“Agree the service could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Three Gables - CLOSED

The Three Gables
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Agree the service could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

We live in Trowbridge but went to the Three Gables not long after it opened to take advatage of its rather reasonable Sunday 3 course lunch.

The food was lovely and the place was stunning.

The only issue was the service, poor English which led to numerous mistakes with drinks and food orders and led to them under charging us for a whole round (their loss!)

This was odd as we remember the onwner from Red or White in Trowbridge and I am sure he never employed such poor standards of service there.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank CPBisthebest

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Sublime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

I can't recommend this place highly enough. The staff are slick, professional and highly knowledgeable. The food is excellent, prepared with great care and delicious. My scallops with cauliflower and curry oil was the nicest starter I have had anywhere. The place itself is beautiful and tasteful and the three piece jazz band made for a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere. It is fairly pricey here, but you certainly get what you pay for, we could not have been looked after better and can't wait for our next visit. Go here and spoil yourselves....it's worth it.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Peanuts1010
Bath, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

The welcome, decor and service alone would be enough to give the Three Gables 5 stars in my book, and that's before a single bite of their excellent food. The attention to detail is faultless and better than some "top-end" hotel/restaurants I have been fortunate enough to experience in the past. No hesitation in recommending a visit.

• Visited October 2012
Bath, United Kingdom
“Impressive local food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

Having walked past The Three Gables countless times, we stopped by on the off-chance for a rather late Saturday lunch. We were extremely impressed with the food: deceptively simple dishes - like pork belly with cauliflower & curry oil and rice pudding with apple compote - were perfectly executed. We felt that the portions were extremely well balanced for midday and, although we were being treated by friends, the bill seemed very reasonable for food of this calibre. Having been a crumbling empty shell for many years, the restaurant is thoughtfully restored, combining the inherent wonkiness of the old building, clean lines and comfort. The service was efficient but, if we were to have a single niggle it would be to say that the waiters were only just the right side of frosty. Yes, we were a little late to be arriving for lunch (about 1.40pm) but we didn't exactly dawdle. However, everything else about the meal was unalloyed 5 stars. We shall certainly be back and might even be greeted with a smile...

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank s1mpkin
Bristol, United Kingdom
“What a Great Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

We were at a loss as to where to have lunch on Saturday and we thought a trip out to Bradford-on-Avon might be a nice change ... It was that simple choice that lead us to the doors of this superb restaurant. Looking at the menu board by the front door was almost enough but the recommendation of the tall stranger who politely told us it was a great place to eat was the tipping point and in we went. We probably could have guessed that it was the owner who met us inside this fabulous old building by the courtesy and warmth of welcome but, after our stay, I'm delighted to say that all the staff share these characteristics and it is "a warm welcoming" restaurant. We ate upstairs in a magnificent room with views across the towns famous bridge and, with everything at the right pace and with an air of calmness and serenity we were guided through the luncheoning process. They serve Peroni, my favourite lager and my female guests assured me that their wines (one red and one white) were superb. The menu was not over-facing but imaginative and, as is my wont, I chose a starter that I hadn't had before " warm vegetable salad" which was just delicious. jan assured me that the soup was splendid and Anita's pâté was also adjudged to be first class. My pork main course followed the same exemplary standard as did the lady's beef and, when it came to desert, the choice once more were varied and diverse. Anita and I chose a wonderful panacotta flavoured by an obscure South American bean which was devastatingly different and subtly gorgeous whilst Jan,s apple desert was also reportedly excellent. With a great jug of coffee to finish with and a bill that was about the only thing all day that wasn't breathtaking the whole lunch experience was delightful and one that we have avowed to repeat again and again even though the return journey is approximately 90 miles. Well done to the whole team who have (and are continuing to) create a wonderful gastronomic haven in this beautiful town.

1 Thank Baritone747