“Ideal”

The Walnut Tree Inn
Ranked #14 of 24 Warminster B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Found this lovely place online whilst looking for a weekend away. Being a pub/restaurant, we were slightly concerned about kicking out time at a weekend, but it was not an issue at all. So, in brief:

Pros -
Polite, pleasant staff, absolutely nothing was too much trouble, highly professional
Nicely decorated with contemporary, airy decor, lovely big bathroom with quality fixtures, warm room, spotlessly clean.
Delicious food, served hot, fresh and in a pleasant setting
Lovely village location whilst also being close to towns
Well stocked tea/coffee/choc tray complete with delicious biscuits, quality toiletries and a large flatscreen TV
Very competitively priced.

Con
If you are of a large size, you may struggle a tad with the snug shower space. Yes, that really is the only thing we could think of to list as any kind of con. And even this would be no problem as the bath is huge.

Overall, a quiet, calm and pleasant place to stay. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would happily recommend it and stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed here the weekend of the 27/01/12 with my girlfriend for a romantic break which included going for a walk around Stourhead and then to the Twilight Spa at Longleat. The location was fantastic for both, there wasn’t very much driving needed at all.
The room was immaculate, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was again immaculate and the shower and bath were brilliant (hot, powerful and clean!).
We ate here on the Friday night and again the food was lovely and there was a good atmosphere.
When we came down for breakfast the table was already set for us, and the staff were very patiently waiting to take our order. We asked what the choice was and were told "if we have it then you can order it", what a breath of fresh air this was as opposed to the usual set breakfast menu!
I honestly can’t fault this Inn/B&B, I would stay here again in a flash.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This is a very unique hotel, completely refurbished, on the 2nd floor of a pub/bar. The owners/operators take pride in their work and seek to accommodate both the pub patrons as well as the hotel guests.

I met a business client in the pub, where I ordered fish & chips and he something Italian. Both meals were excellent, and for the price great. We enjoyed a local beer from the tap, and being in the bar area, were pleased that we could still have a business conversation. This may not be so on a Friday night; the place looks likes it gets going and was fairly busy on the Wednesday night I was there.

I had made a reservation on-line, sight unseen - so I wasn't sure what to expect. The price was good, and maybe I was prepared for the worse. However, I was checked-in, given a key, and my room readied while I dined.

It's not handicapped-ready and the long flight of stairs was a climb, but not difficult with my light luggage. Upstairs was a secondary door - keeps anyone without a key from visiting the hotel rooms sleeping area. And the security of cameras gave me more comfort - although seemingly not required for the general area (outside of a small, quiet town).

The absolutely clean room was decorated nicely. It had complementary tea and cookies - coffee too. The bathtub and shower were provided with plenty of clean towels on a warming rack. The room not overly large, was still big enough not to feel claustrophobic, and to lay out my bags without tripping over them. There are about 5 rooms upstairs for hotel guests…and the owners live right there too.

With Wifi, TV/tele, and good phone reception I was ok for conducting business. However, it's a nice, authentic/historic place that would be perfect for couples spending a weekend away. It's not really close to any stores or shopping amenities but it was interesting on its own.

I actually look forward to returning - it's on the way from London to Exeter and "just" off the motorway (quiet, no road noise at all). And most of all, it's really clean and well done.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We booked two rooms the walnut and the sycamore they are the best rooms we have stayed in with superb luxury bathrooms, The breakfast was very nice and the evening meals also exellent.
All the staff are very pleasant and helpfull.
There is a realy good quiz night on Monday, I would recomend this inn to everybody travelling neaar to MERE Wiltshire.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

Stayed at this Inn With Hubby, Daughter in Law and 2yr old Grandaughter, prior to visiting Longleat Xmas special. On arrival we were welcomed and shown to our family room. WOW. The attention to detail and cleanliness of the room was first class. The staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble. We had Dinner in the restaurant, the menu was varied for both adults and children. We all enjoyed our meals and the presentation was lovely. Very comfortable beds, we all slept well. Breakfast was included in the price, which was also very good. Great value for money!! I have stayed in many B&B's some good, some very poor, ( that has cost us more for two ) than I paid here for the four of us. Shame it was only the one night. I would definitely recommended this place to anyone who is visiting the area.

Room Tip: All rooms are too the same excellent standard.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank lilygill
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We have just finished a 3 night stay. The food was great and very reasonably priced, the accommodation was of a very high standard, and the staff were very friendly and efficient. We will certainly return.

Reviewed 6 November 2011

I booked a 1 night stay here while visiting Wincanton racecourse with my girlfriend and was very impressed with the service, accommodation and food. This is a family run establishment that is friendly with a smile. The room we booked was the largest available and was of high quality. Big expensive bed and furniture that is well decorated. We also had a huge bathroom with bath and shower. All very clean. The evening dinner and morning breakfast was also well cooked with good size portions. I honestly have nothing negative to say here. Thank you The Walnut Tree Inn.