“Family Weekend”

Best Western Leigh Park Hotel
Reviewed 9 November 2012

As part of a family gathering, we had a fantastic weekend at this hotel. The room was large and comfortable and I had a better nights sleep that i get in many hotels that i stay at. The staff were all very helpful and keen to make sure that we were happy. The breakfast was very good on both days with lots of choice and fresh food however slightly let down on the Sunday by a shortage of tables which could have been prevented by making sure that couples sat at tables for two rather than for four. The food at the evening meal on the Friday was everage however it was more than made up for by the most excellent dinner on the Saturday. The location was fantastic with beautiful gardens that we made the most of despite the weather being only average.
I travel a lot and have stayed at many top hotels around the UK & Europe and this hotel has lots more character than the average four/five star city center hotel.
I would certainly stay again.
There are others who posted a bad review from the same weekend and I really don't understand it!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
latonaleisure, Director of Sales at Best Western Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at Leigh Park with your family and pleased you liked the character and style of this beautiful Georgian Hotel
It was good to hear that you found the staff helpful and I know they enjoyed looking after you all. Fully appreciate your comments regarding the seating at breakfast and we are looking into ways to ensure the use of tables is better managed . Such a shame you could not take advantage of strolling in the gardens with such bad weather, however, we very much look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again to Leigh Park in the future, when hopefully the weather will be kinder.
Sincere regards

Reviewed 7 November 2012

It's winter, the rooms should have heating that is adequate to heat the room plus it's only on for a few hours in the evening, now it's been turned off and I'm freezing. On the bright side I have luke warm bacon, egg and sausage to look forward to for breakfast in the morning

Room Tip: It's pot luck, some have poor heating, some have problems with providing hot water at certain ti...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry that you were not completely comfortable during your stay with us.
I apologise for this, however the heating is actually on from 3 p.m. until 9 p.m. and again in the morning from 6 a.m. for a couple of hours. We constantly monitor the outside temperatures in order to provide sufficient comfort for our guests.
We are reluctant to increase the times as we receive comments that the rooms are too hot for many of our guests who switch the radiators off and open windows. As you can appreciate it is difficult to meet the individual demands of everyone. We do therefore offer supplementary heating in the form of oil filled mobile radiators for those who require their room to be hotter.

I am surprised at your comments regarding the ‘luke warm breakfast items.’ All food is cooked fresh throughout the period of the breakfast service so that the chaffon dishes are continually topped up in order to meet the demands during the busy periods. We receive many compliments regarding the selection and quality of the locally sourced items available. We are however, always happy to provided a freshly cooked breakfast upon request should you require a fried egg rather than scrambled. There are also a number of other options available to guests which can be ordered from the breakfast menu.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Leigh Park again soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I'd booked a number of rooms for various colleagues and I can say that I was one of the lucky ones. My room was in the loft, a generous size with a great bathroom and a comfy bed.

The hotel had just had some flooding issues so some of the common parts looked water damaged - as far as I know this didn't affect any of the rooms but it did mean that the hotel was less clean than usual. The staff were totally open about the issue so I have no issues with that.

We ate in the restaurant and I can confirm that the food was lovely, with a choice of menus depending on budget. Service was very attentive.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at Leigh Park and also enjoyed dining in the conservatoire restaurant with the picturesque views across the Wiltshire Downs.
However, I am somewhat baffled by your comments re flooding !! We are situated on the top of the hill in a delightful position with amazing views, at probably the highest point in Bradford on Avon well away from the River Avon which runs through the town. We have never experienced any flooding and have no streams or brooks near us. There is also no signs of water damage in any of the public areas which have all been recently refurbished.
I would be most interested to hear from you as to the ‘flooding damage’ you saw as I cannot find anything at all myself. Please do contact me via my email : Pamela@leighparkhotel.eclipse.co.uk
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed 3 November 2012

