Bishopstrow House
Travelodge Warminster(Warminster)(Great Value!)
US$64
Travelodge
US$126
Premier Inn Frome Hotel(Frome)(Great Value!)
US$84
PremierInn.com
The Woolpack Inn(Beckington)(Great Value!)
US$83
Travelodge Beckington(Beckington)(Great Value!)
US$61
Travelodge
Premier Inn Trowbridge Hotel(Trowbridge)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$106
US$107
The Farmers Hotel(Warminster)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmulberry restaurantoutdoor pooloval roomspa facilitiesrasul mud treatmentsteam roomroll top bathrelaxation roomafternoon teamonsoon showerdouble showerspa breakdeluxe roomtennis courtscountry house hotelsecret escapesthe main house
Reviewed 18 April 2014

the Bishopstrow House hotel is fabulous - we stayed in one of the newly refurbished rooms in the stable block and had a lovely time overall.
only criticism is that the pool/spa was a bit on the cold side both in and out of the water, which is a shame as it wasn't somewhere you would want to hang out..which was one of the reasons we had gone.
that said the food was ace, as was the service, so we will definitely return if we are in the area again.

Room Tip: stay in one of the newly refurbished rooms if you like the "boutique hotel" experience.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, and that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and the amenities on offer.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to The Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

A beautiful hotel with a calm and restful ambience. The staff are very helpful and attentive and the indoor pool and gym were very clean and well provisioned. - but we were rather disappointed that the Jacuzzi was out of order for the 3 days we were there. The spa staff are very friendly and I enjoyed a massage there - I was a bit nervous as it was the first I had ever had and the young lady put me at ease and I enjoyed the whole experience in the 'quiet room' etc.
The food was first class and the waiting staff very efficient - friendly, yet professional. We really enjoyed the break and can recommend the 2 walks around the area that you can get details about from reception. We would also recommend a visit to Frome nearby.
Minor disappointments with the refreshments provided - would have been nice to have a biscuit or two and perhaps some hot chocolate sachets. There were no handles on the bath and as the bathroom was fully tiled and potentially slippery it would be a help to have some sort of support getting out of the bath (for pensioners like ourselves especially).
These few things did not spoil our visit at all and are only included so that the management can perhaps take note if they read the reviews and further enhance what is a delightful place to stay

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4 in the main house. This was elegant and large with lovely views over the grounds. It was off a large landing area and not along a narrow corridor like with many hotels. Added to the sense of spaciousness.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on The Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa, I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

I apologise that the Jacuzzi was out of order during your stay, unfortunately the fault was unable to be repaired by ourselves and we had to contact an external company to conduct the repair. I am pleased to advise that this has now been resolved.

I do hope I can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Having travelled to this hotel for afternoon tea it was somewhat disappointing. The reviews say this is an excellent afternoon tea. The tea was not loose leaf as I would have expected for the price one pot with no hot water. The sandwiches were not a selection you had to choose there was a meringue held together by the mousse in a shot glass and the scones were very crisp and hard. For the review and price I was very dissapoointed there was not even a table laid for us even though we had booked. This was a trial to see if I would book an overnight spa break if the tea was anything to go by no thank you

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent constructive comments with reference to our afternoon tea selection. I do apologise that there were some elements that did not appeal to you.

We do strive to improve and will discuss all your points with the Head Chef.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I went to this hotel for my last birthday and it was lovely. Very nice character building in a nice location not too far from Bath. As well as this the rooms are so nicely furnished and the bathrooms are really sleek like staying in a proper county home with modern updates. Breakfast was also very good, nice variety of menu options ( all sounded very tasty, hard to eat just a english breakfast) and a buffett with coffee to order in cafeteria's The breakfast room is also in a nice glass walled kind of conservatory so pleasant to look out over the grounds.

Service was also friendly and the staff where attentive. The hotel has such a nice small country home which i think i like best and i did really enjoy going for my birthday it made it very special.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to make your birthday weekend special for you.

I will of course pass your kind comments to all the staff concerned. I do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

this was a secret escapes deal but was still relatively expensive at around £200 per night.

the room was nice - amazing bathroom. must say was surprised by the lack of refreshments - both complimentary and paid for - even in a lower quality hotel you would expect biscuits and a good range of teas but nothing at all was made available.
also there's no fridge with wines, drinks and snacks available for purchase which -given the hotel is fairly remote seems like unusual and slightly annoying decision from the hotel. (also in that part of the UK there are so many lovely independent brands who could stock hampers in the way hotels such as hotel du vin offer locally sourced items).

aside from this the overall issue we had with the hotel was the general neglect.

our room door was nearly falling off, walls had paint worn off, the walled garden and gardens in general had no flowers etc in them and at the entrance to the hotel is a huge plant pot filled with soil, no flowers, plants etc but just lots of cigarette ends and ash. quite disgusting to be honest.

the outdoor swimming pool was pretty sad i have to say - many of the loungers looked old and shabby. again the gardens and general surroundings were neglected and a bit worn out.
there was what looked like a jacuzzi that was filled with cold water but nobody seemed to know how to heat it or if it was really a jacuzzi
the 'heated' pool was warm in parts and cold in others.
the indoor pool was ok but smelt slightly damp and had floor mats that looked a bit dirty and unhygienic. but overall it was ok but slightly dated overall.

my main issue was with the spa itself.

the sauna and steam rooms were ok if a little small - luckily there weren't too many people there so it wasn't too much of an issue but when it did get busier we left as neither spa nor steam room comfortably housed more than approx. 4 people.

what really let's this hotel down is the spa treatments and service they offer.
it's extremely expensive - and by extremely i mean seriously overpriced.
the treatment prices were considerably higher than any other london spa i've been to.

if i am paying nearly £100 for a 45minute facial i expect top class service and i must say this was not the case.
the beautician asked me nothing about my skin, told me nothing about the products she was applying and did the poorest excuse for a massage i have ever had.
when i left my skin felt no better nor did it look any better and i have to say it's the poorest facial i've ever had.
my partner had a massage which was around £100 which was distinctly below average and by an extremely junior member of staff - surely prices should reflect the level of experience?
he also had a wrap that he described as 'embarrassing' and a a complete waste of money.
the beautician did not seem to know how to even apply this treatment and didn't even apply it to parts of the body that it is designed for.
so overall, we paid £300 for 3 services that were the worst spa experiences we had ever had.

if someone from the hotel reads this i would strongly urge you to reassess your prices and also either retrain your staff, look at bringing in better products/brands or bring in some other really top notch staff that can at justify those overinflated prices.

on the positive side, we could not fault the restaurant - the food was excellent and the staff were brilliant. attentive, knowledgable and professional.

also the reception staff were extremely friendly, professional, efficient and helpful.

so overall - this hotel really needs some urgent TLC overall and the spa needs a complete overhaul in every respect.

Room Tip: ask for one of the newly refurbished suites which has an amazing bathroom and huge comfy beds.
3  Thank juliette h