“Hartley Farm goes from strength to strength”
Review of Hartley Farm

Hartley Farm
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We frequently walk to Hartley Farm from our home in Bradford on Avon - every good walk must have a coffee/pub stop! Coffee is good and the cakes are always tempting. The chocolate and Guiness cake is to die for, my husband's favourite is the Victoria sponge, carrot cake also excellent, very light.

Yes, the cafe is popular and can get very busy but the addition of Little Hartley is a brilliant idea, I shall certainly be bringing my grandchildren again, we can't keep them off the tractor. We also enjoy seeing other people's children looking at the animals. If you want a quiet meal or drink then stick to midweek and outside school holidays, although some of us 'seniors' can get a bit noisy if there is a group of us!

We visited last Sunday morning, the first time for a few weeks and were delighted to see the fabulous flower garden - it seems to have grown up amazingly quickly. So well thought out and a beautiful addition to the attractions - the wildflower areas were absolutely stunning.

I cannot praise Hartley Farm enough. Much better than another well advertised local farm shop attraction. As Arnold Schwarzenager would say 'I'll be back'.

1  Thank Spikesgran

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Hartley farm is a friendly warm oasis from the hustle and bustle of Bath life. The food is great especially their full english or their home made cakes and the coffees are generous, rich and smooth. Always a lovely experience whether I am shopping in the farm shop or eating in the cafe.

1  Thank KiwiinMilan
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We needed food after being on the road since 04:20 and decided to grab a coffee and cake at the Hartley Farm Shop as our day was far from complete. From the outside it looked as we might have expected, albeit a little larger than many "farm shops" but that's where the comparison ends. We entered through a well stocked delicatessen and butchers (the provenance of the meat displayed for all to see) and found an airy modern restaurant furnished in a minimalist Scandinavian style. There was a wide choice of dishes, including toasted teacakes and more substantial bistro type meals. My wife chose the homemade fishcake and I opted for a cheese "ploughman's"; both were freshly prepared, nicely presented with generous portions. Observing other diners plates the same appeared to be true, whatever had been ordered.

1  Thank GibBob
Tom B, Owner at Hartley Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Hello,
Thank you very much for your lovely review. I'm really glad you enjoyed your visit and food on your pit-stop! We hope the rest of your journey went smoothly and hope to see you again, when you are next on the road perhaps!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

10 of us were booked in for lunch and we were requested to be on time. We eventually got our "cold" lamb about an hour later. we accept the fact their notice says that good food takes time. I don't mind waiting if it's good. I will not be going back. One of our group paid the bill and mentioned to the lady at the till that the meal was cold. "oh sorry" and then something about the kitchen, which I missed. No refund or discount was offered and this was on a £10.50 per person single course sunday lunch. I could say more but, ah well, once bitten.

On the way in my wife had noticed that in the farm shop butchers counter there were some faggots which looked pretty good. We cooked them last night. They turned out to be something that had been extremely finely minced mixed with very strong liver. Oh yuck.

1  Thank NomadDorset
Tom B, Owner at Hartley Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hello,
Thank you very much for your time in providing us with some feedback on your recent visit, I am really sorry to hear we didnt meet your expectations this time.

We were aware that we had serive time issue in our kitchen on Sunday, the cafe team have discussed and reviewed this and have already made some changes to better manage the situation in the future. An hour to wait for food is too long, especially if it doesnt get to you in the best condition, and we are very sorry for this. I will be speaking to the team who were working on Sunday to see how this incident was missed and you left feeling that the situation hadnt been resolved or at least acknowledged. We will always try and compensate for someone who hasn't enjoyed their experience, we will work hard to make sure we find out why and try to improve.

Our butchers make our faggots from scratch using our own produce and a traditional recipe. I have passed on your feedback to them too though for them to take on board and review. I'm again very sorry you didnt enjoy these.

I would love to be able to talk to you in more detail about your expereince and try to make it right for you. If you would be willing to contact me through tom@hartley-farm.co.uk I would be most grateful.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Found this wonderful cafe, farm shop when we by passed Bath and travelled through Bradford on Avon. Fabulous menu, great choice and very reasonably priced. Very busy Saturday lunch time but staff friendly and efficient. Mamouth ploughmans sandwich for two and coffees only £12. Will definately be going again, best pickle l have had for years.

Tom B, Owner at Hartley Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hi Pauline,
Thank you so much for your comments, the team and I were very proud to read them! We look forward to welcoming you again