“Poor service” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Swan Hotel
“Poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

My whole family chose to come to the Swan hotel in order to celebrate my Grandmother's birthday for Sunday Roast however, for the first time ever, I feel compelled to write a review based upon how terrible the service was.
I work in a restaurant myself and the first warning bells rang for me when I realised that the whole of the eating area filled up at exactly the same time (approximately 1pm). This was obviously going to put pressure on the kitchen so I couldn't help but doubt that the food was going to arrive promptly whilst maintaining its quality. What confused me the most about this situation was that it appeared that most of the people being sat down, like ourselves, had booked. Are staff not aware of how to stagger times so as to not put undue pressure both on themselves and on the kitchen? Unfortunately, my doubts were realised. No one seemed to be taking any drinks orders and our food orders were taken pretty much at the same time after we'd had to beckon over waitresses. Time was of particular importance to us as my brother is only 5 years old and loses patience and gets bored (like most children) pretty quickly. The orders went in and our drinks arrived pretty quickly, the waitress who took our drinks orders to be fair to her seemed lovely. The food however took forever, given that we arrived at 1pm we didn't receive our starters until nearly 2pm and we didn't get our main courses for a further 45 minutes.
My main problem with the Swan lies with the older female waitress. The number of mistakes she made was ridiculous and she was incredibly rude both to us and her colleagues. To begin with we were looking at the menus she appeared to be short of some menus for some other customers so without a word she whipped the menu out from underneath my grandmother and gave it to someone else. When she finally took our food order she lent on the table and was incredibly slow writing everything out in long hand and forcing us to repeat our orders over and over again. When we became frustrated about the long wait between main courses and starters she kept repeating 'it will be out soon', when eventually pushed for a time she said 'five minutes'. After saying 'five minutes', twenty minutes passed and we had to ask her again to which she said the same. Had he been honest and told us the wait would be a long one we would've taken my little brother for a walk or done something in order to keep him entertained. Managing our expectations would have been extremely helpful and there is no shame in someone being honest.
Eventually our main courses did arrive at which point we were so hungry that we began eating straight away. My older brother realised quickly that his burger was missing cheese (which he had requested) so that had to be sent away to come back later. The arrival of food was not smooth some of our vegetables arrived half way through our mains. No check back was made and no one asked us whether we wanted any more drinks which we did. When we got her attention to order drinks she failed to ask my mother what kind of red wine she wanted and brought one drink at a time. Towards the end of the meal we realised that our beef had been missing Yorkshire puddings which we informed the waitress of to which she responded with 'YOU should have told me sooner' sorry what?! Later on she went on to say 'I'm not responsible for what the chef puts on the plate', ok but you should know what your dishes look like and what should be on them so you are responsible for not taking a dish out until it is complete and you are obliged to remind the chef if he has forgotten. To add insult to injury she only cleared half of our main course plates and then seemed to forget us as she wondered around the restaurant.
We ended up calling for the bill without a dessert when she came over and rambled some garbage about hopefully next time you come I won't just be in the restaurant by myself. Oh woe is me, her section wasn't even extortionately large and definitely should have be manageable. A couple of drinks were knocked off the bill at the end of the meal by the owner at which point my grandparents said that this had to be done last time because of the SAME waitress! This whole meal was made utterly ridiculous by the waitress which is an awful shame because the restaurant is lovely and the food was of a good standard and value. I can only hope they can get there act together for next weekend because my grandparents are having to return for a reunion. What a shame.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Hilary B
James S, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
We were sorry that our service and standards did not match up to your expectations or indeed even our expectations, you were absolutely correct that an error was made in taking the bookings and the team have been re-briefed to ensure that we do manage reservations more effectively.
There is no excuse for poor service and certainly the high pressure that the staff were put under on this ocassion was not handled well by them and we have discussed and reviewed this in detail.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Being unable to get a table at Thai Barn on a Saturday night we tried The Swan instead. An excellent Thai meal surprised us coupled with fairly priced lovely wine and very good service. I would thoroughly recommend this lovely restaurant to anyone. We will be trying it with the kids for a Sunday lunch soon,

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
James S, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Many thanks for your comments and we are pleased you enjoyed your experience, we aim to offer authentic Thai food alongside our traditional english offerings, glad it worked out for you and we look forward to welcoming you back again
Warminster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Our visit to the Swan Inn was spoilt by the service! The dining room was cosy the linen was spotless and the food was very good. The older waitress made so many mistakes it was almost funny. The service was very slow and when we informed her that is was 30 mins since we ordered dessert she went to see where it was.10 mins later she informed us it would be ready soon. When it arrived she said it took so long because she had to get horseradish for the next table to us! He had nearly finished his beef by the time it arrived. The bill was wrong, the table next to us got no veg,but were charged for them and their bill was wrong too. Each mistake she blamed on another member of staff, so unprofessional.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BryanA752
James S, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are pleased you liked the food, we apologise for the service you received, this is certainly not the levels of service we aim to offer and we have taken appropriate steps to ensure that this does not happen again and we thank you for your feedback.
If you give us the opportunity with a return visit we would hope to be able to show you our true hospitality that so many of our staff are praised for.
Croydon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

My wife and I were staying in self catering accommodation outside Bradford on Avon and after looking round the town for some where to eat on the first night, we settled on the Swan. It was partly "Hobson's Choice" as many other establishments seemed dark and gloomy while the Swan at least offered some daylight and a view over the car park !