Just a quick note regarding the fabulous wedding reception that the staff of the Leigh Park arranged for my husband and I. We chose the hotel because of the setting and outstanding views from the grounds. We were blessed with the most fabulous weather on the day so our photos are stunning and all our guests experienced a brilliant summers day garden party atmosphere with Pimms and hog roast. The staff really pushed themselves on the day as we were at their full capacity for our event and we thought that Hamish was so professional and helpful. My only small issues were: before the event itself, we did have to do quite a bit of chasing with the wedding co-ordinator but this was rectified and the day itself more than made up for it. There was also some confusion for some of my guests (particularly family) about the prices they were paying for their rooms and many were required to stay for 2 nights even though they didn't really want to go to the additional expense. This was a hotel policy for weekend bookings but annoying as the hotel was already booked for a wedding the day before so they had many rooms taken on the Friday night anyway - more than making up for it. A tip for the management for the future would be to make a couple of rooms (maybe 3 or 4) at a more reasonable cost specifically for the wedding bridal party as weddings for these people are exceptionally costly and many other establishments do this. Also the mattress in the bridal suite needs replacing desperately - sags in the middle which is not great after a very long & tiring day!!! Apart from that a perfect day - thanks Hamish and staff from the day!

Room Tip: Coach house rooms are more modern, rooms in the main house are older in style but very large, rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights arriving on a Sunday afternoon. Receptionist friendly enough and we were (elderly couple) given the key to our room. I had read some adverse reviews that morning and had come not expecting a good experience. The de luxe room which was in the coach house was spacious and, had the weather been better, with good views over the vineyard. Then after unpacking, some of the adverse comments came to life. Heater in the bathroom was stone cold and it took us some time to fathom how we might switch it on. Three switches in an adjoining wardrobe eventually yielded results but it took a long time to heat up. This should, in our view, have been switched on to welcome us. As it was a gloomy foggy dank evening we soon became cold and upon enquiry told the heating came on at 5 pm. It did, but as the room was large and the small radiator only heated tepidly at the top it didn't make much impression. It was on for an hour! Luckily I had read about the cold that morning and had swapped a light dressing gown for a warm woolly one! I needed it! Then we switched on the TV - snow! No instructions and impossible to work out from the hand set what one should do. Then I decided to phone reception - phone dead! Both these items were reported when we went for our pre dinner drinks in the bar. The attendant was welcoming and he went to sort out the Tv with the comment that 'wedding guests muck them about' (How about checking that things work in the bedroom before welcoming guests?) He confirmed that the phone didn't work and I expressed the hope that it would be seen to the next day. It wasn't. This is not really good enough when the rates for B & B are so high. One doesn't expect to shiver in a woolly dressing gown in this type of hotel. Had the weather been colder I dread to think how one would have survived. The dining room, which was in a conservatory, was also cool and we kept our jackets on initially until warmed by dining!
Dinner was good but as the days went on we felt that the changes in the menu were insufficient - one change of starter and main course leaving one limited for choice. Breakfast was self service and as is quite common with such an arrangement the food was tepid. Plates were warm but not hot.

Since there have been other adverse comments I will comment on the decor. We found it to be fine and the dining room in particular was a very pleasing setting which would have been fantastic had the weather been good. Not the hotel's fault! It was a pleasure to be in the dining room.

The staff are good but as another reviewer has commented, one did not expect to have to summon the waiter in the bar and we didn't realize we had to until we saw someone else ring the bell. Not really very welcoming - is it shortage of staff or economy?

The pricing of our dinner menu changed in the course of our stay but we were told this must be a misprint! Apart from the first evening, where the hotel honoured the mistake we had to pay the full for the next 2. Not very good value at the real price. I hope this review helps others as others helped us, not the least in warning us of the cold!

