All reviews walled garden outdoor pool the baby listening service family hotel kids club changing mat high tea sauna and steam room spa treatments nappy bin young families child friendly hotel afternoon tea cinema room kids tea kids meals mum and dad
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The spa is poorly equipped, with no seating to relax and soak up spa atmosphere. The pool was cold and full of screaming children. The showers were out of action most of the morning, which meant we couldn't then go back into the pool after massage, which was the only positive all day! The meal as part of the expensive package was inedible and when we complained we were offered equally poor cream tea instead. Utter waste of money and a day off!

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here on a two night midweek break, bed, breakfast and dinner package with our two year old.

Positives:
Definitely family friendly, the high tea meal time for children was ideal and we got two hours of free childcare on the one full day we were there for which our son really enjoyed.

The staff were friendly and welcoming, we never felt as though having a toddler there was an inconvenience.

We had an issue with the first meal our toddler had and this was dealt with with no issues by the reception team and taken off the bill.

Negatives:

The massive negative is the cost. We spent over £600 for a two night stay and, this is the bit that gets me, neither of us drank any alcohol! The dinner package included £35 per person per night for dinner. The way that this works is that there is a set dinner menu for this price which you can order for dinner which would obviously keep the price down but then you can also order a la carte which we did for several dishes. However the prices of these are really high - £20-£30 for a main course.

That being said the quality of the food in the evenings was really good, sadly not matched by the cooked breakfast offerings or the children's high tea - maybe two different chefs? Breakfast for children over the age of two is extra as are the rest of their meals.

We stayed in one of the pavilion rooms which is separate from the main house. This did not feel a particularly safe place to leave our toddler while we went for dinner and is partly my fault for not requesting a room in the house, so I recommend doing this if you have young kids.

If you are going to market a hotel as 'luxury' and price accordingly, it really needs to be luxury. The carpets in our room were frayed with stains on the sofa and an odd musty smell in the bedroom.

I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend this particular hotel and won't be returning due to the cost. We had a nice time as a family of three just before we become a family of four but we just could not afford it again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed at Woolley Grange on a midweek seasonal two night stay and had a lovely time. The customer service was excellent. The staff couldn’t have been more helpful - they bent over backwards to be as accommodating as possible, and really made us feel welcome, even when our 15-month old was tearing around and being noisy at mealtimes.

I would go further than describing this hotel as family-friendly - I would say it’s family-centred. There are so many elements that have been designed specifically with younger guests in mind (the early high tea, toys you can borrow, bibs and highchairs etc), and yet I didn’t feel like we were compromising on having a nice stay in a grown-up hotel, so everyone was happy.

We particularly loved the Den, which is an amazing facility to have on site. The grounds are very pretty and make a nice mini excursion. There were lots of little surprises in the gardens, which was delightful. The pool, too, is really nice and if we ever manage to come back I’d love to have a treatment as the spa looked lovely.

The hotel itself wasn’t quite what I’d expected - it feels like a family-run B&B rather than a luxury hotel, which is fine, but like others have said I think the rooms could do with some updating, and then the hotel would be the 4 stars I think it deserves. The accommodation was perfectly comfortable and clean etc, but there was no overhead lighting in our room (William Bonaparte), so even with all the lamps on (and reception kindly provided one more after we asked), it felt quite dingy at times. This did take away from the fun of relaxing in our room as it felt quite gloomy as an environment for our baby to play in. This was also true of the lighting in the orangery, although some tables were better lit than others. I was surprised, too, that there were so many sharp edges on furniture at head height in the rooms, but I appreciate that the hotel does not only cater for small children.

We really enjoyed our stay. It’s hard to ever truly relax with a lively toddler around, but it was wonderful being taken care of a bit and getting to enjoy some family time together. I was impressed at how peaceful the atmosphere was, and the hotel was far from empty. We used the baby listening service and had dinner on one of the nights, and it did feel like a special treat.

Woolley Grange has definitely found the balance of comfort and fun, and we’re thankful for a lovely stay.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Nomad310700
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel is part of the same chain as Moonfleet Manor near Weymouth where we stayed last year.Once again a beautiful old building with lovely nicely furnished individually styled rooms,superb food and pleasant friendly staff. My wife and I (and of course Tuco the Chihuahua)stayed here for 4 nights(midweek) on a room,breakfast and evening meal deal which we thought was very reasonable considering the quality of both accommodation and meals.Plenty of spaces to walk the little chap and the charming town of Bradford on Avon only a very short distance away.
Comfy lounge with open fire - didn't get a chance to try the indoor pool and sauna,but obviously very popular, and a most pleasant candlelit dining room.
This hotel is very family with babies and toddlers orientated,so if your going for a peaceful stay for maybe just the two of you and your pet,I would advise choosing your dates carefully.We chose the second week in January,thinking it would be quieter as during term time,but there were plenty of young families there and the staff did cope excellently considering how busy they were.I should imagine it's quite hectic during the school holidays.
Overall an enjoyable stay with Tuco made to feel most welcome.I can thoroughly recommend the duck on the menu - first class.l

1  Thank blueday2000
Reviewed 10 January 2019 via mobile

What an absolute treat to go away and not have to pack travel cots, high chairs, baby food, milk, cutlery etc etc. Everything about this hotel and experience is 100% baby friendly but somehow manages to feel luxurious and adult. The Hayloft was a beautiful suite with plenty of space for our two little ones to safely crawl and tumble about it. The 5 o’clock high tea was adorable with place names for the babies and a stroke of genius serving wine to the parents! (The staff are just brilliant btw!) The listening service was perfect to enjoy incredible food safe in the knowledge that the babies were fine. We made full use of the two hours crèche in the Den by booking in for a massage. We honestly couldn’t fault it and have been raving about it to anyone who’ll listen since!

Trip type: Travelled with friends