“Good pies and horrible service”
Review of The Bear

The Bear
Price range: US$14 - US$25
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Modern English pub in centre of small market town, the pub is famous throughout the area for it's homemade steak pies,
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The pie we had, Steak and Stilton, was indeed very good. However it didn't pay off the horrible service. We tried to eat there twice before, because some of the people in the group were really keen on it, and every time the kitchen was closed,at 14h for lunch and then at 21h for dinner on a Saturday. We understood that, this is a small town. However when we finally got there on the right time, everything went wrong. The first of my friends to order was told there weren't any kind of steak pie only to see the rest of us being served exactly that later. When the last of us went to order, about 15 minutes later than the others, we were told that the chef was too busy and they were not taking any more others. Trying not to have dinner separetely, half of us were made to wait another 40 minutes to order. When we finally got the food, it was indeed very good, but we were frustraded and angry and the whole experience was not enjoyable.

2  Thank CarolCelta

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Don't ever waste your time coming here! We were treated like dogs! Absutelly terrifying service! It completelly ruined the night. We almost had to beg to be served any food. Do yourself a favour and spend your valuable money somewhere else.

1  Thank abreman
PubPies, Manager at The Bear, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

I think they must have gone to a different pub,

Reviewed 26 November 2013

They may well have the best pies in Wiltshire, but we never got to find out as they were closed at 1pm on Tuesday 26 nov. The web site says they should be open 11am onwards. More fool us (and the other 4 disappointed folk who were outside) as we had made trip to BoA specially to try pies. Should Have rung up . . . Shan't bother to go over there again

1  Thank Col D
PubPies, Manager at The Bear, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Sorry to learn they made a special trip and we where closed, we don't open at lunch time during the week and never have, I've checked our web site and it states that, so maybe they found an older site from previous owners, we also only serve our main larger pies in the evening,

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

5 friends and I visited on Sunday 20th for lunch. I had the beef roast and it was great. Massive with beautiful flavours. And a nice touch of a free salad bar. Very reasonably priced too.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

When deciding where we wanted to eat, my friend found that The Bear apparently has the best pie in Wiltshire! They DO!! We both had the chicken and mushroom (free salad bar) and a huge plate of potatoes and vegetables. It was delicious. We were visiting the area and didn't realise it was a pub, and I had my 18mo old son with me, so the barman did tell us they don't usually let kids in after 6:30pm but since it wasn't busy and since my son was asleep, they would allow it - he was kind about it though.