“Beautiful building but pushy staff”
Review of Bishopstrow House

Bishopstrow House
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Warminster
Reviewed 3 September 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night on a groupon deal, which included bed, breakfast, 2 course dinner and use of the spa. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the beautiful building in its immaculate grounds, and were given a brief tour of the main areas before being shown to our room. We had been upgraded to a HUGE family room with massive ensuite. It was very clean and beautifully furnished and decorated. We went to use the spa, which had been pointed out to us on our tour, but it was a maze with insufficient signage. It would have been better if we had been given a tour of that too! It took us about 10 minutes to find our way to the pools, then we had to go back through the maze to find reception to get towels. Once we settled it was very relaxing, although there were quite a few children until 6pm.
The evening meal was pleasant but not extraordinary, but we did feel under pressure to order extras. Our prepaid deal was for two courses and when we asked for a main instead of a starter we were made to feel uncomfortable. Also, when we only ordered a glass of wine (enough as my husband doesn't drink) an issue was made of taking away excess wine glasses. We were offered water, then charged £4.10 for a 500ml bottle! The wine was also very expensive! We were also told we needed to order a side order of vegetables as this was not included in the meal.
Value wise, it was expensive but good quality. The hotel itself was very pleasant, but the staff need to relax and let people enjoy themselves without putting pressure on to spend more money, before I'd consider giving it an excellent.

2  Thank Fullamfamily
Jason T, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your choosing the Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa for your stay.

I am delighted to read your comments regarding the room and the hotel. Thank you for your kind appreciation.

I do apologise if you felt under pressure by the member of staff to order sides. May be the staff should have explained more clearly to you that the side dishes and vegetables need to be ordered separately as the dishes on the menu do not come with anything on the side.

I would also like to inform you that the member of staff that took the wine glass away, by no means was trying to be rude. When we lay the tables, we lay all the cutlery and glasses down as we are not sure what our guests will order. Once the order is placed, we then take away any items that you will not be using. This is so you can have more room on the table. This would be a standard policy at most venues of similar level. I apologise, if you felt the staff was being rude.

Thank you for all your constructive comments regarding the food service and the location of the spa. I have taken these on board and will put into action the necessary corrective measures where needed.

Once again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you, my team and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Just returned for an amazing two night stay at the Bishopstow and can't stop telling people about it.
The service was excellent and the staff were so helpful.
Our room, the oval room, in the main house, was fantastic...two roll top baths overlooking fields, comfortable bed..what more could you want!
The food was delicious and the spa was great - clean and not at all crowded- we intentionally used the pool at times when children aren't able to use it as we were there to fully relax but if you have children with you, they would love the pool!
I can't understand how some reviewers could find fault with this hotel. It was a wonderful break and I really hope we can return one day. We booked via secret escapes and are very happy with the offer we got through them for dinner, bed and breakfast and rasul treatment.

Room Tip: The oval room was stayed in is called the Master Suite on the Bishopstrow website.
1  Thank jessica m
Jason T, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your leaving a review on the Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa and for your kind words.

My team and I will be delighted to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Lovely staff, food average and the amount of children awful. Went for a romantic overnight stay the children were in both the outdoor and indoor pools, in the lounge a screaming baby and in restaurant in both the evening and at an early breakfast which we took to avoid them hoping they would breakfast later. What a shame because the staff were really helpful, save the chef who was not up to par, the room was lovely and it should have been a lovely romantic break for my husband and I.

Room Tip: Ask how many children are booked in.
2  Thank Harriet R
Jason T, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Thank you for leaving a review on your recent stay at Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa

Thank you for your kind comments on our staff. However, I am disappointed to hear that your recent stay with us, did not meet with your expectations.

As you visited us during the school holidays we were exceptionally busy and there were more families staying with us than there would be in term time, but this is to be expected when visiting in School Holidays. As a Country House Hotel our bedrooms are all unique and individual and as a result of this our Family Rooms are located in all parts of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back again, perhaps during a quieter time of the year

Reviewed 30 August 2014

I'm so annoyed reading some of the other reviews! You always get people nit-picking about things, and most of the negative comments I've read are making a mountain out of a mole hill!

We stayed for 1 night on a groupon voucher. We arrived in a bad mood (3 hours stuck on the M25!!) but that was all forgotten as we drove in. Beautiful grounds and a stunning main building. The receptionist was extremely helpful. We went through to the lounge initially for tea (tip - ask for tea bags not leaves! I love a stong cup, but even I couldn't stomach the strength!).

I upgraded our room and the receptionist carried out luggage through the hotel to the Wimborne Room - honestly our breath was taken away at our room! A bathroom bigger than my whole downstairs at home, with a double shower and roll top bath! The bedroom had an enormous bed, and seating area with TV. The best bit was double doors onto our own patio area and gardens. Stunning!!!

We also had dinner in the restaurant. Slightly odd set up, in that you have drinks and order your food in the lounge, and they come and get you and take you through to the restaurant when the food is ready. Bit odd, but worth it! The food was absolutely fantastic! 3 courses that we could of licked the plate after!

The spa was lovely too - shame children are allowed during set times, but that's just my opinion! Wonderful sauna, steam room, jacuzzi etc.

