“Woolley Towers more like!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Woolley Grange

Woolley Grange
“Woolley Towers more like!”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Stayed recently with wife and 10 month old baby plus dog

Pros:

1. Beautiful period building from the outside with lovely maintained grounds

2. If you have children aged 5+ then this could be a good place for if you do not want luxury, but plenty of children activities and room for them to run around

3. Dog had great time, as could roam everywhere and roam off lead on the grounds except for eating areas of course

4. Steriliser, bottle warmer and a plug in mini fridge provided for baby (the best of the pros)

Cons:

1. This is a 3 star hotel NOT a luxury family hotel yet still charges luxury prices

2. Car parking not convenient for hotel (why is this such an issue you might ask?)

I don't think I have ever stayed at a hotel where they do not ask or help you with your bags to your room. For Woolley Grange this is apparently the norm? As we trundled through reception with bags, child in arm and dog on lead, nobody offered to help. Truly disgusting!

3. The room although officially should not be available until 3pm was not ready until 3:30pm. We specifically decided to arrive at about 2:30pm, as one would normally expect a room that is vacated at 11:30am that morning to surely be ready by 3pm, especially considering we would be arriving with a 10 month old baby and would need to get to a room instantly, either for feeding or changing.

4. On arrival we asked for something to eat - a food and drinks menu I hear you cry!! No chance this is Woolley Towers
"ham cheese or tuna my dear" was the verbal option

5. Room not ready - time to change nappy. Wife went into toilet which was dirty and not the most private downstairs toilet Another guest walked in and then left the door open on my wife changing a nappy - you know who you are, you should be embarrassed as a mother yourself!

6. Arrive in room, no tea/coffee making facilities.

7. No safe for personal belongings

8. No mini bar

9. Although room had been newly refurbished and was clean it was not a high quality and lacked any type of sumptuous feel (vinyl flooring to bathroom - do I need to say anymore)

10. Small bathroom, one sink, no separate shower

11. Communal areas in the hotel (close your eyes and hope you get to your destination in the hotel with minimal visual impact - very tired old and grubby)

12. Drink before dinner, never turned up

13. Food - we decided to take ourselves through to the dining area after waiting to long for a drink that never arrived

14. We were not offered the a la carte menu

15. On putting our baby to bed, travel cot provided had no matress, and simply a liner - luckily they had a spare old wooden cot that did have a foam air flow matress. What was concerning was that they thought the cot did not need a matress and that a liner would suffice? That said the gentleman on duty did sort a new cot out immediately

I needed to leave a day early due to work commitments, (a blessing in disguise). I had to get the bill adjusted twice and explain to them there own cancellation policy, otherwise we would have been charged 100% of the full cost of the room again after the initial 20% deposit for the second night we would not be staying

Two things did make us smile as we left. One, the fact that we were leaving, and two that I spotted one of the chefs walking around with an England team logo on his chef hat/cap, which again reminded me this was not a luxury location but that the euro football tournament was about to start!

In some ways I feel we should ask for a full refund for being mis sold what is apparently a "Luxury family hotel" break - feel free to offer us some compensation!

Simply reminding people that you are slowly refurbishing and looking to improve is in itself an admission that you are not there yet.

Until it is, Woolley Grange should not advertise itself as being the fished article. It should adjust its rating/description accordingly

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank OnlyLuxury O
ClareHammond, General Manager at Woolley Grange, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear OnlyLuxury O

Thank you very much for your feedback and I am delighted there were some pros for you during your stay.

I am sorry the start of your stay did not go smoothly and we did not manage to rectify these issues for you. Under our new ownership we are working on all areas to move forward the products and services we offer. We have started a guest questionnaire feedback form and the response we are receiving is very positive. During May 80% of our guests who responded said they would definitely recommend us to their friends and 18% said they would probably. Guests tell us the standard is very good and we want to keep improving it. We are actively responding to guests feedback by developing what we offer. For example we are currently trialling better quality travel cot mattresses and these will be introduced as soon as we have identified the right one.

Luxury is intangible and personal and what we offer is a homely experience. For example we do not think mini bars and safes are essential for a luxury break, however we do provide fridges for those who find them useful for baby milk. Attention to detail and quality are important so we have refurbished our bathrooms with Amtico floor tiles. Regretably things occasionally do not go as planned and we try to rectify any issue immediately. For example changing the cot for you.

