“Lovely setting”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 June 2014

A lovely setting to have a meal out, very peaceful and beautiful. However our experience of the meal did not match the setting. It was very basic and poorly presented on the plate. The chips looked like what you may get from McDonald's. Very disappointed and felt hungry afterwards. Would only return for a drink by the canal.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Just returned from two night stay and wanted to say that it has been a fantastic break.
Location is great the hotel and pub run very well by exceedingly personable staff
Nothing was too much trouble for us and our two dogs my husband was very impressed by the quality of the beer!! The breakfast and dinners were of a very high quality

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Despite having booked a table for Father's Day, we were still left to wait almost an hour for our food and even then I'd had to ask how much longer we could be expected to wait.
The food itself was very tasty but a very poor selection and minute portion of vegetables were available. A small dish of cauliflower and green beans were offered with only six green beans each, this small dish was all that was offered alongside two slices of beef, 3 small roast potatoes and a minute Yorkshire pudding for which I was charged £15. In addition, there were no serving spoons on the table therefore we had to use desert spoons instead. Table etiquette also left a lot to be desired with dirty glasses and cutlery being cleared off the table whilst we were still eating. What food was offered was nice, just a lack of it. The setting of the pub is wonderful but the poor service and poor value for money lets it down. I will not be choosing this restaurant again anytime soon.

2  Thank madgen
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We chose this by chance off the internet for a meeting with the children who live nearby and being a sailor my wife thought it would be nice to be beside a small river, which I thought would be the Frome. ( but it wasn't) Really nice welcome from the SA hosts and they had changed our table to be in the bar by the window where we could bring our small doggie on a lead. Whilst waiting for the children I had a couple of Funky Monkey bitters and Nancy had a glass of red wine which she thought was lovely. When kids arrived we started looking at menu and my youngest went for the chicken goujons and Nancy and I shared a prawn cocktail-type starter ( cannot remember its precise name. ) When the goujons arrived they were massive and were top notch chicken breast, my son who had not chosen a starter eyed them nervously but she ate the lot. I had a very fresh-tasting set of prawns in a nice light dressing which I shared with Nancy. Main courses, Nancy went for lamb me pork and the children beef. All very nice and served with a nice gravy although we asked for more and it came quickly. LIttle one had a child portion of beef which defeated her so I took it home and scoffed it for lunch the next day - boy of 14 loved the vegetables and the beef although was a bit fussy over the shaved parsnips shavings which were lovely and crispy. So I had his. Puddings, Children had ice cream ( included in the little one's child lunch at a very reasonable £4.95 and the boy had chocolate brownie fudge cake which he loved, Nancy and I shared a raspberry cheesecake which she thought a bit too fresh creamy rather than cake, so I had most of it. Very reasonable bill for 4 of £78 and we left a £10 tip. Afterwards we went outside to the nice lawn and sat by the river and watched the little silver salmon fry in the sahllows, with lots of nice families doing the same. I have posted pictures of the puddings here and a few outdoor shots. Loos - mens were fresh and clean. Nancy said womens' were good - lots of free parking. Cute phonebox outside. Convoluted route to leave due accident balckspot on A36 but apparently this is to be sorted out by Council. Excellent service from all staff. It's rare I give 5 stars to everything, but in this case I do.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Excellent service, give Maddi a raise ;), great food the pork is gorgeous and atmosphere great, tip visit the telephone/reading box outside of the restaurant