“Sunday lunch”
Review of Swan Hotel

Swan Hotel
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Walked in to a empty pub on a Sunday evening during school holidays. The staff were very friendly and welcoming . Outside the menu advertised a carvery and to us that means a counter with meats and help yourself veg but it turned out you just ordered off menu. Food very average and not overly hot. We are staying here for a few days but wouldn't go again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
hotelsavvy007, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The Swan Hotel, we were of course sorry you missed out on our carvery which we do run every Sunday from 12 noon until 3.00pm, and you are right, we have a choice of three meats, carved in front of you, complimented by Fresh vegetables, Roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, stuffing, Honey roasted parsnips and accompanying sauces.
We also offer a selection of starters at £4.95 and desserts at just £3.95! With the main carvery available for £10.95, it is popular so we do recommend booking in advance. So if you are still in the area do come by (or book in advance preferably) and enjoy our sunday lunchtime carvery.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I'm writing this from a lobby table, bags at my side, because I am determined to brag on this wonderful hotel before returning to Southern California. For three days I've wandered this charming town, and even with other fine establishments nearby I am convinced The Swan is "THE" place to stay. The entire facility blends Old World charm with every modern amenity, and my room was both spacious and clean. (Bed, pillows, and bedding were comfortable and were like new.) I didn't watch TV, but saw they had a large selection of channels.

The Swan is ideally located, a short walk from every tourist site, and the food at the pub downstairs is very good — plus, the staff kept a fire going throughout the chilly day and evening. There is a standard, full English breakfast buffet in the morning, free to guests.

My stay was midweek, and on Tuesday I discovered a charming weekly tradition: in the pub were 20 locals holding Folk Music Night! Even though it's not my type of music, I felt I'd stepped 200 years back in time and enjoyed every minute. (For light sleepers, I noticed pub noise doesn't bleed into the rooms upstairs.)

The staff were friendly and knowledgable; I cannot imagine anyone not being impressed at their willingness to serve. Dominic helped me on several occasions.

In part, I made my decision to stay here based on Trip Advisor reviews, and I'm passing the favor on to you. I give The Swan five stars.

Room Tip: I was in Room One, overlooking the river and historic bridge.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We recently spent the night at the Swan hotel. We were given the most beautiful room with a very large bathroom and freestanding bath, we were not expecting that and it felt very luxurious. It’s a shame that the website tells you all the rooms are unique with different shapes and sizes but doesn’t give you any information on which to make your decision. Also, how could we book the same room again online?

The hotel itself is a beautiful old building and the staff were all great, very friendly and helpful.

The only downside of our stay was the Thai food. This part of the review is difficult to write as I understand that the owners spent many years living and working in Thailand and one of them is Thai so I don’t feel I am really in a position to criticise but all I can give is my experience.

We love Thai food, we’ve travelled to Thailand a few times, we’ve eaten in touristy places and non-touristy places and had the most amazing Thai food we can imagine. We’ve eaten Thai food in a restaurant with a Michelin star and many times in small local restaurants that we love. I also regularly cook Thai food myself. All this great food shares a perfect blend of flavours from stunning ingredients. Unfortunately, for us the food we had at the Swan was very disappointing. It was bland, or over salty, some of the curries, which were meant to contain coconut milk, only contained about two tablespoons of it. Next time I think we will choose the English food.

However, we will definitely return to the Swan as it is a beautiful Hotel in a stunning town and the staff were wonderful.

Room Tip: Telephone them first.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Estimate8
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We had a great stay at The Swan, the staff were exttremely friendly and helpful upon our arrival, the room (no 9) although on the smaller side was fine for our overnight stay. It was very nicely decorated and the bathroom very modern. The bottles of water and amble tea/coffee was very welcome. The location is very convenient and we were able to park free of charge in the hotel car park

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We had a very warm welcome at the hotel when we arrived and we were shown to our room...very friendly girl with red hair, sorry I didn't catch her name.
We stayed in room 12, which I have to say was huge and we were told that it was one of the best rooms in the hotel. Very comfortable bed, the mattress & pillows were lovely. The shower was divine, with a huge shower head! Lovely big tv and sofa. There were parts of the decor that was a bit tired & needed a touch up.
We had dinner in the restaurant downstairs. That evening the service was a bit slow, but the food was lovely. We had the rib eye steak which was cooked perfectly to our specification and I have to say that the onion rings were to die for. The alcohol was really expensive.
We had a good nights sleep and breakfast was lovely, with great service from the same girl who had welcomed us the day before.
We would happily stay again, although we feel that the full price of £140 is a bit much.
Many thanks once again for making our Valentines Weekend so special :-)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen F
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Great room....great food....good Choice of hot breakfast. Had salmon on the menu which was a bonus ....Service a bit slow but didn't really mind drinks very expensive ...get room 12 best room in the Hotel ....brilliant location .... A Welsh girl who work there sorry I forgot her name was absolutely lovely Very charming very helpful all in all I would stay there again

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Room 9 is small & windows won't open. Still a crack in the basin. Hotel is old but clean & tidy. Bed was comfortable & we slept really well. Plenty of tea & coffee in room. Staff/landlord are very friendly. Bit quiet though in restaurant on a Saturday night, like eating in a library & very drafty because of door to car park. Breakfast lovely.

• Stayed: February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
Best Western Leigh Park Hotel
Dukes Hotel
Dukes Hotel
#2 of 34 in Bath
Fieldways Hotel & Health Club

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!