“No hot water”

BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“No hot water”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Girlfriend and I stayed here on the 15th and 16th June 2012 for a family wedding. Firstly I must say the hotel is actually very nice and the staff made us feel very welcome upon arriving. We were allocated a room that we were not very happy with so we asked for a change and the hotel obliged with a room in one of the annex buildings. This room was perfect for our needs. Unfortunately this was where the adequate service from the hotel staff ceased. Reception was hardly manned, service at breakfast and the bar was poor and when their was no hot water at all on Sunday in our annex building, this topped off a poor impression of this hotel. The hotel staff did not offer any form of assistance with this problem and we had to suggest providing an alternative room, which they did a used room just vacated by other guests. Due to this we missed breakfast......0930 finish on a Sunday?! Father day lunches were looming so a quick turn around of the room was required.

Apology was offered by the girl at reception but felt inadequate for the price we paid for the room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Katie M
, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
I am delightred we were able to upgrade you to one of our new contemporary Coach House rooms,which you found to be perfect they are indeed delightful.I apologise for the problem you encountered with the hot water we unfortunately had a boiler problem which has since been resolved. Our reception is manned from 7.00am until 11pm and I can only assume our reception team were helping other guests.I apologise for the early breakfast time which you will be pleased to know has been changed until 10am on Sundays, however I understand we offered breakfast to yourselves.We would always offer our guests breakfast where possible and as we never actually provided Fathers Day lunch we were not looking for a quick turnaround. I very much hope you will return now the problem with the water is resolved

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My husband and I were visiting friends in the area and had booked for 2 nights at the end of April. We had asked for a quiet room, explaining that I had been ill, and needed to rest. We arrived to check in shortly after 3pm and were assured that the room we'd been allocated was a quiet room. We'd booked a twin room but were given a double - however we didn't query this as the bed was of a good size. We did, however return to reception and query the fact that our room was unheated. The weather was bitterly cold, wet and windy and the room was freezing. Windows were only single glazed and very draughty. We were told heating would not come on until 5pm. We were most unhappy about this as I had hoped for a rest before going out, but the room was far too cold for this to be possible. Surely the least a guest can expect is to be given a warm room on arrival? We returned from our friends at about 10pm but the room was still bitterly cold. it was clear that the heating had not been on at all. Reception was un-manned, but we managed to find a duty manager who promised he would get the heating put on for us. he rang our room 10 minutes later to say that he had done so, but nothing actually happened. The radiatiors finally began to heat up around 6.30 the following morning. And as for the 'quiet room'....! Between 1am and 2.45am we were disturbed by noisy wedding guests waiting for taxis directly below our window. Staff MUST have known this was likely to happen.
Added to this, the room's lighting was faulty; the hairdryer had no diffuser and the shower, although hot, had no power at all and was most inadequate. I spoke to reception about the hairdryer but they could not help. The lighting was checked for us by the duty manager who agreed there was a problem and apologised.
Given the fact that I had been ill, and was looking forward to having a relaxing break for a couple of days in comfortable surroundings, it is not surprising that we found the Leigh Park Experience somewhat traumatic. We decided that we could not spend another night under such circumstances and chose to go home a day early. The duty manager was understanding and offered us a small discount as well as agreeing that it was not reasonable to expect us to pay for the 2nd night. Staff were polite at all times, but were just unable to put things right for us. I found out the name of the manageress and wrote to her personally listing my concerns; this is why I have waited before writing a review for tripadvisor - to give her time to respond. However she has failed to even acknowledge my letter, which I think says it all! Would I recommend this hotel? Definitely NOT!

Room Tip: Room 31 is certainly one to be avoided - particularly in cold weather, or if you don't want to h...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EjayRock
, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
I apologise for your disappointing stay with us it does not reflect our normal level of service and hospitality. The heating is off at this time of year and many guests still find our rooms too hot.We have a number of individual supplementary heaters which should have been provided I can only apologise for our oversight. I have spoken to my manager who assures me she has received no communication from yourself and I can only assume this has gone astray, nevertheless she will be writing to offer her apologies and to welcome you back at a warmer and more peaceful time.

Travellers are raving about these Bradford-on-Avon hotels

Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

No one on reception several times during our stay, when needed. No porterage for my elderly Mother. Poor quality service for the Wedding Reception we were attending - very shabby collection and delivery of food/plates - due to lack of correct training? Had to help clear and lay a table for breakfast. All hot breakfast food empty for 20 minutes - nobody monitoring. Had to continually ask for all items - cups, butter, milk etc. Very disappointed compared to a previous stay in a different Best Western.

