“Not As Good As It Was...........”
Review of Longleat

Longleat
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Warminster
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 3 September 2014

I have visited Longleat half a dozen times over the last 10 years or so and always thought it was really good. However, My wife and I took our daughter and 2 grandkids last week and were distinctly unimpressed.
Three adults and 2 small children in one car £130! Half an hour wait just to pay and get in to find the safari park closed, open in 20 minutes! So off to the house and other attractions.
Pets Corner is no more, replaced by an inferior complex with less animals, indeed this is the theme of the new layout, less of everything but more to pay for everything. How can £2.50 for one Magnum ice cream and £2.20 for a half litre bottle of cola be justified? The railway was closed with just a note apologising for any inconvenience, the queue for the safari boat was approx. 50 mins..
When we did do the safari park drive through it was spoilt by some of the security gates around the big cat areas being woefully slow to be opened, by hand in most cases, leading to long delays.
We visited Woburn Safari Park earlier this year and had a good day there (also reviewed) and both my wife and I will be heading in their direction next time.

1  Thank tadleyterry
Write a ReviewReviews (6,756)
All reviews
in 136 reviews
"festival of lights"
in 240 reviews

Reviewed 3 September 2014

Clearly Saturday 23rd August was not the best day to visit Longleat. Took 45 minutes to reach the ticket office from the grounds entrance and this was at 10.30am. The Safari park was closed until 12.00pm so I started on the other attractions.

Birds of prey demo was very good, they really do fly low, thus making photography dangerous. The children only attractions were very busy although not sure what Postman Pat was doing here, but it raised a laugh or two. The bat cave seemed short of bats, whilst the Mirror Maze was potentially dangerous as you can easily walk into the glass if you don't concentrate.

There is definitely a love for mazes here, and indeed the famous big maze is worth 5 stars on its own. Without doubt the biggest and best I have seen in Britain, great design as there's no dead ends although you can end up walking around in circles. When you reach the tower in the middle you can then watch all of the others "get lost" so to speak.

The house was virtually empty so pretty of room to walk around, if you do visit check out the paintings, very modern shall we say! Did want to try the jungle cruise but the queues were 30 minute long so had to give that a miss. The animal attractions or mini zoo seemed very popular with the children.

Well at 3.30pm I set off for the Safari, which involves a four mile drive to end up about 1 mile from where you have started. As reported the monkeys are dangerous, there's only one Elephant, Annie and the wild and dangerous animals were popular. In fact it took over an hour to drive through the Tiger and Lion enclosures. I seem to spend most of the time watching the metal gates opening and closing. 3 Tigers and 9 Lions seen, no Cheetahs and only one Timberwolf spotted; not a great return for sitting in a traffic jam.

However, given I paid the £31.50 entrance fee through my Tesco Vouchers, I cannot complain about value for money; I just wish I choose a quieter day.

Reviewed 3 September 2014

A fantastic day out - not cheap - but the experience has hugely improved over the years, and really was a full day of fun and adventure.
The monkeys, sea lions, deer feeding and sting rays are all great interactive experiences

Reviewed 3 September 2014

Had an amazing day in longleat with the safari blowing us away, you really do get up close with the wild animals! All our children (aged between 2 and 11yrs) thoroughly enjoyed the park and all the attractions. Something for everyone. Although the train is currently not working we still got excellent value for money and were not disappointed. Will definitely go back in the future!