“Unpretentious, friendly, and great river views” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Riverside Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bradford-on-Avon
The Riverside Inn
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Unpretentious, friendly, and great river views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We visited using a Groupon voucher for b&b (not evening meal) and initially weren't sure if this was a good pick as the pub rooms seemed clearly designed for lively locals and the beer garden for smokers. But the room was delightful - clean, well equipped, and with a lovely view along the river. Breakfast was basic quality but a wide range of buffet items plus cooked options. Our hosts were very friendly, there's wifi available, and overall we felt it extremely good value for what we'd paid.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Crysse

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dartford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I have been prompted by Trip Advisor about my stay at Bradford on Avon. To be honest I wish I had looked at their site before going.I'vealready posted a review of this place and can only confirm that unless something drastic has happened in the last year regarding Riverside Inn, I would not recommend this tip to anyone. Bradford on Avon itself is a nice place to visit but unless someone has worked the oracle this place is to be avoided.Food was poor to average,accomodation dirty,staff were fairly pleasant but indifferent. There are far better places to stay in B-O-A unless the miacle has happened.

Room Tip: Don't pay any deposit, unless this place has had a major upgrade, you're wasting your money.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank john W

Travellers are raving about these Bradford-on-Avon hotels

Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Visited on Groupon deal, poor quality all round. Room not too bad, bathroom was very small, very dated and in poor state of refurbishment. All round not very clean. breakfast was gross.
Thank god for the Dandy Lion pub in the town. food, drink and atmosphere very good.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony T
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Stayed for one night, ok room but no towels and only 1/4 toilet roll! Clean beds but dirty, dusty room.
Breakfast however, was horrible. Dirty cutlery and smeary glasses too dirty too drink from. Cooked food was so bad we went to a cafe.
BOA is a lovely town, but would never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Cubatastic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I booked this using a Groupon deal and after reading some off the reviews I was not looking forward to the stay.

We stayed in room 12 which was very nice and had a four poster bed. The bathroom also looked nice with a big walkin shower, however the toliet had not been cleaned properly or flushed. The toliet was difficult to flush and did start to smell towards the end of our 2 nights stay.

The rooms are above the pub so you can hear the music until 12midnight. We eat in the restaurant, and the food was pretty much what you expect of average pub food. We did receive a free bottle of wine for eating in the restaurant.

The location for getting into Bath is very good. It's a 2 min walk to the teak station and then 10mins on the train.

The staff were friendly, however we found the cooked breakfast awful and decided avaunt having breakfast on the second morning.

Overall as a Groupon deal for two nights this was ok value for money, I would not have been happy paying the full amount. The roon was nice on sight but was let down by poor cleanness partlicualry with the toliet.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Spy27
Somerset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Nice sized room with fairly good decoration, first impression from staff was good as they were nice and friendly. One of the windows was permanently ajar as it could not be closed creating a cold draft which was, thankfully, combatted by nice thick curtains. Awful shower which made the floor wet and sprayed out to both sides instead of the front. Good tea/coffee facilities for one night and above average toiletries in the bathroom along with nice fluffy towels. Noise travelled through from next door which annoyed my other half, my deafness came up trumps! Bathroom smelt of chips after 5pm and fried breakfast in the morning. We had to laugh having read this in other reviews on another website!

Breakfast experience was not good. Dirty, sticky glasses and cutlery is never a good start. It wasn't clear that cooked food was an option (we'd been given the impression we'd have had to order this ahead of time) and we'd already helped ourselves to the limited 'continental' selection before we were offered tea/coffee and the cooked food menus were brought (we'd been sat down over 15minutes). Took a good while to be asked for what we wanted and when our food was brought out it was cold.

Would probably stay here again if we were staying in BoA but would definitely avoid the breakfast and opt for food in town. Think the B&B should read what people are saying as many of these problems would be an easy fix!

Room Tip: Ones that aren't above the kitchen probably smell nicer!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank queenmedusa
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Whatever you do, do NOT stay at this truly dreadful 'Inn'. My partner had booked up a birthday surpise weekend for us, and from the website, this place looked lovely. Don't believe it - it was the most awful place I think I have ever stayed in my life. On arrival, we absailed up the steep stairs lugging heavy weekend cases, and along to ourroom. We opened the door to an arctic wind - all the windows were open, fair enough, but the radiator was broken as well. I went downstairs to the young girl and asked if the heating could be turned on, she said vaguely that she would look into it, and that's the last I saw of her. Back to the room, and I was shocked to see that the loo had clearly not been cleaned at all, it was filthy. On inspection of the bathroom generally, the soap dish was covered in old soap, the basin also had a rim of scum all around it, and the shower itself was not good at all, apart from anything, the shower was weedy with half the holes in the head being bunged up with limescale.

Trying to put on a brave face and not show my disappointment to my partner (it was his 'treat'!) I thought I would make some coffee - but both coffee mugs were filthy, and I had to scrub them in the bathroom sink. The carpet in the room had clearly not been hoovered for what looked like months, and the bed cover was spotted with stains... I checked the bedsheets to see if they were clean, otherwise I would have packed up and left immediately, and they were. (Obviously sent to an outside laundry, crisp and clean.) Oh, there are so many things... the hairdryer in the bathroom was broken, so I spent two days with wet hair, the TV would not work, the windows and window frames were thick with damp muck all around; when I wiped some off with some tissue it was a thick, black goo.... I really did not want to touch ANYTHING in the room.

We gingerly went down for breakfast in the morning... there was no one about except for a none-too-clean youngish gent in the restaurant kitchen. His son ran in and out, with a weeping sore on his forehead, a bit off-putting. After about 10 minutes he came out and offered us coffee or tea, and then served breakfast. The 'full English' all tasted the same, obviously cooked in very old fat, and we could barely eat a third of it before we started to feel sick. The 'continental breakfast' consisted of a basket of tired looking criossants and muffins, stale and open to the elements. If all this wasn;t bad enough, there was a mangy, thin, stray-looking cat in the kichen and dining area! No effort was made to remove this animal. By that time we had seen enough, and left for Bath for the day.

On our return, we realised that there was a disco pounding out ear-splitting music right ABOVE our room. I honestly, could not believe what was happening - it was so loud we couldn't even hear the TV (which we had now got working). I went downstairs to complain, and was told 'Steve' was at the bar. I'm afraid after viewing the landlord of this establishment, and listening to him talk to the regulars at the bar I lost my nerve and decided not to complain... My partner and I escaped to a pub around the corner, and although so tired, we knew it was pointless to go back to the hotel as we literally had been shouting at each other over the din.

We came back about 10.30 and were told there was a wedding reception (with disco) going on. We complained that we were not informed, and could we be moved to another room... no rooms available. So we sat on the bed in our room, listening to the racket downstairs and just praying for midnight when it would stop. The next morning we skipped breakfast, and checked out as soon as possible. We were not charged for the second night.

I said to my friend it was like staying at Fawtly Towers, but in fact it wasn't - Fawlty Towers was probably much, much better.

AVOID! AVOID AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

• Stayed November 2011