Review Highlights
Enjoyable visit

Had a lovely visit here. Staff very helpful, shuttle bus to garden and house. Also buggy ride in... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
jennytillman
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
via mobile
A nice place to visit

I went to Stourhead House and Gardens with my friends on the way back from a holiday in the UK... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
samroz3
London, United Kingdom

2,190 results
All reviews spread eagle autumn colours national trust stunning gardens the follies king alfred's tower full bloom the pub walk round the lake farm shop every corner nt properties car park sunny day lovely walk lovely place to visit rhododendrons
Reviewed 9 January 2019

This place is simply gorgeous. We went in January, when it was lovely and cold. It's a pleasant walk, nothing to hard. Next time we come down we're going to go even further up to the obelisk (as we missed it this time).

Recommend to anyone, there are loads of places for kids to see, as well as a relatively easy walk for anyone. It's not too far round either.

Reviewed 7 January 2019 via mobile

Have wanted to visit for such a long time and on Saturday we finally got round to visiting. What idiots for leaving it so long.

We are members of the National Trust so parking and entry was free. If you are a member you need to go to the parking meter press the yellow button I think it was and then scan your membership card.

First thing we did was to visit the restaurant for drinks and bacon rolls. A little pricey and would have preferred bread rather than a bap however the bacon was excellent so worth it in the end.

Entry to the estate was easy and we were given an explanation regarding what was open in the house. We chose to walk around the lake first to enjoy the various vantage points. We followed the map and it was easy to follow to walk around. Any steep obstacles are mentioned with diversions available.

There are so many photographs of Stourhead you may have seen and choosing a new vantage point can be challenging. We stopped half way round for more drinks in the Gothic Cottage.

We looked around the churchyard and also went in St Peter’s Church. The pub looked very inviting and will probably go when we next visit.

At the end of our visit we also managed to find some bargains in the shop, one of which was a DVD about Stourhead at War. Very interesting.

This is a fabulous place to buy and we plan to go back at least twice this year hopefully when there are some blue skies

Reviewed 6 January 2019

A long wonder around and amazing and beautiful garden with many hidden treasures. My first visit but not my last. Best time to visit is early in the morning or late afternoon. Gets very busy in the summer. It was a quite time just after the new year.

Reviewed 6 January 2019

I visited for the for time as a lapsed NT member, therby having to pay for access. £11 per adult (x2) for access to the gardens, plus £4 to park.
HOWEVER, it became very clear that if you park near to King Alfred's Tower, you can walk down the vally, cross a style and, hey presto, you are in the Gardens....for nothing!
When highlighted to the staff, it was clear that this is known about ("the locals often do that"), but there is no process to stop it happening.
Similarly, you might want to try parking on the road by the "Spread Eagle" pub to avoid the £4 car park charge, as a couple in a BMW did.
I am a great supporter of the work that the NT do, and will continue to be so. My issue is with the unfairness of the admission process.
If you have paid, as we did, £26 to access the gardens, only to find that people were gaining entry for nothing, and the stafff are aware but "can't police it", you have a right to feel cheated.
My next visit will see me park "off site" and access the gardens via the style; I'm not going to get caught twice!

2  Thank Fairbutaccurate
Reviewed 6 January 2019

We had an extremely expensive walk around very busy gardens and the wider grounds. Lots of people walking dogs some of whom seemed unable to use dog poo bins with plastic bags deposited on styles and at gates!
We ate in the cafe/restaurant which included a long queue for drinks and to place our order. Partner's was an only-just lukewarm hot chocolate and an extremely ordinary Greggs-type sausage roll. I was surprised that the National Trust were not more on their game in terms of tasty, local produce and good service given the price premium. The back of the kitchen also looked like a bomb had hit it - just a poor visitor experience overall.

1  Thank JJF342