“DIRTY, DIRTY, DIRTY AND OVERPRICED”
Review of Widbrook Grange

Widbrook Grange
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Me and my family stayed in Widbrook Grange during the Easter period. We also celebrated my parents 40th wedding anniversary.
My choice of this hotel was based purely on the location and web site. It was also nice to deal with the staff over the phone so I assumed everything will be perfect.
WHat a big mistake!
Honestly, I'm not used to stay at B&B or country side hotels, but I centennially wasn't expect that...
The biggest problem we have was DIRT.
I stayed in the biggest family room, which also costs loads of money. Yes, it was spacious, but as soon as we opened the doors, there was this overwhelming smell of dump... We even asked for the air fresheners as there was no other suitable room left to accommodate 4 of us.
Than we decided to rearrange beds as we have small children. ANother big mistake.... Under the beds, behind other furniture and in the carpet we found dozens of dead mosquitos, flies, spiders and loads of never cleaned dust!!!
Honestly, I don't know how it is even possible! Absolutely disgusting!We had to call the manager who came with hoover and cleaned all... I don't have to mention that it is not acceptable in any hotel, but when you also pay hundreds of pounds you feel cheated and extremely nervous!
If not that the fact that it was my parents celebration and that we were 14 people in total, I would pack my bags in a second!
I just have to mention that the same impression had all 14 of us....
The only ok thing was the food, which was quiet tasty but because served by terribly slowly stuff, it also left a bitter taste in out mouths.
Overall, I would definitely NOT advise to stay there!
Waist of money and time!
Simply horrible, dirty hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank bellagio31061
WidbrookGrange, Owner at Widbrook Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2011

As readers of Trip Advisor reviews will know we very rarely get a crital review and the extreemly high ratings that we normally enjoy from guests has placed us consistantly as number one hotel on TripAdvisor in the area.

On the rare occasions that we have had complaints we treat them very seriously, they are investigated in detail and if we are at fault we try to learn from our mistakes. On this occasion the claims being made by the customer are simply not true, are malitious and an insult to our hard working staff. Please compare this review to those we have enjoyed over the last year and I hope that you will agree there is no comparison.

The guests who wrote this review stayed at the hotel over the Easter weekend, since their stay there have been 20 excellent reviews posted on Tirip Advisor about our hotel, four of which are from families who stayed in the room that is being criticised above.

This family booked a room on our "Summer Break" discounted package and were aware of the bed layout in the room when booking.Why they decided to move the heavy beds around the room we do not know and they also moved and damaged a heavy wardrobe which takes at least two people to lift.

It is true to say that there was two or three dead flies and a little dust behind the wardbobe and under the bed. As it takes two to three people to move this furniture they are not moved every day but are moved for full cleaning once a month.

The customers claim about the level of dust etc is a complete exageration and our Manager dusted the back of the waredobe and brushed up the flies in a matter of seconds. The room in all other respects was like all our rooms, "spotless"

I don't know what they mean by saying the room smelled of "dump" the only smell we could detect when checking the room was the smell of the airfreshener that we always spray the room with at the end of each thorough daily room service. We have not had any complaints from any other customers about the smell of this room or indeed any other room.All our rooms are serviced in the same way, and to the high AA 77% three star standard rating that the AA, after an overnight inspection, have recently confirmed.

Perhaps their suggestion that we further discount the room is related to the exagerated level of the complaint.

The writer of the review statas that all 14 of their party "had the same impression" but we have recieved no comments or complaints for any of the other guests in the party and have not been given any evidence to support this stated impression.

This guest states that our food was served by terribly slowly stuff ( I asume they mean "slow staff") Once again this statement is untrue. The food is served within a matter of seconds of it being plated as the distance from the kitchen to the tables in the restauarnt is only a matter of feet.

The guest could be refering to the time from when they ordered the food to it arriving on the table. These guests were part of a party of 14 and several of the party did not want the dishes on our comprehensive menu but wanted variations of those dishes, some with different sauces altogether. This we said we were happy to do, but as all our food is cooked fresh including our sauces we said that to make up special dishes just for them would take longer than normal, this they accepted.

Only 11 out of the 14 originally ordered mains dishes but about five minutes before their food was to be served the three who had not ordered told us that they had changed their mind and
now wanted a mains course and that they wanted it served with all the other main courses. All the mains courses had therefore to be delayed whilst we prepared the three ordered late.

