“Still producing Fabulous Food + Excellent Service”
Review of The Longs Arms

The Longs Arms
Price range: US$5 - US$47
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Longs Arms is a beautiful country pub serving cask ale and fresh seasonal food in a relaxed environment with warm and friendly service. We are located in the heart of the lovely village of South Wraxall – just 3 miles from the picturesque town of Bradford on Avon, and 7 miles from the historical city of Bath.
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I wrote a review for this lovely pub last year and ate there again today, which was a pleasure.

My family, friends and I shared a selection of starters including smoked salmon (smoked onsite), crispy lamb and a little cup of Lobster and Crab soup. Everything was beautifully presented and we enjoyed more than generous portions.

It was supposed to be a quick lunch, but it didn't turn out that way - why rush such good food.

Our main courses included burgers (the biggest, tastiest and most powerfully flavoured burger I've ever had, which for my taste buds was delightful and delivered in a beautifully soft homemade roll) and duck (perfectly cooked as requested) with lovely accompanying vegetables and jus.

We had no room for desserts but enjoyed the homemade chocolates kindly given to us when we paid.

This is another great place I'll need to revisit soon.

1  Thank CillaChilds344

Reviewed 22 June 2013

We wanted somewhere new to take Grandad for his lunch as we really struck lucky with the Longs Arms.

It has the atmosphere of a traditional country pub but the food is a real step up from the norm.

The welcome when we arrived was very warm and the service pretty much perfect. Unusually, there was full table service rather than food ordering at the bar.

All the food was home made including home cured ham, home made venison salami, and the lovely ice cream.

Grandad had ham egg and chips, one of the cheaper items at £10. A very generous portion of exceptional ham came with two eggs and good chips. He couldn't eat all the ham so it was packed up for him to take home.

I had roast lamb with crushed new potatoes, spring greens and sika salami. Jeff had a spelt risotto with home smoked salmon, samphire, fresh peas, beans and asparagus. Both dishes were tasty and well judged and presented.

Grandad hasn't stopped talking about his bowl of rice pudding, apple and gooseberry compote with dried alpine strawberries.

I had the home made ice cream -apple pie, pistachio and coffee flavours which came with dried raspberry and honeycomb pieces.

Jeff had the chocolate fondant with passion fruit sorbet. It came sprinkled with popping candy which did disconcert him.

There were limited Wadsworth draught beers but plenty of interesting bottles.

We would thoroughly recommend this exceptional pub. It is very easy to reach from Bath and the nearby NT garden at Holt is worth visiting.

2  Thank HazelRuth
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We went on a week day evening and were there early to catch the last of the sun in the garden. The place was initially quite empty but the staff and locals were very welcoming. The garden is a sheltered spot and very pleasant. By the time we went inside for dinner the pub was filling up. We ad starters,mains and coffee. All courses were excellent with simple yet vibrant flavours. The landlady was very helpful in asking the chef how he made one of the sauces which we have since recreated at home. If we lived nearer we would be there every night! Good beer and wine selection too.

1  Thank Emma P
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I really didn't expect the food to be as good as it was. It's difficult to judge a pub based on good reviews alone but I was pleasantly surprised by the amount and quality of the food.

I had the lamb roast - the gravy was scrumptious and tasty (could have been slightly thicker) topped with spring greens, piled with perfectly cooked juicy lamb shoulder and a dollop of fresh mint sauce on top (which was quite thick, sometimes you find home made mint sauce can be rather thin - this wasn't). My son had roast beef, which was also perfectly cooked. They also brought out extra roast potatoes (I already had enough crunchy roasties on my plate as it was) and they were also very good as far as roast potatoes go. They also brought out a delicious cauliflower cheese dripping in westcombe cheddar topped with crispy breadcrumbs and toasted under the grill - delicious.

However, the highlight was most definitely the dessert.

A perfectly set buttermilk panna cotta (they called it buttermilk pudding) with 3 creamy blobs of berry sorbet, a few tiny sprigs of baby mint leaves, fresh sweet strawberries, a few freeze dried (crispy, melt in the mouth) strawberries, a few small chunks of home made honeycomb and to top it all off, a sprinkling of freeze dried raspberry pieces and popping candy! Fantastic. One of the nicest desserts I have ever eaten.

My son had a selection of home made ice creams, which were bordering on heavenly - especially the pistachio ice cream which tasted like pistachio peanut butter blended with double cream and sugar, perfectly smooth and unctuous, it stuck to the roof of your mouth before slowly melting over the tongue. The 'apple pie' ice-cream was also brilliantly executed.

Would highly recommend this pub, it's a shame it's in the middle of no where really.

The drinks selection could be slightly more varied but I have to say this has to be one of the nicest meals I've ever had in a pub.

I am in no way affiliated with this pub, I went there based on other good review on Trip Advisor... Brilliant!

2  Thank rich b
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This little gem south of Bristol has the perfect mix of countyside charm, amazing yet unbelievably well priced food/ drinks and a great setting. When me and some friends were en route to Froom a small village south of Bath we were desperately in need of a bite to eat. We stopped at the long arms for a much needed rest and some food. It was spectacular food, all was very well priced and the service was second to none. I honestly can't recommend this countryside gem enough, whether your just looking for an ice cold beer (of which they have a great variety) or a meal you won't forget in a hurry this is the place to visit! Thanks to all the staff for making us feel so welcome.