Bishopstrow House
The George Inn(Warminster)
US$118
The Old Bell Inn(Warminster)
US$81
The Angel Inn(Upton Scudamore)
US$133
The Bath Arms(Warminster)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$123
The Red Lion(Heytesbury)(Great Value!)
US$103
US$25
Pitchup.com
Home Farm Boreham(Warminster)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmulberry restaurantoutdoor pooloval roomspa facilitiesrasul mud treatmentsteam roomroll top bathrelaxation roomafternoon teamonsoon showerdouble showerspa breakdeluxe roomtennis courtscountry house hotelsecret escapesthe main house
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Bishopstrow House Hotel and Spa is an incredible establishment on the edge of the Salisbury plain. The main building is an old manor house, but the condition is magnificent. It is located on beautiful grounds, and even has a small doric temple where weddings and outdoor events are often held. I went there as part of a wedding party, and everything was fantastic. Due to sudden rains, we had to change plans and have the wedding indoors, but the staff never blinked an eyelash and worked hard to make certain that everything was perfect.

The hotel contains a very good bar as well as an excellent restaurant, with good service and very good food.

This hotel and spa is the perfect place for those who wish to de-stress and relax. Its modern spa has both indoor and outdoor pools, a mud therapy room, Elemis treatments, various types of massage, a sauna, steam room, and much more.

Each of the rooms has its own personality and is very tastefully decorated. Located between Salisbury and Bath, this hotel has peaceful gardens that lead to a river; there are also tennis courts within its grounds for those who want to be active.

Between Bath and Salisbury, it is only about a 20-minute drive away from Stonehenge, so would be a great place to stay for those who wish to take in Stonehenge, Old Sarum, and Salisbury Cathedral.

Some of the items used in the wedding service were lost/misplaced, and the hotel did its very best and soon found them, for which we were all very grateful.

The staff were are very friendly and eager to be of assistance, and it made the stay even nicer. Although it is off the beaten-path, it is an adventure well worth experiencing!

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent. In our party of 80 people, everyone said that their rooms were very good, and not one of us had a complaint.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Jason T, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at The Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa, I am delighted to read that you had such a fantastic time.

I have passed your feedback on to the team as it is always nice for them to hear their hard work is appreciated and that it really makes your stay special.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel managed to fall short of their own mark at almost every opportunity.

Reception professional and charming enough. Spa staff were polite and welcoming.
Sadly, it stopped there, pretty much. Monday night stay. Perhaps things are better at other times.

Poorly trained afternoon/evening wait staff, and despite promisingly short if slightly pretentious à la carte menu, food underwhelming, with several of the few choices unavailable. Potentially dangerously warm scallop ceviche and tepid steak with greasy chips left uneaten.

Understand that their menu is fixed for a month at a time, so it'll get tired with a longer stay. Un-notable wine list seriously overpriced (Picpoul@£40).

Inescapable canned music in bar and greenhouse sitting area, (and restaurant at breakfast). Unvaried sub-Motown an utterly inappropriate intrusion for country house experience.

Breakfast served with welcome smile, but rancid fried food and coffee so weak it is best forgotten.

Room (Pembroke) large. Appallingly uncomfortable bed, (strange pair of mid-joined worn out mattresses give zero support). Although new block, no air conditioning and strangely damp/humid. Sunny day so french door open on arrival, but horrid surprise once closed for night. Bad smell from dodgy pony skin rug. Beautifully furnished bathroom with double shower wet end lacked enough water pressure to make it great.

Far more attention to detail needed. i.e Main terrace cigarette butts not swept up and untrimmed ornamental bushes. Grounds do need lots more work. Guests see into shabby kitchen front doors on way to rooms and spa. Outside sitting area by our room marred by dying plants in expensive holders. Room cleaning - Shower stall glass and French windows not too clean at all. Cobwebs on standard light at floor level.

Summary: The hotel has masses of potential, but lets itself down and lacks polish. Feels as though the place is being run by indifferent amateurs who have neither the training nor the style to get it right. We saw too little apparent sense of pride of ownership or genuine care.

Their claim on their website homepage to be "Without doubt one of the finest, luxury hotels in Wiltshire" is at best questionable, I'd have to say.

In their defence, having told the duty manager of our dissatisfaction, we were not charged for our wine - an unrequested and significant gesture given list price. But I'd have been happier to have paid over the odds having had the expectation of a great stay fulfilled.

What a shame.

Room Tip: Can't recommend Pembroke… very uncomfortable bed and unpleasant dying leather smell.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CaringTraveller1954
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa

Thank you for your kind comments on the reception & spa breakfast staff. However, I am very disappointed to read that your experience did not live up to your expectations, and what you have described is certainly not the excellent customer service we pride ourselves on.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we let you down on this occasion. I have passed all of your feedback on to the relevant Heads of Departments to investigate and come back to me with their findings so that we may deal with your constructive criticism.

As always, we will work very hard where required on each of the points you have raised.

I do hope that you will be able to visit us once again and give us the opportunity to redeem your opinion on Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel is in a beautiful setting and the facilities are lovely. The family room was the largest that we had ever stayed in with beautiful silk butterfly fabric and wallpaper. The bathroom was extremely luxurious. One minor point- the mattress was uncomfortable as I could feel a couple of springs through it. However overall this is a fab hotel. The staff were professional and friendly, from the cleaners to the manager. In the restaurant an exceptional waiter (Marius) did everything to make us feel comfortable and to make sure our children were happy during the meal. We would definitely recommend this hotel as it offers a welcome for children but also real luxury for the adults.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I first visited this hotel when it was a part of the Von Essen group just before it went into administration - although it was not know at that time it was about to happen. It would however explain that the hotel seemed a little run down. It has been taken over by Longleat Enterprise Limited which has smartened up the hotel - and the staff seemed more cheerful. Enjoying wonderful weather the outside pool was a great attraction. The Spa was also good.

The food seems a bit variable - I had a good dinner but breakfast was poor and cold. However the next morning was good -- freshly cooked, hot and the bacon was a better quality. I was told it was a different chef.

A good stay , nice room and amenities in a beautiful part of England.

Room Tip: Some ground floor rooms open out on to the gardens
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Salmon47
Jason T, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us once again.

Thank you for your kind comments on our staff and your experience at the Hotel. I have passed this on to my management team to discuss with all the staff.

It is disappointing to hear that the food wasn’t up to the mark at all times. I have passed on your constructive comments on to the Head Chef, who has addressed this with all the staff to ensure consistency with the food at all times.

Thank you once again for your feedback. It is comments like yours that strive us to keep performing our best and providing the level of service we pride ourselves on.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed a few years ago for a night and wanted to go back.- memories of a pre breakfast outdoor swim always stayed with me ! It is changed but first impression of a beautiful building still strikes you when you arrive. Pluses were the room was big, great bathroom with lovely bath - separate walk in shower - all working fine. A minus was room was very hot, but methinks that it is the wonderful weather of the moment so can't blame the hotel, but perhaps as it is also near the indoor pool there was kick back from that. There was a fan and we made sure curtains were drawn during the day when we weren't there. I guess if you want aircon you go to a new build hotel..... Smaller minus was the bed was a bit soft for my liking, but that's personal taste. The sunset through the window in the evening was stunning. Perfectly iced Champagne on arrival, dinner tasty - particularly salmon starter. Breakfast just the right portions, extra toast, coffee offered - all great service. A request for a later check-out - only an hour - was granted with a smile, and to be honest, it made all the difference and we departed unrushed. I think I'd like to sneak back in the winter and try the same room again !!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Strick99

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us once again.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Kind regards,