“lovely place for a break with small children”
Review of Woolley Grange

Woolley Grange
Reviewed 8 May 2014

As part of the Luxury Family Hotels chain you get the usual services for children that make it so good for those with little ones (ours are 3 and 1): in particular the creche (Bears' Den) and a baby listening service so you can leave the kids in bed while you have dinner in the restaurant.

It's a lovely house and our older son loved the kitchen garden where there is a real (non-functioning) tractor you can climb on, wooden huts that are kitted out as play shops, an old tractor tyre converted into a sandpit, and a brood of chickens whose eggs you can buy.

The swimming pool, housed in a separate building (with the spa) adjacent to the kitchen garden, is good for kids with lots of water toys. There's a swimsuit centrifuge dryer which is quite handy for when you take your wet costumes back to your room.

Kids' teatime in the early the evening was very stress-free and you are never made to feel in any way embarrassed when your little ones spread a carpet of half-eaten food across the table and floor.

Food in the restaurant is good (although the chill-out background muzak became a little grating after a while).

There is free Wi-Fi in the hotel. However mobile reception (on both O2 and Vodafone) was very weak. A real fire was lit in a fireplace in the lounge from time to time (it was still a little chilly in late March when we stayed) which was lovely.

It's worth walking down the steep hill to Bradford-on-Avon which is a pretty little town with places to stop for lunch/afternoon tea.

Room Tip: We stayed in Balcony which is a few steps across a small courtyard from the main house. It's ac...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Clare-Hammond, General Manager at Woolley Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear d0gwalker

Thank you for your detailed feedback and it sounds like you experienced quite a range of facilities we offer. We are continually looking for more and different things to offer families to encourage hem to return, whilst retaining the core aspects of the experience which work.

Hope to see you soon!

Warm wishes

Reviewed 2 May 2014

....courtesy of the Luxury Family Hotels group. I had a slight issue with our original room and was promptly allowed to look at another room, bigger and more suitable for my family. We decided to go with the upgrade and from then on the holiday couldn't have been better. Great first night meal, awesome crèche, handy monitoring system and of course grounds, facilities and service all at a level you would hope for. Breakfasts always well cooked and great service regarding my little ones food requirements. Its an awesome area with so many great things to do such as Longleat, Bradford on Avon is beautiful and we hired bikes to cycle along the canals. A great big resounding thank you and well done. There are many special deals to look out for, without them we might have struggled to afford the three nights but I really will find it hard to find another 'perfect' holiday whatever the cost. Be great if they could add a fitness suite.

Room Tip: The rooms at the top of the hotel are incredibly low, i.e 5ft ish in places, I whacked my head twice...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Michael3140

Thank you for taking your time to provide some feedback and I am delighted you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back many times of the next few years as your children grow up.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Upon arriving excellent staff showing us rooms and the surroundings.

Room was just what we needed and everything was in it that I had asked for (prior to emailing monika at front desk she was a legend!)

Restaurant and booking was excellent and the staff morning noon and night were absolutely fantastic! I wish I knew the names as they were amazing with our 10 month old boy and us. Nothing was trouble for them.

The creche was great Alex seemed to really enjoy himself there and the staff are commendable.

Overall the stay was very good and we were happy although there were a few things that made it a bit uncomfortable.

Firstly the radiator did not work in our room but it was fixed as quickly as possible the following morning although I was very cold through out the night

It says ask for fresh milk etc in the morning but when your baby wakes at 6 am and you get the night porter who does not have reception and I felt hung up on me etc it does not bode well although someone explained to me that he would not have hung up it was simply no reception. I rang a few times after and got no answer. (Reception is open at 730am)

Lastly this was what made me really upset. This is meant to be a baby friendly hotel and we were in a family suite with one below us. Our baby wakes at 6 am we had cartons of milk which we didn't warm and we give bread etc in the morning
It's not as if we are running around and laughing etc. I went to hand in our key as we were going out for the day and was asked by the receptionist if we were up early. I said well yes baby wakes at 6 am etc. She said ppl below complained and said we were too loud and she asked me if I could tiptoe in the morning with the baby!
I was so shocked that I said ok but my husband said that was wrong for a baby friendly hotel wasn't very baby friendly was it? When I went to get the key back I asked had she moved the ppl that complained she replied with yes you can stomp around all u like now...I said I think that was quite rude to say etc she said yes well they were American so you know what they're like???!!
Absolutely appalling.

I stayed at the ickworth hotel Last month part of the same group in suffolk would go back in an instant. I don't think I will be coming back to woolley grange.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank MissOptom1981

Dear Miss Optom1981

Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed many aspects of your stay.
Your feedback about the couple of issues you experienced are very useful for me to raise with the team directly and resolve. It is reassuring that the majority of staff who looked after you helped make a very enjoyable stay.

I do hope those two instances do not deter you from staying with us again and I would be delighted to talk to you about those if you could telephone me at the hotel.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

My partner arranged a surprise few days away at Woolley Grange ( his review is under James Beccano) for my birthday around a month after our daughter was born. I was a little nervous but my partner assured me everything would be fine. He has never been so right. From the moment we walked in we were welcomed like family. Clare and her team took care of everything. My partner had arranged a babysitting service so I wandered off to find out more...I was treated to a tour of the creche and met our babysitter for the evening, Becky, who I can't thank enough for the care and attention she lavished on our little girl. Everything we could have needed for our new baby was on hand which allowed us all to relax. The spa was a treat and the food was incredibly special. The main building is a lovely space to spend time as a family with sumptuous sofas and roaring fires. I can not recommended Woolley Grange enough....so much so I'll be booking our second visit in the next few weeks.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear partner of James Beccano

Thank you for your glowing feedback and I am so pleased we offered everything you were looking for in your first break with your new baby.

