“Very forgetable”

BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Very forgetable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I was allocated a room in which i felt totally uncomfortable due to the poor standards on the room, not only on it is cleanliness, but the overall state and decor of the room. On the positive side, after I talked to the receptionist about it, they gave me another room for the reminder of my stay. One time experience, never again

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Monica C

Thank you for your review. I must admit I was extremely surprised to read your comments regarding our guestrooms. It is a very rare occurrence when the standards and cleanliness of our rooms is in doubt or indeed questioned, as the housekeeping standards are very high and they pride themselves on the level of service they offer. Please accept my sincere apologies if this was not the case during you visit.

I would just like to point out that all guestrooms are individually designed and decorated and offer a full complement of facilities including flat screen TV’s, complimentary beverages, free WiFi and full en-suite facilities.

I was however very pleased to read that once you had bought your concerns to the attention of the receptionist on duty immediate action was taken and you were allocated an alternative guest room for the remainder of your stay, that you commented was a ‘Positive’.

Thank you Monica for your feedback, I can assure you it is very welcome and any areas that require our attention will be addressed as to ensure all our guests and enjoyable and comfortable experience and stay.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, we certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Our large party, some of whom stayed a few nights all seemed to experience the same poor level of service from the waiting staff. In particular the restaurant manager. Absolutely no clue about his surroundings.Slightly rude and very abrupt which is no way to treat paying guests really. He let down the experience of staying there. Because of this we've decided to cancel our company Christmas dinner at the restaurant and book elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank debeer75
Dear debeer75

Thank you for your review. However, I was surprised to read your comments regarding the standards of service in the restaurant, as the dedicated staff at the hotel pride themselves on the level of customer service they provide. Please accept my sincere apologies should this have not been your personal experience.

I would like to assure you that your comments and feedback are very much appreciated and we will take every action to investigate and rectify any customer service areas that fall below our very high standards, as to ensure our continued and dedicated commitment to our guests.

I would like to ask that you contact the hotel general manger directly prior to cancelling your company Christmas Dinner and I can assure you that any concerns you may have will certainly be addressed as to ensure you the most enjoyable company Christmas dinner.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, we do hope to hear from you soon and look forward to welcoming you back again this festive season.
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Leigh Park Best Western stands out as a case study on how NOT to run a hotel. It was a disaster! Sorry, but judge for yourself from our recent 3-day experience:

1. Incredibly noisy! After a long (but fun) day of touristy activity, we checked in, ate dinner at the hotel, and were ready for an early night. Not to be! At 9pm, the room exploded with loud booming music from a social event in the large reception room below. We later learned our Leigh Park hotel room was one of 6 or 7 in that building, all above a reception/entertainment hall. The music was non-stop for three hours (to midnight). A staffer later advised that another event was planned for the next evening! (Note to Mgt: Always put the event's guests in these rooms, not other visitors, or at least forewarn guests in advance.)

2. Paid a premium room price for a standard room. Our room seemed too small for the premium room we prepaid online several weeks earlier. We later discovered that Leigh Park Best Western did indeed assign us to a standard room. Worse, the hotel did so deliberately because no one acknowledged or corrected the overcharge when we checked in even though they know the room rates. Even when we discovered the problem, front desk the next morning bluntly asked: “Do you want to move to another room?” No acknowledgement of any error, even after I pointed out the room price error. And no effort by Leigh Park Best Western to compensate for a ruined evening due to the noise! Furthermore, we discovered that we were originally assigned to a premium room, which was changed to a standard room a few hours before our arrival. We know this because when we gave the dinner sever our room number when paying the bill she said her guest list showed us assigned to another room, which was a premium room in another building.

3. Room quality problems. On day 2, Leigh Park Best Western assigned us to a premium room. Spacious and quiet with a nice view of a field. Unfortunately, the room had one of the strongest musty smells we can recall (and we’ve stayed at some very backwoods motels over the years). The bed was so old and lumpy that I could count the bed springs. The shower had almost no water pressure (honestly, it took forever to rinse the shampoo out of my short hair!). At this point, the standard room from our 1st night seemed a dream, but even it fell short of a basic Holiday Inn Express or Premier Inn. (NOTE: Some other Tripadvisor comments warn reads to ask for a refurbished room only.)

4. To add insult to injury, my wife found a huntsman spider in the bathroom. OK, spiders aren't terrible (except in beds), but this is just one more drip in the Leigh Park water torture. I later learned my wife photographed the creature before we released it outside, so the Leigh Park huntsman pic is attached. So notice the grubby floor.

4. Billing error. Could a hotel get worse? Yes! The accommodation had been prepaid, so on checkout, I expected to pay for the dinner billed to our room minus a refund for the standard room versus premium rate we paid. Instead, the invoice was four times the price of our dinner! Leigh Park Best Western tried to bill us the rack rate (not online rate we already paid) for all three nights! Never mind that they didn't do the right thing and completely refund our first ruined night. They almost took us for more than their usual room rate!

