“Mostly excellent!! Let down by service and food options.”
Review of Woolley Grange

Woolley Grange
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Nice setting and lovely room. Really comfortable bed. Good attention to detail throughout and very clean. Our little boy loved playing in the gardens and all of the staff bar one were very friendly. Nice little touches throughout and the spa is terrific. WiFi was poor throughout but this didn't affect our stay.
The only negatives are the food and the waiting staff. The menus are confusing and a bit weird. Why are there two children's menus with very little difference between them? Main menu is seriously lacking in choice and the a la carte menu is disappointing. And what exactly is available to order from room service? I challenge you to find out definitively!
While the waiting staff were very friendly - the service was bad; we saw staff bickering with each other, tutting, huffing and stomping around. They frequently got orders wrong. They would benefit from some training and coaching and perhaps a manager presence.
The place was so nice that we'd probably go back - but I doubt we'd eat there again, even going as far as to head out elsewhere for breakfast.
A note in the information booklet advises you to tell a manager before you leave if there were any issues - if I had found a manager, I would have!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank brainz85
Clare-Hammond, General Manager at Woolley Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear 177Kooky

Thank you very much for your review and taking your time to give your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that the service you experience was not smooth. I would really welcome the opportunity to talk with you about this element of your stay as we are really keen to review our performance and make changes to ensure improvement. I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay this year with extended family and took five rooms between us.

We stayed 3 nights.

It's striking distance from Longleat which the adults and kids both love.

The crèche, particularly the staff are excellent.

The food is good but I agree with the previous reviewer that the service can be a little hit and miss from a timing and accuracy perspective. Albeit very friendly. Wine list good and fairly priced, by London standards.

The decor is very shabby chic which is entertaining in the whole, but not in the restaurant when you can't put your legs under the table comfortably or some of the seats in the main lounge. I am tall though.

Overall it's a lovely and relaxing place to stay which feels more like you are staying with a wealthy friend in the country rather than a hotel (must get one of those!)

Stayed: May 2014

Dear James D

Thank you very much for your review and I am so pleased all generations of your family enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope you be able to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Lovely area, gorgeous hotel and more than happy with the room. However, we arrived for lunch with a very hungry 5 year old and placed our order, 35 minutes later I went to find out how long it would be and was told he had forgotten to put our order through, so all in all our lunch took an hour and a half to reach us. Same happened to us at dinner time and then when the baked Camembert arrived it wasn't baked! Shame really as everything else was fantastic and I would have given five stars if the service hadn't been so poor. The best thing is the resident springer spaniel who I would have taken home with me in a flash. We will return and hopefully won't be forgotten again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Clare-Hammond, General Manager at Woolley Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Millie14Mille

Thank you for your review and I am so sorry to hear your first dining experience did not go well. We do review all feedback as a team and they will be really disappointed to hear of what happened. It sounds as though everything else went well during your stay and I hope you are reassured we can look after you the way you expect.

I hope we can encourage you tot return for another stay.

Warm wishes

Reviewed 8 May 2014

As part of the Luxury Family Hotels chain you get the usual services for children that make it so good for those with little ones (ours are 3 and 1): in particular the creche (Bears' Den) and a baby listening service so you can leave the kids in bed while you have dinner in the restaurant.

It's a lovely house and our older son loved the kitchen garden where there is a real (non-functioning) tractor you can climb on, wooden huts that are kitted out as play shops, an old tractor tyre converted into a sandpit, and a brood of chickens whose eggs you can buy.

The swimming pool, housed in a separate building (with the spa) adjacent to the kitchen garden, is good for kids with lots of water toys. There's a swimsuit centrifuge dryer which is quite handy for when you take your wet costumes back to your room.

Kids' teatime in the early the evening was very stress-free and you are never made to feel in any way embarrassed when your little ones spread a carpet of half-eaten food across the table and floor.

Food in the restaurant is good (although the chill-out background muzak became a little grating after a while).

There is free Wi-Fi in the hotel. However mobile reception (on both O2 and Vodafone) was very weak. A real fire was lit in a fireplace in the lounge from time to time (it was still a little chilly in late March when we stayed) which was lovely.

It's worth walking down the steep hill to Bradford-on-Avon which is a pretty little town with places to stop for lunch/afternoon tea.