Look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I open with a warning that you would not want to go to this hotel without children under any circumstances.

The hotel is a charming, rambling, non-sensical period building that your kids will adore and get lost in. There's a great cinema room, a sort of adult library with a fireplace, and a few sitting areas scattered throughout.

The service is great. Enthusiastic, attentive waiters. We had a couple of mishaps like toast arriving after breakfast was over but they're so charming you can't fault them.

They have an adorable dog who is unfortunately incredibly skittish and it was a great source of frustration to my older, dog-savvy kids that they could not persuade her to play with them.

The beds were incredibly cozy, but small.

The grounds are pretty large and great for kids to roam about, but they won't be lost for hours - it's definitely geared towards younger children. Mine are 8 and 11 and they were possibly too old to appreciate what it offers for younger families.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MSMLondon

Dear MSM London

Thank you very much for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are currently developing more for children 8 years plus. It would be great if you would come back to stay and review our progress. We are just introducing children's feedback questionnaires so we can hear from children what they liked about their stay and what they would like us to offer in the future.

I hope to see you soon.
Clare and the team

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We have just returned from a fabulous couple of days at Woolley Grange. Overall our trip was first class, but we have dropped a star due to one disappointment and a few (admittedly pedantic) niggles.

We were given a very warm welcome to the hotel. Our room was perfect for our needs. We are a family of four with a three year old and three month old. We stayed in Magnolia which had a sitting room-cum-bedroom, bathroom and main bedroom. When we arrived the room was prepared with two cots; however, we needed a sofa bed and had bought a Moses basket with us for the baby and this was rectified immediately. The room was spotlessly clean and well equipped, with extras such as a changing mat and naps bin.

Both children spent time in the crèche. The staff were wonderful, particularly Karen who looked after our baby and babysat for us one evening. The Den itself had so much for the children to do our three year old couldn't wait to get back there on day two! The rabbit was also a big hit.

The spa was a real treat. The pool is a good size and the spa treatment fantastic. The changing area is a little small and must get quite tricky at very busy times, but this was not problematic for us.

We all loved the walled garden and seeing what was being grown, as well as meeting the chickens and ducks! The play area and houses were really sweet and had the weather been a little warmer we could have been out there all day.

Meals in the orangery were very good, particularly the children's menu. Children's meals could either be preordered, or if ordering on being seated children were brought a small starter so rumbling tummies were kept at bay. Lunch was good but slightly overpriced. Breakfast fabulous! The staff were great - particular mention to Richard for entertaining us with his encyclopaedic knowledge of Disney and Louise for providing the 'magic pillow' for our daughter's sore tummy,

Our evening meal in the candlelight restaurant was truly superb. The coffee parfait one of the best desserts we have ever tried. Unfortunately this was where the disappointment did arise though. We had understood on booking that the restaurant was adult only in the evening, and this fact was reiterated on check in when we were shown round Woolley Grange. However, on the evening which we ate in the restaurant one family had for some reason been allowed to have their children dine with them. Two of the children were of primary school age and kept getting up from the table and at one point even started singing. (At which the couple on a neighbouring table asked to complete their meal in the adjoining lounge). This is not meant as a criticism of the family involved as the kids were just being kids and certainly not badly behaved, but of the hotel for bending the rules in this way. This meal was meant to be our opportunity for some kid free time and we had been looking forward to it for some time. Such a shame that the atmosphere in the dining room was spoilt in this way as it would have been perfect otherwise. Particularly irritating given the cost of the meal. The food is worth every penny and ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem but the atmosphere being disturbed meant the value was undermined. Unfortunately the manager was not available for us to discuss this before we left the hotel due to working patterns.

Otherwise a couple of minor pieces of feedback:
- on checking in to our room every light was left on, they were also all left in by housekeeping the next day. Despite bright days lights were also on all over communal areas. This just seemed really at odds with the sustainability message of the work being done elsewhere at Woolley Grange.
- we had to hunt down staff on a couple of occasions, once to order lunch and once to order evening drinks. Not hugely problematic and the staff were super on the whole, but may be an issue for some.
- a step for small children to use to the very high sink in the bathroom (as provided in the communal loos) would have been useful.

But overall what a fantastic stay - THANK YOU!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Ormeley
Clare-Hammond, General Manager at Woolley Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Ormeley

Thank you very much for your feedback and I am delighted you had a enjoyable time.

We differentiate the two restaurants by atmosphere in that we aim to create a grown up atmosphere in the main dining room and more relaxed family atmosphere in the Orangery.
I am sorry this balance was not struck correctly when you dined and as with your feedback about staff availability to place orders, your feedback is very useful to help improve our service.

I have also passed on your feedback about lights in rooms to the housekeeping team as it sounds as though more were left on than should have been.

I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 nights / 4 days at Woolley Grange with our 5 year old twins and could not recommend it highly enough. The service, friendliness, accommodation, facilities and cuisine were all outstanding. The pool and walled garden are particularly delightful and the twins had so much to do at the hotel that it proved a real mission to drag them off to Bath for the day. Thanks in particular to the staff in the Restaurant and Den who looked after the twins especially well. We even managed to take advantage of having two tired twins and snuck in a candlelight dinner! We couldn't have asked for a more relaxing and enjoyable holiday and will definitely be returning. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay so memorable.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Stephen H

Than you very much for taking the time to write a review.
It sounds as though you tried most of the things we have on offer; great that it worked for all ages in the family!

Clare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
Widbrook Grange
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Swan Hotel
Swan Hotel
#5 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon

Been to Woolley Grange? Share your experiences!