Room Tip: Room 263 in the coach house is fine but not in winter!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annenest60
latonaleisure, Director of Sales at Best Western Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Many thanks for your considered review.
I am sorry you had reason not to be completely satisfied with your stay and we have certainly taken on board your comments. The telephone engineer has been completely baffled by the failure of the telephone in your room. He had been called the day of your arrival and failed to rectify the problem - for which I am sincerely sorry.

Our New flat screen digital TV’s have a precise operating procedure which is detailed in the room folder.

The heating is on for the comfort of our guests throughout the Hotel and is monitored on a daily basis to ensure that we satisfy the needs of our residents, but we also offer supplementary heating in the form of mobile radiators should any guests require their rooms to be warmer.
The towel rail and the under floor heating in the bathroom for added comfort, are controlled in the wardrobe, just outside the bathroom, but in view of your comments I will be making sure this information is detailed in the room folders.

The dinner menu changes daily so that we can take advantage of fresh produce delivered daily from our local organic meat and vegetable supplier, and I am pleased you enjoyed your meals with us.
The small lounge bar is not manned throughout the day however, staff are always available for service as required.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to Leigh Park again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I was really looking forward to staying here and, as you can see from my other reviews, I'm pretty easy to please, but Leigh Park was a huge disappointment.

Where to start? We arrived and were given a room right next to a loud kitchen extractor vent. When we mentioned to the receptionist that we'd find it hard to sleep because of the noise, instead of an apology or the offer of a replacement room we were told 'nobody usually has a problem with it.' Funnily enough, the receptionist then immediately offered the vent's running times.

We decided to change rooms, so the receptionist begrudgingly moved us, but the second room smelled heavily of damp, had large damp patches up the walls and black mould growing where the skirting board met the carpet. I'm surprised the local council allows the hotel to run in that condition to be honest, and will be sending photos of the mould on to them. The smell was so bad (both receptionists claimed not to have been in the room they moved us to so they didn't know about the damp) that we went back to the first room with the loud vent, which then woke us up at 7am each day of our stay. Not exactly relaxing!

The rest of our Leigh Park experience was also disappointing. Bar staff were friendly but the food was atrocious. Think dry chicken and bits of shell in the crab blinis... not nice!

Essentially this place has seen better days and the staff (receptionists in particular) need to go on a customer service training course. Instead of apologising they tried to deny there were any problems. It's a shame, as the setting is beautiful, but even the views couldn't make up for the terrible service. I have taken photos of the issues we encountered and will be sending to Best Western HQ, as Leigh Park is clearly damaging to the BW brand.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ToSeaSee

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to learn that you were not completely satisfied with your stay.
I understand you were part of a family gathering who thoroughly enjoyed their stay and sent a very complimentary email thanking the Hotel for a lovely weekend.

I apologise for the problems you encountered in your room and thank you for bringing this to my attention as we have not had a problem with this situation before. However, the room has now been inspected and steps have been taken to decrease the fan noise so as not to affect the room.

The alternative room offered to you had been taken off for maintenance as a leakage from the bathroom had caused a damp problem on the wall behind the entrance door, which has now been rectified.

We get many approving comments on the friendly, helpful and professional staff who will always endeavour to satisfy any requests.

I was disappointed to read your remark regarding the food – we receive numerous compliments relating to the high standard of cuisine offered at Leigh Park. We use a local organic meat and vegetable supplier with all dishes cooked fresh to order. The rest of your party said they had a most enjoyable dinner on the Saturday night.

I very much hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to Leigh Park again in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

On arrival we found the staff very helpfull and friendly, our room was in the coach house.We found the room vey well furnished and modern .well travelled couple who goes to lots of hotels in wish we rate it not bad. 7out of 10 . remember its only a three star hotel . The bar was small and ringing the bell for service is not what you really expect . The resturant was very good but a bit pricey for what you got. They need to take little bit notice to the maintaince around the building and detaild they miss.

Room Tip: the coach house
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jonround
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Beechfield House
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Beanacre
Shaw Country House Hotel

Been to Best Western Leigh Park Hotel? Share your experiences!