“Nice hotel that could do with a bit of attention to detail”
Review of Swan Hotel

Swan Hotel
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The hotel is centrally situated and historic. The bedroom was pleasant with good furniture and a very comfortable bed. TV had many channels. Breakfast excellent. The downside was that the corridors were a bit shabby with stained carpets in places. The decor in the room was in need of tlc the window was rotting and had no way to fix it shut as the catch had dropped off. The shower was poor with no way to get it past lukewarm. The bathroom has no window and extractor fan did not work. The hand for the flush was dropping off so I fixed it! Simple. Staff were pleasant but not much atmosphere

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 June 2011

This is an historic hotel, not meeting its potential simply because of poor service and lack of attention to detail. Upgrading pictures on walls and furnishings does not automatically upgrade a hotel! The reception area is a scruffy hole in the wall which you could pass without noticing, and is seldom manned. When I arrived, a key was shoved in my hand; I was not asked if I needed help with my heavy case; I was not told where my room was (and Room 6 is impossible to find, because the fire-door leading to it is unmarked); I was not asked if I would like a paper in the morning. At breakfast I was told that they had 'run out of marmalade'. WHY? This is not good enough for £100 a night!

Room Tip: ask for room on first floor and at the front
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank hilfin
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Great place to stay. Worth every penny. Huge bathroom , great bed, good food and jazz band on Thursday night. I would definitley recommend this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We stayed here for a weekend break and only have good things to say. The Swan is a traditional coaching inn located in the town centre which has had a stylish makeover. Despite the junction at the front it's quieter than you might think and it virtually backs onto the river. Service is friendly and efficient and the spacious downstairs rooms are pleasant for a drink or sampling the decent food. Upstairs, we were upgraded to a very comfortable superior room. The real reason to stay here though might be the location: the train station for Bath is five minutes walk and the countryside is sensational. Might well be a better option than an overpriced country house hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Spent our wedding anniversary here recently. Pretty average in terms of room and service. Room was very drafty - and cold all night -, made more obvious by concierge hastily putting the heating on as we entered - could they not have done this earlier in advance of our arrival? A quaint, higuldy-pigaldy building with character and charm - pub and lounge areas are very nice, also open fire, and mulled wine in our rooms was a treat. Breakfast was very nice - lots of choice, swift (if a little surly) service, and good food. Sadly not enough to merit the £125 price tag, though.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2010

To stay in an old Coaching Inn, in the very centre of BOA. was awsome enough !
We were lucky enough to be there on a Thrursday eve. for the live jaz in the vaulted cellars below that ancient building.
Our room was very clean, tidy and ticked all our boxes. Large car park.
B.fast could not be faulted, and even the cutlery was hand polished, never seen that before !! Such attention to detail was amazing.
A real log (inglnook) fire, and comfy sofas in the bar area were very relaxing.
If you are lucky, as we were, the owner will play his 'didgeridoo' in the bar. That was fantastic..
No outside heating on the terrace though !
We don't usualy write reviews but this was a very special experience for a 'loved up' couple !!.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I have friends in Bradford on Avon and so i know and like the town. This time I was v tired after a long year of work and needed a 3- day lazy escape doing nothing but sleeping, relaxing and having long baths and maybe the odd walk to a pub to eat. I'd seen the Swan but never stayed there but I got a good deal and so I took it and had a great time, achieving the relaxation I wanted. The room was big and spacious and the en suite had a proper bathroom with bath. The bed was amazing and the duvet luxurious. I actually took the names of the makers for both as when I get a new bed I'll copy this one. getting into this bed was bliss. Bathroom spotless and shower great. With the car park you can of course park your car right outside. You are right in the middle of town which is great. Nice bar with proper local bitter, breakfast was great, staff very friendly. I had a few beers one night sitting in front of the big open fire. It's opposite one of the best 2 pubs in town - The Dandy Lion (the other is the Bunch of Grapes). It's a great place in a great town. On the Sunday I had a boatman's breakfast at the Boatman cafe then walked the canal before back to evening meal at The Barge and back to the swan to crash out in total comfort. I'm hoping to go back very soon. I stayed at another hotel nearby once and found the Swan better. I'll be back soon for more r and r. Only possible downside was slight raised voices from the back door area on saturday night - people going out to have a ciggie etc. It would be good if the staff could warn people there may be others trying to sleep above, but really it was not too bad at all fine and I am looking forward to coming back asap.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
Best Western Leigh Park Hotel
Dukes Hotel
Dukes Hotel
#2 of 34 in Bath
Fieldways Hotel & Health Club

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!