathroom too. The shower was quite difficult to work and very hard to turn the temperature down, it was boiling. And as for the "modern" light switch technology, if given up. All of the lights suddenly turned in at 2:30am, fortunately we were able to turn them off! Was a really nice touch the the beds were turned down in the evening.
We enjoyed a few drinks before our evening meal in the drawing room, service was prompt and the log fire was beautiful. We had booked a table for 8pm, however from 7:15 onwards we were asked 3 times if we'd like to eat early by who I assume was the manager, or restaurant manager, a foreign man with olive skin, he was very polite but we felt pressured into eating earlier.
The menu itself looks wonderful and although small there was plenty that tempted us. We had to send my mums main meal back as it was brought out simply warm, not hot. When it returned within 30 seconds it was clear it was exactly the same meal but microwaved, this is not what we'd expect from a 4* hotel. The waitress asked if it was ok, to which our reply was "it's alright, not great" and she simply accepted the comment and carried on with her work. Dessert made up for the meal and Was the most generous portion of the meal. We were offered tea or coffee however after we had declined we were told it was a complimentary drink, we chose not to have as we wanted to carry on with a few drinks in the drawing room.
Would like to add that for breakfast the toast was more like warm bread, not crunchy toast, I know it's picky but I feel it's the simple things that make the stay better.

Overall our stay was pleasant I just felt there were a few aspects that could have been improved, the spa and room was brilliant, however not impressed with the restaurant.
I would still recommend a stay here to a friend, and to make full use of the spa and it's wonderful staff.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Beth S
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us at Bishopstrow.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with constructive feedback which we will take on board to help improve our service.

With Kind Regards

Norton Bavant
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We arrived late but were able to get a table in the resteraunt- the food was very good and the service was excellent. The wine list is impressive too. Our room was on a special offer and very cosy and nicley appointed. I used the spa the following morning which was a great start to the day, especially the luxurious steam room.

Room Tip: Rooms in the coach house area near the spa are spacious.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming back to the hotel.

With Kind Regards

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend booked a night here with secret escapes for my birthday. We arrived early but the reception staff stored our luggage so we could make use of the excellent spa facilities and have lunch. The room was lovely and just as described. The bathroom was my favourite with a huge freestanding bath and walk in power shower. The room (20) was immaculate and very clean, although the door tended to bang and rattle every time the corridor door was opened or closed which meant I had to hold it shut with a stool. We had a three course dinner which was very good and they even had a separate vegetarian menu for myself. We enjoyed having a drink in the 2 public lounges which were cosy with log fires. There was a good selection of breakfast items, although more vegetarian options such as hashbrowns and vegetarian sausages would have made the coked breakfast more exciting. I can't fault the service throughout the stay as the staff were very attentive but not intrusive. A lovely stay and I would definitely return.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laurence C
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at The Bishopstrow.

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay with us, and that you enjoyed all aspects of the services and facilities on offer.

Thank you for your constructive feedback reference vegetarian options at breakfast - I have passed this onto Chef to look into.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We visited for an overnight stay and a company gathering on a small scale for afternoon tea dinner and breakfast.

The location, ambience and surroundings were fabulous as was the décor and layout of the whole establishment.

Rooms were very tastefully furnished to a very high quality, food and drinks were of a high quality served with a smile and moderately priced.

General facilities within the hotel were well above expectation and served to make a stay at this location rather special.l

The establishment has history and is located in a beautiful part of England adjacent to Salisbury plain.

Room Tip: In a location such as this it is essential to ask for a room with a view of the grounds and surround...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable time for your company party, and that all of the services and facilities exceeded your expectations.

I have passed all of your wonderful comments onto the team, and we all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Jason Thorley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warminster
Beechfield House
#2 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon
Milford Hall Hotel
Milford Hall Hotel
#5 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to Bishopstrow House? Share your experiences!