“Good eating, good shopping”
Review of Hartley Farm

Hartley Farm
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Excellent cafe food- fresh ingredients, well cooked. Gets very busy at weekends. The farm shop also has some very good buys and excellent quality.

Tom B, Owner at Hartley Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hi Linda,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments! I will take great pleasure in telling the rest of the team!
Best wishes and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Visited Hartley Farm's cafe on a Thursday lunchtime for a quick working lunch, lots of mums and babies, but still plenty of room. Great service and a good range of hot food, including the haddock chowder (highly recommended). Lots of free parking, great service, and easy to get to etc. Would recommend.

Tom B, Owner at Hartley Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Hi there,
Thanks you for posting your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and were well looked after by our team! Thank you also for taking the trouble to give us this much appreciated feedback!
Look forward to seeing you again soon
Best wishes

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My family and I went to Hartley farm for their Bank holiday Monday event. We knew it would be busy, so accepted the long queue to order our lunch. We heard the food was excellent so thought it would be worth the wait. Boy, were we wrong! My husband ordered the vegetarian breakfast without mushrooms. He recieved 1 sausage, 1 egg, half a tomato, and a piece of toast. We thought this was a rather sparse offering for £5.99. My fennel and carrot soup with lemon ricotta cream was delicious, however had the consistency of baby food rather than a soup. The most risible offering was my son's macaroni cheese, which I would have been embarrassed to bring to the table. He had a bowl of cooked pasta with grated cheese on top! We were charged £4.70 for this, and neither I or my son were impressed. We will not be eating there again, which is a shame as they make the most delicious coffee. We understand that they were very busy on the day, but there really is no excuse for the standard and quality of the food we had.

1  Thank Claire L
Tom B, Owner at Hartley Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Hi Lisa,
Firstly thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on your experience, I am sorry you didnt enjoy it as much as we would have liked you too. Thank you for also mentioning the day you came, due to the sunshine we were hugely more busy than expected which did mean the pressures the team were under were a lot greater than usual. However I am sorry to hear you felt the quality of your food wasn't up to standard. I will speak to the kitchen team about this and see what we can do to improve. Our food is made from scratch using quality and where possible local ingredients which does make us slightly more expensive with some dishes that your average cafe but we don't want to be an average cafe! We feel we offer great value for our dishes which is more important to us than offering cheap dishes. We get largely great feedback on our menu and dishes you mentioned but please be sure to know that if we do fall short we do our best to improve. Should you wish to call in again please let me know (tom@hartley-farm.co.uk) and I would love the opportunity to apologise in person and try to make it right. I would like to think the recommendations you had initially are what we deliver on more often than not!
Very best wishes
Tom Bowles

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We are looking to buy property in the area and visited the cafe twice in March. The first time we just had a cup of tea and enjoyed the sunny glass fronted restaurant area. The second time we went back for lunch and the place was heaving with people. No where to sit. We ordered and asked a couple who were occupying a large table if we could join them. It turned out that this couple didn't know one another either but were sharing the table. We had a marvelous time in conversation and enjoyed the food too. Now we are hoping the purchase goes through and we'll be back.

Tom B, Owner at Hartley Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Hi,
Thank you for your comments. We're really glad you enjoyed both of your visits. We love that you ended up having great conversations with strangers as we love bringing people together over great food, it's what makes us happiest! We are lucky enough to have a great community around us and hope also the purchase goes through so you can join us!
Best wishes and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Hartley Farm cafe is a lovely place with good food and generous portions. I have a small baby, and a group of us (mums and babies) occasionally meet here for lunch. I commend the staff for their patience navigating around all our car seats. It must be daunting, yet they've all been very friendly and patient, so thank you!
Would love to see some vegetarian salads on the regular menu, but other than that there is still a good veggie selection, and the quality of the food is top notch.

Tom B, Owner at Hartley Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you very much for your comments, we're really pleased you enjoy visiting us! I will pass your comments on to the team!
Best wishes