All reviews walled garden outdoor pool the baby listening service family hotel kids club changing mat high tea sauna and steam room spa treatments nappy bin child friendly hotel young families afternoon tea cinema room kids tea kids meals mum and dad
Reviewed 7 January 2019

Many hotels and restaurants use discount vouchers to attract customers in quieter times and also to develop customer loyalty. My wife read the reviews for Woolley Grange and purchased a voucher for my birthday for a one night stay at this hotel after reading the terms and conditions on the Buyagift site, which say:

Your voucher is valid for 10 months for two people
- This experiences is available week-round, subject to availability
- A two night minimum stay may be required on certain weekends
- This experiences is not available during July and August
All dates are subject to availability

My wife is a head teacher and during term time we can only go away at weekends. We rang the hotel to make a booking and gave them a Saturday in May. I was told by the woman who answered the phone that it was company policy not to allow a single night booking at weekends - not 'certain weekends' or that this weekend was unavailable. In other words, we would never be able to redeem the voucher at any weekend, unless we paid the hotel more for an additional night. It would be interesting to check to see if this is a breach of contract. Clearly, I would not pursue this, but at best, I think this is unethical. The information on the Buyagift site clearly did not state this, and they said that this was information sent by the hotel. In my mind, we purchased a voucher on the basis of terms and conditions that were a misrepresentation. Buyagift are acting as agents of the hotel and the hotel should honour the terms after we paid for the voucher, even if it does not represent their policy. It is rather like a Groupon voucher for a meal, available 'all evenings', where the restaurant says when you ring to book at a weekend that they will only take your booking if you have to come back and buy a second meal the following night. While I understand the commercial realities of taking bookings at the most popular times, I do not believe that a weekend in early May is exactly peak time - it is not even a school holiday. No one forced the hotel to advertise a 'one night stay' on Buyagift or any other voucher site - they could have sold a two night voucher. If it is company policy never to take one night bookings at weekends, then it makes the voucher we purchased pretty worthless as customers cannot book during July and August either, especially for teachers, as we are. I have little doubt, if we had tried to book for a half term, or Easter, we would have been told it was not possible either.The terms on the website should change at a minimum and also the hotel should consider how it deals with situation like ours, which I believe was foreseeable.

The lady on reception - I do not know her status - also said she would phone me back to see if the date I wanted was indeed possible after further discussions. She did not do this. We shall never know if the hotel lives up to the better reviews it receives, but I feel we were treated very poorly.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Clare-Hammond, General Manager at Woolley Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2019

Dear tripleaUK

Thank you for getting in touch and letting me know about the problem you have encountered making a reservation. We are looking into the terms and conditions with Buyagift.

In the meantime, please do contact me so I can assist you in making a reservation. clare.hammond@woolleygrangehotel.co.uk or by phone on 01225 864 705.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 20 December 2018

I last wrote a review about this hotel and my experience of 'Afternoon Tea' back in July 2018. At that time, my review wasn't very positive as there were a number of issues which had cropped up. Following this, the hotel manager got in touch with me and apologised for the disappointment. She very kindly invited my mum and I back again, this time for a complimentary visit, and we went yesterday afternoon (19/12/18).

As Christmas is almost upon us, the full afternoon tea on offer was 'festive' and it was delicious! Sandwiches, scones and a lovely selection of cakes. The bread was fresh, the scones weren't burnt, we had plenty of clotted cream and jam and even spoons to eat our sherry trifles with! We were also offered additional pots of tea, which didn't happen on our first visit when we'd been limited to one pot between us! All in all, it was very good and a vast improvement from when we went previously.

Each member of staff we encountered was welcoming, friendly and polite, taking our coats and bringing them back when we wanted to leave. The service was attentive, but not intrusive, and we left 'Wooley Grange' feeling full up and happy that our visit was most enjoyable.

Thank you very much for welcoming us back and showing us that you can put things right that went wrong initially.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear lucyrocket2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit for afternoon tea. I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your afternoon tea experience, a lovely treat just before Christmas.

I hope this has restored your faith and that we can welcome you back to Woolley again on another occasion.

Warm wishes

Reviewed 20 December 2018

This hotel has a relaxed atmosphere and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The log fires are great to sit beside and read the free newspapers while drinking a coffee or other beverage. A delight for families with small children but also good for couples or older children. A great place to unwind.

1  Thank donteatout

Dear donteatout

Thank you for your 5 star review. You are tight, it is sometimes the simple pleasures which feel like such a treat and just the thing to help escape our busy lives for a while. Woolley is just that escape.

Reviewed 13 December 2018

Child friendly. This was 26 years ago - our last visit...
Dog friendly too (our recent visit)
Spa, Outside heated pool, lovely staff.
Amazing idyllic location. Food ok. Good breakfasts
Upgraded us to a suite too!

room upgrade - to a very comfortable suite...

Room tip: ask for an upgrade. Take your swimmers for the outdoor pool
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear TravellingEast Marlow

We are celebrating our 30th birthday this year; how wonderful you are visiting us again after your first visit 26 years ago. I hope we lived up to the memories you have of your last stay.

Please don't leave it 26 years until you come back.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 8 December 2018 via mobile

Great place for families with energetic children. Staff absolutely bomb proof, well trained and able to handle merry grandpa's!!!! Special mention Lorraine on reception you have the patience of a saint
The food and setting are superb, beats the run of the mill chain hotels. Highly recommended. Thanks to everyone for making this such special day.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear darlowportfolios

We really enjoy looking after family celebrations; we will ensure everything goes seamlessly so you can all relax and enjoy yourselves! It is wonderful for the team to hear how much their efforts are appreciated.

Delighted you had a great time and thank you very much for the 5 star review.