These customer service failures, and lack of any corrective action even when advised, leads to one conclusion: Leigh Park Best Western probably should be avoided as a place to stay.

Let me put these comments in perspective: Each year we visit about two dozen hotels across the quality range (two to five star) on three continents. Everyone experiences so-so hotels with the odd Fawlty Tower service. Like others, we take these in stride. But Leigh Park deserves to be a case study on how NOT to run a hotel. Also, I am writing and posting this two months later so the comments are more factual and reflective.

Finally, don’t let Leigh Park Best Western's serious problems deter you from visiting Bradford-on-Avon (at another hotel, of course). The town is charming and local staff are friendly and skilled. The Saxon church, local tea rooms, tithe barn, and Farliegh Hungerford castle were nearby highlights. The Dandylion pub has wonderful ambience with good value meals and friendly staff. We also enjoyed breakfast at The Bridge tea rooms.

Room Tip: Insist on refurbished rooms and carefully review your invoice at checkout!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stlamc
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear stlamc

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding the BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel. Naturally, I was sincerely concerned to learn of your upset and I was ever so sorry to read your comments.

I would just like to offer my comments regarding some of the points raised; I can assure you that it is hotel policy to allocate rooms to guests not attending an event at the hotel into rooms away from any noise disturbance and I am sincerely apologetic that you were allocated a guestroom above our function suite on your first night. I was however pleased to read that when this was bought to the attention of our reception team you were immediately allocated an alternative guestroom for the remainder of your stay and I do hope that you enjoyed the panoramic views across our gardens, grounds and Wiltshire Downs.

Since your stay with us over two months ago I would like to assure you that your comments regarding the guestroom facilities are now somewhat redundant as we have investigated and rectified any issues that were present. Our guest beds are all under 12 months old and we usually receive excellent feedback in relation to the extreme comfort of our beds and have actually organised purchases for past guests from our local supplier. However we do appreciate your constructive comments and would ask any future guests that should they experience any areas of our hotel that fall below their expectations to bring this to the attention of a manager or team member so that we can address any issue as quickly and effectively as possible.

I can only apologise for the error with your final room account and assure you that such errors are very rare, but unfortunately on occasion do happen. This is why we always ask each and every guest to check their room account prior to departure and highlight to us any inconsistences or errors. I was pleased that we could rectify the error prior to your departure.

On a final note I would like to point out that the UK does not have a population of huntsman spiders as these are found mainly in Asia and Australia and the arachnid in the picture is a totally harmless common house/garden spider that can be found in any building in the UK. However I accept this must have been quite a shock and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you for your comments, I can assure you they are very welcome and also any areas that require our attention will be addressed as to ensure all our guests an enjoyable and comfortable experience. Our friendly, helpful and efficient staff always endeavour to provide a level of customer service that will enhance our guests stay.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, we certainly would like the opportunity to offer our hospitality to you once again, should you visit the UK again in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Bradford-on-Avon hotels

Goring By Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Great location near Bradford upon Avon, quiet and some of the rooms have a fantastic view. All I have come to expect from BW Hotels, good rooms with everything you need, both bar and restaurant menus, continental and English breakfast available.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Andrew G

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that you found our hotels location in Bradford-on-Avon ideal for your stay and that we could also meet and exceed your expectations from previous experiences of Best Western Hotels.

The management and staff at the Best Western Leigh Park Hotel pride themselves on the level and quality of our hotel and the service they provide and it is always a pleasure to read when their commitment and dedication has helped make any guests stay that little more enjoyable, thank you for your comments and feedback.

Thank you for choosing the Best Western Leigh Park Hotel & Vineyard we do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.
E. Sussex England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We were booked in for two nights and experienced levels of service normally reserved for 5 star city hotels. Every member of staff was genuinely determined to make the stay perfect. Levels of cuisine were high, room was delightful and the setting beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Tonyblue

Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your two night stay with us and that the dedicated team at the hotel exceeded your expectations. They truly do pride themselves on providing a level of customer service that enhances our guests stay and makes for a memorable and enjoyable visit. I will be certain to pass on your comments to the management and staff at the hotel.

Thank You for choosing the BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel & Vineyard, we do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I travel all over uk and Europe I have experience of judging Hotels and their food, , stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and experienced some great time could not fault it great staff very helpful kind and polite and the food must be the best I have had special thanks to the chef.The rooms were tremendous clean big and beautiful got to be my best stay to date.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Mohamed Akram A

Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your 3 night stay at our hotel and found our dedicated staff welcoming, kind and polite throughout.

I will be certain to pass on your comments to all of our staff that helped make your stay so enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel & Vineyard, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel
Beechfield House
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Beanacre
Premier Inn Trowbridge Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel? Share your experiences!