“Full day out” 5 of 5 bubbles

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Full day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Had a lovely day at this National Trust property. Started with the garden tour which gave us an insight to the history of the property. Then went on with a walk round the lake. All very beautiful. At one end of the lake is the village where one may indulge in a fine pub lunch. Then on to the house. Most enjoyable and interesting. We finished the day with a look round the stable yard, the upper gardens and walled gardens. After such a full day we left happily tired and ready for a cool glass of Somerset cider. Well worth a visit.

Visited August 2014

• Polish first
UK
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“The Place I Love”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I visited Stourhead in May but I forgot to include a review. First let me say as lovely as the house is the gardens are something else. This is a post Civil War house and in style reminded me of Stowe in Buckinghamshire which I know well.

On the day I arrived I must have forgotten my National Trust card but the staff called in for me and gave me a temporary ticket and gave me a map pointing out places of interest. I can not commend the staff highly enough.

My favourite room was the drawing room which included an English chandelier which in itself is a rarity. We were told not to chat to the owner but as I was looking at her photos one of which included someone I was huge fan of in his early years so I commented and we had a lovely chat and hence the title of this review.

The day I visited Stourhead I had been for a lovely 6 mile walk in the Wiltshire countryside and it was on this walk Sarah, one of the walkers recommend I visit Stourhead. I would say unless you are very fit I would not recommend a walk before visiting because on the day I visited I walked around the gardens approx. 2 miles if you cover the whole gardens and then I visited the house and afterwards I was asked if I had seen the ice house and I must have missed this so I followed a new route visited the ice house but this led me other new paths I had not walked and the views were breath taking so I walked some more this brings you part way around the gardens and circling back is about the same time as going forward so I ended up walking the gardens twice but they are so beautiful this is not a hardship if one is up the challenge as the terrain is undulating especially when one reaches the Temple of Apollo. I had my walking boots on so I was well equipped. I would recommend you do the same as some of the climbs are steeper than a gentle stroll.

Next time I am in the Wiltshire area I will be certain to visit again and would highly recommend Stourhead as a place to visit. Follow the map and you will be fine. I did and managed to see all the attractions. The only thing which slightly marred the walk was that the Pantheon was under urgent repair so it is a tad unsightly but when one thinks of how long it has stood there then it can hardly be a surprise so I hope to return when the building works have been completed as then it will look even more stunning.

One of the finest National Trust gardens I have visited.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank JelloRezillo
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The views!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful place to enjoy nature and breathtaking scenery. If you enjoy picnics, this is a great place to have one. Make sure to tour the house while there. It's truly a spectacular home. The trails are well paved and you can spend hours exploring the plant and animal life. Worth the trip and I highly recommend it.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Vasantib
Essex, England
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Great Place to Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We went to Stourhead on the way to my Brothers and was not disappointed. Great house great gardens, you would expect nothing else from the National Trust.

What I would expect is a little more signage in the garden, it needs more signs to guide you round and directions to the toilets. We were lucky we met a guide and she directed us to the nearest exit which happened to be the longest way but the most prettiest.

All the staff were affable, courteous, knowledgable and most of all very friendly. If you want to go to King Alfred's Tower check the timetable for it's opening hours, seems only week-ends, but worth a visit, it is a nice walk and an amazing tri-cornered piece of architecture.

GO.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Tad666
Crowborough, England, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Favourite national trust property so far.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We visited Stourhead in early August on a reasonably sunny day,The staff were very helpful on arrival and talked us through the best route around the gardens.

The scenery can best be described as breath taking,with many hidden gems such as the grotto.The gardens are so large that at no point was it crowded and even though we visited in the summer holidays it was quiet and peaceful.

The only slight downside was with the quality of the food on offer in the onsite cafe,the lemon drizzle cake was so dry and powdery you needed a cup of tea to wash it down.

We would definitely recommend a visit to Stourhead and will return again when in the area.

Visited August 2014