Room Tip: Go to a different Hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank TheBrownfamily_12
latonaleisure, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your stay at the Leigh Park Hotel, I apologise if we fell short of your expectations, our reception is manned 16 hours a day and I can only assume was momentarily vacant due to a comfort break or shift change. As one of the premier wedding venues in the area we receive many compliments for our service and attention to detail and I am therefore somewhat surprised at your comments relating to the wedding you attended. I apologise for breakfast it was somewhat manic that morning with all the guests arriving at once it did stretch our resources however many others spoke highly of the way the team managed the situation.
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Just returned from a wonderful weekend stay at the Leigh Park Hotel. We stayed in the Coach House a new addition to the main house, the rooms only a few years old were spacious very clean and comfortable, modern but still retaining the period features of the hotel. Our room had a lovely view of the gardens and vineyard. This was our 2nd visit in a few years and was very enjoyable. We stayed for our friends wedding, the food was excellent, reasonably priced, staff extremely helpful and friendly nothing was too much trouble. A great set up being able to accommodate my friend's wedding in a seperate area of the hotel so not affecting others staying at the hotel. One of the best hotels in the Best Western chain I have stayed in. Very much looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martinwatson69
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay it is reassuring to know that our efforts and investment are recognised by our guests. The coach house rooms are magnificent and very popular and following the recent refurbishment of reception and the creation of our secret garden we intend to continue to develop the hotel and the service we provide. Thank you,your comments are much appreciated and will be passed on to the team
Whalley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed overnight for a business trip. No atmosphere in the restaurant, The fire alarm was set off not once but twice around 5-5.30 am, no apologies or explanation given at check out!!! I left some clothing behind and telephoned the hotel to ask them to send on.......which they said was not a problem. Over a week later nothing has arrived so I have just telephoned them again & now they say they won't post until credit card details are given to cover their postage, something that wasn't requested on my first call. Hardly the best customer service given the circumstances during my stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank AngeLord
latonaleisure, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
I apologies for your disappointing restaurant experience we get many compliments for the warmth,comfort and friendliness of our restaurant and I can only assume it was a particularly quiet night. I also apologise for the confusion over your returned clothes and am pleased they arrived back
Oman
Reviewed 13 April 2012

When we first arrived, small things irked me. No warm welcome. No porterage, so drag in our own cases. Children running up and down a fire escape that was set in front of the room window. The room was a tight fit but was a special case. Whow, relax, unwind take it easy. We were here for a family wedding, special access requirements for my mother (wheelchair) had been attended to as best as could be done given the existing building, we were to stay in the next room. Apparently converted from an Aged Persons home after being a substantial family home for some landed gentry way back. The fabric of the building was tired and the conversion works probably not always the best solution today, but probably fit a budget then. Our room had no air con only extract in the toilet which we used to create some form of air circulation. Openable windows were limited due to fire escape being outside. When we found the staff (they seem to disappear in the afternoon and the hotel runs itself) I warmed to their generous and open nature. All irks were attended to without complaint or over reaction.
We we dined in the conservatory that evening, the atmosphere was friendly and genuine. The food was good quality and amply portioned. Beautiful views across the valley can be had from the comfort of that restaurant.
The day of the wedding was organised and the staff were fully attentive to their duties and the whole event went off smoothly, albeit getting a quart into a pint pot ! But still a testiment to their attention to detail. As the evening approached again I was pleasantly surprised that the noise form the new conference area did not intrude on the sleeping of us older members.
By the end of our stay I was at peace with the gentle approach of this hotel and wish them well in the future as I understand continual improvement of facilities and services has been embraced by the Best Western to bring this hotel forward in this idilic part of the UK.
By the end of

Room Tip: The newer rooms are probably better catered for. The old rooms have some problems that the Hotel sho...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
I am delighted we won you over, and while it is true the hotel is an old building, Elizabeth 1st reputedly stayed, we believe we have sympathetically refurbished the hotel combining contemporary facilities with traditional charm. Many thanks for you good wishes and kind comments regarding staff,rest assured we will continue to improve and enhance our delightful property and our magnificent location
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We were staying at the Leigh Park Hotel on business but it felt more like a holiday. The staff were amazing especially the lovely chap who's wife does ceramic's (sorry never got his name). We enjoyed the food and the high standard or rooms and service. If I had one moan it would be the breakfast staff who all stood by the door chatting and we had to go over and ask if we could order poached eggs!! but to be honest that is nit-picking.
We will ask our booking agent for the Leigh Park Hotel again - I am quite sure we will be in the area again and I would love to stay there for a break too. Oh I saw the shower comment - my partner thought the shower was cold and that was because he didn't see the red button which is a H&S thing to stop stupid people and children from scalding themselves!! Good to know it works!! LOL xx

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
latonaleisure, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Many thanks for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at Leigh Park.
It is Peter whose wife does ceremics so I will make sure he sees the review. I will also make sure the breakfast staff take heed from your comments - thank you for advising me of this.
Look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel
Beechfield House
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Beanacre
Premier Inn Trowbridge Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel? Share your experiences!