“Stunning - Autumn colours at Stourhead”

Stourhead House and Garden
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Warminster
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My husband and I live not too far from Stourhead and visit quite often. However, Autumn is our favourite time to visit and walk the grounds. The colours of the trees are just stunning and probably the best we have ever seen. Lots of places to sit and eat a picnic.
Depending on how long we have when we visit, there are various walks either long or a short routes around the grounds - so something for all ages and abilities

1  Thank LAD63
There are newer reviews for Stourhead House and Garden

Reviewed 26 September 2011

A very beautiful garden and surrounds but a lot of walking so make sure you're suitably attired, i.e. walking boots.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

I went to Stourhead last Monday afternoon having telephoned the property's recorded information line the night before to check on opening times. Although there had been warnings of gales, the info' line made no reference to these. In the morning we visited Longleat which was fully open and the epitome of an excellent visitor experience in every respect. Sadly the same cannot be said of Stourhead. When we arrived at the property's carpark we were confronted with signs telling us that the car park was pay-and-display. We are not National Trust members and so knowing that we were already going to be expected to buy a ticket (plus discretionary extra donation as the signs suggested to us), I went to the ticket office to ask if I really was to pay for parking in addition to admission. On entering the office, I was greeted by a lady memeber of staff with "Yes, what can I do for you?".

When I explained that I wished to buy two tickets and wondered if this inluded the parking, I was bluntly told that the property was shut due to "Health and Safety". I explained that I had telephoned the information line prior to driving from Shropshire that morning but rather than proffering any kind of apology I was told that the gardeners had decided to shut the gardens due to the winds and that tree felling on the approach to the House meant that even that could not be visited. There was no signage advising of this at the entrance to the property and no attempt made to pre-warn visitors using the information line. All in all a waste of time and fuel caused by a so-called environmental charity!

4  Thank williamsdogpole
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Stourhead house: Interesting interior, beautifully furnished and with fascinating history of the owners. Helpful room stewards and useful information sheets in each room. A lasting memory is the Pope's Cabinet - a recently restored jewelled 16th century cabinet standing 13 ft high. Lots of children's activities (colouring, trying on clothes, games) in the basement area. Also in the basement were slide shows about the house.

Landscaped Park: Well known for being amazing. We walked round the large lake in the torrential rain which was a mixed blessing as we were virtually the only people there and could experience seclusion and space in the gardens. We very much enjoyed our walk, despite the weather.

Restaurant: We had hot meals which were very similar to those found in other National Trust restaurants. The bread pudding from the separate kiosk was rather pricey

This is a place that you could return to several times as there is so much of interest to explore.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

Our first visit to Stourhead, which is strange beraing mind its so local.

We only went round the gardens and what lovely gardens they are and great views from all sides of the lake.

The national trust cafe also very good, a little expensive, but good quality and plenty of choice.

Will definately be going back !