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We will assess and act on your comments as part of our on-going programme of development.

Many thanks
Clare Hammond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Kent
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We booked this hotel for a lovely quite weekend away; it states that it is a Mr and Mrs Smith hotel so for the price we were expecting a luxury weekend. How disappointed we were, we were upgraded to a superior double room though we would never have guessed. The room was extremely tired and the bathroom had a very small bath and no shower. The bed was uncomfortable which led to a night of little sleep and backache the next day. We have stayed in other Mr and Mrs Smith hotels where the rooms for the same price were so much more luxurious. There was no tea or coffee making facilities in the room and the cost of ordering tea and coffee was expensive.

That said they are refurbishing the rooms so they can only improve, the view from our room was beautiful, the setting is very nice and dinner was lovely, though breakfast was disappointing.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that has been refurbished
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank j0j068
ClareHammond, General Manager at Woolley Grange, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Dear jojo68

Thank you very much for your feedback and taking the time to highlight aspects of your stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear your bed was uncomfortable. Within two weeks of buying Woolley in December, our new owners bought new beds for every bedroom. I check the beds with our Head Housekeeper and the suppier, so we ensure it does not affect other guests.

We have recently introduced guest questionanires so we can understand first hand how guests would like us to develop the hotel. We have received a lot of enthusiasm for in-room tea and coffee making facilities, so we are implementing that in the next month.

As you rightly said we have undertaken a programme of refurbishment and guests are benefitting from that straight away. We are not only improving bedrooms but we have also installed a cinema and are working on other area including the menus and wine list.

I very much hope we can encourage you to return and see how Woolley in developing over the forthcoming months.

Falmouth, Cornwall
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed here as a couple with no kids on a truly last-minute basis (about 10:30pm in the evening as the last gasp of a desperate search for somewhere to stay). It is a hotel meant for families, and therefore I don't seek to make too much comment other than to agree with a previous reviewer that it seems geared for younger children. For what it's worth the children we saw were all extremely well behaved and I could see why types like us might end up there.

The hotel has recently changed hands as a result of the collapse of the Von Essen group. It seems slightly chaotically run, but we quite liked the place. Lots of places to explore for the kiddies, very nice & modern spa, etc. I think that they will need to spend money here on the rooms etc, as you can see it has been somewhat neglected by the previous owners. It has great potential however and we wish them well.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Woolley.

We are in the process of refurbishing the bedrooms, half of which will be complete by the end of May. Over the next two months the public areas will also be gently nurtured back to life, enhancing the homely atmosphere with beautiful fabrics and furniture.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Woolley very soon to see the further changes we are making.

penzance, cornwall
Reviewed 7 May 2012

we were allocated a gorgeous, newly refurbished family suite (the garden room) which was across a courtyard from the hotel - kids room had bunks, tv with dvd player (discs to borrow free from reception), big squishy floor cushions, funky blankets & they loved it. whole suite was nicely furnished & spotlessly clean. comfy & obviously expensive pillows & matress made for a great couple of nights sleep.
food was lovely, we mixed & matched menus quite a bit, which seemed the norm - service was good with smiley, friendly & helpful staff.
1 previous review mentioned "worn" & the public areas definately are, but for us, this was great - original jacobean cladding, sofas & chairs that matched the era.
my children (9&12) were made so very welcome. they loved the hen house (with wii & pool table) which left us free to relax & enjoy some "us" time.
just before we left on the sunday morning, the children wanted a swim, but as the weather was awful, it was busy & they were having to restrict the no of people in at one time - the manager suggested that my children use the heated outdoor pool - which they did (supervised of course) & really enjoyed the experience of swimming in the rain!
we'd not stayed with any of this group of hotels before & didn't really know what to expect, but being able to mix good service, great food AND feeling that our children were welcome (rather than tolerated) was just fantastic. we'll definately visit again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I travelled with my 7 year old, cold rainy weather, she loved the place, it was mid week and she went straight into the kids club,walked around the garden, discovered the cubby house at the end of the walled garden.... So close to Bath and Longleat safari park which is great. It is all worn and cowry, beds old, old quilts and worn chairs, but that is kind of the beauty of it, kids can run around , no chance of damage. I could not have stayed in our room with mymhusband as the bed was only an old queen size, and there was a lot of noise from above, I could here voices and footsteps, I would def research thecorrect room next time, spa looks great and there is an indoor pool as well asmoutdoor heated pool. Its smaller that I thought, quite a small manor house, lovely features and original doors etc. Even had a playground, sand pit etc, lots of nooks and cranys .
My daughter loved it which made me enjoy our short time.