Really didn't want to leave! Loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Wimborne (was £30 upgrade). Worth every penny and more! Super quiet and had a delig...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Katie S
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Booked this overnight stay as a surprise for my Husband's birthday. Am SO glad I chose Bishopstrow. We both ended up being surprised to find that we'd been given a complementary upgrade to one of the suites. Amazing place - probably one we'll never be able to experience again. The rooms were clean, well furnished and welcoming with lots of little extras from tea/coffee & bathroom toiletries. Couldn't ask for anything more. Our suite looked out over the grounds so it was lovely waking up the next morning and being able to open up the balcony doors.

Spa facilities were well organised, clean & very relaxing.

Couldn't fault the food from evening meal through to breakfast. We picked between the Al a Carte menu and lighter bites - flavours were incrediable.

ALL the members of staff we met were professional, helpful and friendly - thank you for making this an amazing visit.

1  Thank Lucky222

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Bishopstrow Hotel & Spa

I am delighted to read that we have been successful in providing you with the level of service we pride ourselves on.

I have passed your feedback and thanks on to the team as it is always nice for them to hear their hard work is appreciated and that it really makes your stay special.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Returned yesterday from a 1 night stay at Bishopstrow House and I cannot fault it. Reception could not have been more accommodating on arrival, our bags were stored whilst we used the spa as our room was not ready. The spa was very quiet and relaxing, facilities were good. The communal rooms were old fashioned and charming. The staff in all areas of the hotel were polite, friendly and helpful. Dinner was delicious, breakfast was very filling! We even managed a swim in the outdoor pool whilst it stopped raining for twenty minutes! The walk to the river is very nice. The superior room was delightful with a huge bathroom and a very comfortable, big bed. I would not hesitate to recommend this place to family and friends. Very romantic setting and went home feeling incredibly relaxed.

Perfect!

Room Tip: Superior Room was wonderful, bathroom was huge, bed was massive and we could not have been happier.

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful time with us and that we exceeded all your expectations to give you a well deserved relaxing break.

Thank you for all of your kind comments which I have passed on to the team, we all look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We have just got back from visiting bishopstrow house for the weekend. Overall a lovely stay, however a few small things did leave us slightly baffled and miffed

We stayed in a room next to the spa in the courtyard - I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and asked for somewhere with easy access as we brought our dog and also I have a condition which affects my hips. We were accommodated very happily and easily and were happy with our room. However every night, morning and sometimes in the day the people upstairs were like a herd of elephants, it was ridiculously loud, it couldn't even been contributed just to it being an old building. We could hear every single step - I get tired easily and was in bed by 10.30 both nights but it took considerably longer than usual for me to fall asleep due to the noise coming from above.

2nd thing that confused us was the lack of dog poo bins. We always pick up after our dog and were confused after we couldn't find any bins anywhere, but lots of poo littering the grounds - obviously other owners either couldn't find bins so gave up picking it up or the bishopstrow don't expect the visitors to pick it up which is pretty gross to be honest! I wouldn't be happy to let my child play in those fields covered in dog poo! On a few occasions we actually went into the house and asked for somewhere to put the poo and a member of staff came and took it away?! Very bizarre! I know poo bins would ruin the look of the hotel but it would be much easier for the concerning dog owner to have somewhere to put their dog poo after they have picked it up!

3rd and final thing that bugged us was the food - we booked a babymoon package where we had a spa treatment and 3 course meal included etc. We went to the restaurant to find that hardly anything on it was pregnancy friendly. I actually really wanted the goats cheese and have avoided it my whole pregnancy due to the listeria risks however I thought why not if I'm pampering myself so I asked the waitress if it was cooked and also pasteurised - if a soft cheese is pasteurised and cooked it kills off any bacteria that could be lurking which could be a danger to a pregnant lady. She went and checked with the chef and said yes it is pasteurised and yes it comes out cooked, so I almost jumped for joy and ordered it. However it arrived and was freezing cold - obviously not cooked, hormonal (maybe) but I cried and got really upset, how disappointing for me but I didn't have the heart to tell the waiter that I couldn't eat it so I just pushed it around my plate. Main course was fine but again desert - not much for a pregnant lady - in the end I just asked for ice cream which they accommodated - even if they seemed a little surprised at my simple request lol. These things could be easily remedied - simplify the menu so it's easier for someone who is pregnant to decide whether they can eat it (If I don't know what it is I'm not eating it) and also add more options that are suitable if you are going to offer babymoon packages.

Otherwise a good stay and we enjoyed ourselves.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Hannahrichard

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on Trip Advisor.

I apologise that Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa were unable to provide you with the relaxing time away that you were looking for. I am really disappointed to read your experience with us and that we were unable to meet with your satisfaction on the three levels you mention in your review.

I can assure you that this is not the usual levels of service we offer. However, errors do occur sometimes. I have taken this up with the team and will put necessary corrective measure in place.

Thank you for your constructive feedback on the room, the food and service and regarding the dog litter bins in the gardens. I will make sure that corrective measures are put in place.

I can only apologise for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us. I do hope that you will be able to give Bishopstrow Hotel another chance to prove ourselves to you.

Jason Thorley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warminster
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Woolley Grange
Woolley Grange
#2 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon

Been to Bishopstrow House? Share your experiences!