The children from this party were allowed to run riot in the restaurant, annoying other guests to the extent that two couples walked out. We politely asked the family to control the children with little effect and when they left the restaurant there was food all over the floor around their table.

I find it very strange that this guest should wait eight weeks before writing a review and I would not normally comment about a guest, but when the high standards that we maintain in our hotel have been unfairly critized to the level in the above review and when there has been this level of disrespect for our property and our staff I feel that it is only fair that I am allowed write a robust response.

There are newer reviews for Widbrook Grange

Reviewed 19 June 2011

Recently stayed at this B&B after reviewing the excellent comments on this site. I agree the staff are excellent and were as friendly and helpful as one could hope. The room however (George Eliot room on the 1st floor in the main house.) was a little disappointing for the £135.00 fee we paid. The curtains (very thin) made a lay in almost impossible. The shower presurre was feeble and inconsistent, the windows were dirty and the skirting boards in need of a touch up. We ate in the restaurant the evening of our stay and on arrival advised we could be accommodated in the dining room earlier than the 8.20 time we had booked and rebooked for 7.00 due to some rearrangements, but expecting a bustling atmosphere arrived to a rather flat affair with only one other table occupied. We were then also advised that one of the two menu's listed had been amalgamated to one due to the large booking they had for the night which transpired to be a table of 8 which arrived at 8.30. We were therefore restricted to a menu without the items had looked at and were listed on the internet that afternoon. I am not sure if this was a genuine response or whether the usual chef was having a well earned night off, either way if notified we would probably have gone elsewhere. Showers in the morning were provided by an electric unit installed above the bath, which was not particularly powerful and varied in temperature as other users were obviously also using the facilities. The location is lovely and the gardens particularly well maintained. It would have been interesting to see what the other rooms were like and how much these differed from ours. The room felt over priced and given other experiences £70-80 would be more appropriate. That said the staff were incredibly helpful and polite at all times a real credit to the owners was the manager whose name escapes me.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2011

What can I say apart from a wonderful place that could easily get its 4th Star with apparently only a little work. This is not being negative, the hotel is lovely and the staff were all superb, the pool area was great and the food fantastic. Seems like I'm running out of superlatives.
Perhaps I'm writing this bit for the hotel rather than just a random guest but a redesign of the menu would probably go down well, not the food, but the bland descriptions coupled with a sterile printing on dark green paper do NOT impress. Once we got over that and the food arrived we soon forgot it, but first impressions count. Also whilst the rooms were lovely the 'standard' shower added above every bath was typically not great in ots operation and appeared an eyesore in a nice room. You get the feeling it was installed as a 'tick box' project to qualify for something rather than being carefully chosen and installed a a complimentary fitting.
I would seriously recommend a stay here to anyone, the local town was great and so was cycling on the canal, whilst for those wanting a lazy time the quiet seclusion is wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Had a wonderful time at this hotel. Stayed here with my parents and kids in May 2011. Had an adjoining room with 2 single beds and a rollaway bed. Found it a little difficult to get to the hotel but once we arrived I was pleasantly surprised! Room was very spacious, small bathroom but it was nicely decorated and felt very homely. Breakfast was lovely as were dinners on the evening. Would definitley recommend this hotel, especially for a romantic getaway. Bradford on Avon was very "hill-y" with lots of boutique type shops although they were expensive. Very close to bath for a day trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Room size good, Bed comfortable, Food Excellent, Staff very friendly and knowledgeable

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2011

This was a lovely little hotel located in the beautiful countryside of Bradford-on-Avon. The service was great - such friendly staff, who would tend to all your needs. My family and I travel around a lot staying in hotels across the country, but this hotel was different to all the others, it was peacefull and pretty. Most of the other hotels we stay at like the Hilton and Mariott's are inner city hotels and it's lovely to stay in a hotel that's so out into the country where it's so quiet.

Pros:
Friendly staff
Amazing cuisine
Beautifull surroundings
Cosy rooms
Stunning Georgian manor house

Cons:
Shower weak.
Gym equiptement could be more up to date.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2011

The grounds and pool are great, the children loved it! The accommodation is great, the room was clean and everything had that 'new' feeling. Breakfast was very good and the staff polite and helpful. Would recommend it to anyone!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
Woolley Grange
#5 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon
Lucknam Park
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne

Been to Widbrook Grange? Share your experiences!