Room Tip: Don't get anyone above you in the out building ! You can hear everything.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Woolley.

I am delighted your daughter had a great time exploring all we have to offer and the location near Bath and Longleat worked so well for you.

i am sorry you were not entirely happy with your bedroom. We have many different size bedrooms which reflect the age of the building. We are really keen to chat through the most suitable room options for your family to ensure you are completely happy during your stay. Our new owners (we were bought in December 2011) started to invest in the hotel straight away and almost half our bedrooms havealready been refurbished.

I very much hope to be able to welcome you back.

With my best wishes

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Terrible welcome. You have to drag your own bags in from the car. Receptionist didn't welcome us, or ask us how we were, or if we had a good trip. Didn't actually say anything, so I had to say 'can we check in?'. Then watched my wife and I struggle up the stairs with heavy bags with their hands free.

This place is shabby chic without the chic. Fed up that some British hotels seem to think they can get away with this. If we go away for a weekend to a 'luxury hotel' then we want to feel luxury, not like we're staying at my grandma's house. Bath was so shabby we we're afraid to put our little girls in it.

Extreme lowlight was mealtimes. Literally like faulty towers. I'm 38 years old and this was the worse food service I have ever had. Everyone was grumbling, giving up and getting things themselves. We waited 75 minutes for the kids food. Outrageous. Next night we tried the pre order service. Food came quickly presumably because they'd cooked it at lunchtime. Terrible. Next night we ate out.

Pool was small. The only good thing was the childcare. Excellent. This raised my score from 1 star to 2.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank s132
Dear Guest

I was very sorry to read your review regarding the standard of service you received during your recent stay.

I have discussed the issues you raised with my Front of House Manager and my new Restaurant Manager, (who started at the beginning of May) to ensure your experience is not repeated.

We were sold in December 2011 and are delighted that our new owners immediately started a programme of refurbishment. Almost half our bedrooms have been refurbished and we are just starting work on the ground floor public areas. There is minimal impact on guests during this work.

I very much hope I can welcome you back for another stay and you will experience the hotel standards to be as you originally expected.

With my best wishes

Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We booked Woolley Grange last minute and had to have 2 rooms to accommodate our family of five, as this was all that was available. The staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly Jane and Helen at reception. We had a fantastic meal that evening and were pleased with the children's selection. The waiting staff were pleasant and attentive. The meal was a little pricey, but worth it. There is a good selection at breakfast and after this we went to play football, as there are goal posts in the grounds. There is also a trampoline and tennis net with rackets and balls provided. We decided to stay another night as we were having such a lovely time and it was no problem for the staff to move us from the two rooms, to a two bedroom suite. We took the children swimming and they played in the pretty wendy houses that are in the gardens by the chickens. There is also a games room for older children and a small play area with swings and a slide. We went to investigate the creche, run by Joan, and could not get the children to leave, so ended up leaving them there and found ourselves reading the newspapers uninterrupted for the first time in years! Bradford-On-Avon is a pretty town to visit and have some lunch alongside the canal. Woolley Grange is a charming hotel with lots of character, we have recommended it to friends and will definitely be going there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2 bedroom 'Balcony' room, which has recently been refurbished, it is in an...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear MillsFamily5

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay at Woolley over the Easter break. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and experienced all aspects of the hotel.

You were one of the first families to stay in one of our newly refurbished rooms which were completed in time for Easter. We we have a further set being finished in time for the Jubilee weekend in the main house.

Thank you also for your very kind words about the team; they get such a buzz from looking after guests, they are thrilled to be mentioned.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Woolley very soon.

Clare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
Widbrook Grange
#1 of 3 in Warminster
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hinton Charterhouse

Been to Woolley Grange? Share your experiences!