Room Tip: We stayed in Balcony which is a few steps across a small courtyard from the main house. It's ac...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear d0gwalker

Thank you for your detailed feedback and it sounds like you experienced quite a range of facilities we offer. We are continually looking for more and different things to offer families to encourage hem to return, whilst retaining the core aspects of the experience which work.

Hope to see you soon!

Warm wishes

Reviewed 2 May 2014

....courtesy of the Luxury Family Hotels group. I had a slight issue with our original room and was promptly allowed to look at another room, bigger and more suitable for my family. We decided to go with the upgrade and from then on the holiday couldn't have been better. Great first night meal, awesome crèche, handy monitoring system and of course grounds, facilities and service all at a level you would hope for. Breakfasts always well cooked and great service regarding my little ones food requirements. Its an awesome area with so many great things to do such as Longleat, Bradford on Avon is beautiful and we hired bikes to cycle along the canals. A great big resounding thank you and well done. There are many special deals to look out for, without them we might have struggled to afford the three nights but I really will find it hard to find another 'perfect' holiday whatever the cost. Be great if they could add a fitness suite.

Room Tip: The rooms at the top of the hotel are incredibly low, i.e 5ft ish in places, I whacked my head twice...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Michael3140

Thank you for taking your time to provide some feedback and I am delighted you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back many times of the next few years as your children grow up.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Upon arriving excellent staff showing us rooms and the surroundings.

Room was just what we needed and everything was in it that I had asked for (prior to emailing monika at front desk she was a legend!)

Restaurant and booking was excellent and the staff morning noon and night were absolutely fantastic! I wish I knew the names as they were amazing with our 10 month old boy and us. Nothing was trouble for them.

The creche was great Alex seemed to really enjoy himself there and the staff are commendable.

Overall the stay was very good and we were happy although there were a few things that made it a bit uncomfortable.

Firstly the radiator did not work in our room but it was fixed as quickly as possible the following morning although I was very cold through out the night

It says ask for fresh milk etc in the morning but when your baby wakes at 6 am and you get the night porter who does not have reception and I felt hung up on me etc it does not bode well although someone explained to me that he would not have hung up it was simply no reception. I rang a few times after and got no answer. (Reception is open at 730am)

Lastly this was what made me really upset. This is meant to be a baby friendly hotel and we were in a family suite with one below us. Our baby wakes at 6 am we had cartons of milk which we didn't warm and we give bread etc in the morning
It's not as if we are running around and laughing etc. I went to hand in our key as we were going out for the day and was asked by the receptionist if we were up early. I said well yes baby wakes at 6 am etc. She said ppl below complained and said we were too loud and she asked me if I could tiptoe in the morning with the baby!
I was so shocked that I said ok but my husband said that was wrong for a baby friendly hotel wasn't very baby friendly was it? When I went to get the key back I asked had she moved the ppl that complained she replied with yes you can stomp around all u like now...I said I think that was quite rude to say etc she said yes well they were American so you know what they're like???!!
Absolutely appalling.

I stayed at the ickworth hotel Last month part of the same group in suffolk would go back in an instant. I don't think I will be coming back to woolley grange.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank MissOptom1981

Dear Miss Optom1981

Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed many aspects of your stay.
Your feedback about the couple of issues you experienced are very useful for me to raise with the team directly and resolve. It is reassuring that the majority of staff who looked after you helped make a very enjoyable stay.

I do hope those two instances do not deter you from staying with us again and I would be delighted to talk to you about those if you could telephone me at the hotel.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

My partner arranged a surprise few days away at Woolley Grange ( his review is under James Beccano) for my birthday around a month after our daughter was born. I was a little nervous but my partner assured me everything would be fine. He has never been so right. From the moment we walked in we were welcomed like family. Clare and her team took care of everything. My partner had arranged a babysitting service so I wandered off to find out more...I was treated to a tour of the creche and met our babysitter for the evening, Becky, who I can't thank enough for the care and attention she lavished on our little girl. Everything we could have needed for our new baby was on hand which allowed us all to relax. The spa was a treat and the food was incredibly special. The main building is a lovely space to spend time as a family with sumptuous sofas and roaring fires. I can not recommended Woolley Grange enough....so much so I'll be booking our second visit in the next few weeks.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear partner of James Beccano

Thank you for your glowing feedback and I am so pleased we offered everything you were looking for in your first break with your new baby.

Look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Clare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
Widbrook Grange
#1 of 1 in Hinton Charterhouse
Lucknam Park
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne

Been to Woolley Grange? Share your experiences!