Yes, as some other reviewers have commented, the service wasn't particularly quick - I think we waited about 30 minutes for main courses, having skipped starters, and the dining area was quiet. But to be fair there is a hugely varied menu and the food all seemed freshly cooked.

The staff are not as formal as the silver service table settings would lead you to expect, but neither are the prices ; however the staff were attentive and friendly.

The best recommendation we can give is that we returned the following night, when my wife was pleased to find that the mussels that had been "off" the previous night had been restocked - unlike some places where items can stay on the specials menu for days after they have sold out.

Day 1 I had lemon sole and my wife had chicken wrapped in bacon and stuffed with stilton ; day 2 my wife had moules mariniere and I had lamp rump. All four dishes were very enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
James S, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for your review and we are pleased you enjoyed your experience, certainly it is true that we are one of the few restaurants that is open 7 days a week for both lungh and dinner and during the summer we serve food from 12 noon until 9.00pm
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that on your next visit to the area you perhaps also consider staying with us!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

This review is long overdue, but please blame pressures of work and our busiest year ever!

We stayed at The Swan, Bradford on Avon, one rainy late August weekend to celebrate my birthday. We arrived mid morning, to find that our especially requested room - spacious, pleasantly appointed (supremely comfortable bed) and quietly situated, with a view over the bridge - already awaited us.

An entirely self-indulgent time followed: drinks and newspapers in the pleasingly rustic bar, wedged in the squashy leather club chairs, lunch in the restaurant, dinner ditto. The menu was good - varied and non-pretentious - with the emphasis on locally-sourced, good, honest cooking. Breakfast was equally pleasing; the sausages having wandered all of 40 yards, if that, from the butchers across the road in the 'New Quarter'.

I greatly enjoyed my birthday supper on the Saturday - bangers (yes, again!), mash, onion gravy - and we stayed as long as we could on the Sunday, being unwilling to tear ourselves away. Highly recommended and we'll be back!

My husband adds: 'We have previously twice enjoyed the hospitality of The Swan, but agree that, under the present ownership, the experience was even more relaxing.'

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the bridge are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
James S, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are pleased you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stopped here following a walk through Bradford on Avon. The Hotel is very nicely located and pleasant inside. I have put a 3 out of 5 as they hit the mark on the location and food quality. The real problems were the speed of serving our (and others) food. It took at least 1 hour to order and receive a club sandwich and a vegetarian dish. Also, the waitress (I am not sure if she was the co-owner, but looked like she was in charge) was quite rude to customers when they complained about the wait.

So overall, a nice pub/hotel, work on getting the food quicker and the service better.

Room Tip: Ask how long the wait will be before sitting down
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
James S, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we are pleased you enjoyed the food and have taken on board your comments on the speed of service, we have how taken on more chefs to cope with our quickly rising popularity and have also reviewed the service, it was our mistake not to realise that the staff member in question does not work well under pressure, this has been solved now.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again-
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

On arrival, on a cold and dark winter evening, the nice bar area with an open log fire was very inviting. Upon checking in, the gentleman was very welcoming and explained that the old building meant lots of uneven floors; so I was to watch out for sliding cups on surfaces. He also explained the technique to get the shower to work properly and provide hot water. The building is impressive and interesting, dating back to the 15th century in parts, I was informed, and certainly a refreshing change to some of the uninspiring business hotels I've stayed in lately.
My room, room 3, was right up at the top of the building. Unfortunatly this was a bit too far a stretch for the free wifi I was joyfully informed about, giving just a "very weak" signal; effectively useless! The room was okay, but there were areas that needed improvement. The paint needed touching up on the walls, the blinds didn't operate very well and the bathroom was a bit mouldy around the tiles/shower area. The view from the room was pretty much non-existent, too. The room wasn't particularly spacious; it would be a bit tight for two. The highlight of the room was the very comfortable bed; which ensured a good nights sleep, at least.
After dining out, the bar area was nice to return to for some late drinks.
When I went down for breakfast the next morning, none of the lights were on and it appeared they wern't ready for the guests. I searched for a light switch so that my colleague who was up before me didn't have to sit in the dark. I went for a walk around Bradford-on-Avon and found the surroundings to be most pleasant and the hotel ideally situated in the centre. When I returned I ordered my breakfast and had to wait 40 minutes for it to arrive! There were around 12 guests downstairs for breakfast at the same time and one even gave up waiting. The breakfast was okay when it arrived, but the toast had definitely gone cold by this point.

• Stayed January 2013
      Rooms
James S, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us and we apologise for taking so long to respond, while we try to ensure that we do everyhing possible to ensure our guests enjoy their stay, there are ocassions when we miss things and we thank you for highlighting some areas for improvement, they have been tackled and dealt with already, with re-painting being an ongoing programme!
We have had issues with the wifi, always a challenge in an old building, however we have since installer further boosters which understand have improved things.
We have not been able to investigate what happened with the breakfast service, this is certainly not our usual standard, however there was one unfortunate ocassion when our chef called in sick and it took some time to get another employee in to assist, perhaps you were unfortunate enough to have stayed at this time, we are also always looking at ways to improve our breakfasts and wil continue to develop the breakfast experience at the Hotel.
Thank you once again and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future - let us know and perhaps we can arrange to give you one of our larger superior or deluxe rooms which enjoy not only more space but also better views!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
BEST WESTERN Leigh Park Hotel
#2 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon
BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel
Premier Inn Trowbridge Hotel
Fieldways Hotel & Health Club

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!