“Best meal ever!”

The Bear
Price range: US$14 - US$25
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Modern English pub in centre of small market town, the pub is famous throughout the area for it's homemade steak pies,
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Sunday beef roast was very tender and accompanied with delicious selection of steamed veggies and yorkshire pudding. The following night we had one of the home baked beef pies. Best pie I have ever had. Choice of pastries is offered. Be warned the serving sizes are very very big. I went for the junior size and still found it more than ample. Highly recommend this place.

1  Thank Mimrose67
PubPies, Manager at The Bear, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

It's really so nice when we get a good review, it seems many people just look for the negatives, I've passed your comments onto the staff involved, Many thanks,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This place was a complete surprise. From the outside it looked rather drab and not too inviting. Inside however the choice of drinks and food was excellent. For the drinks we were offered a little "taster" of the local ales before selecting the one we wanted. The pies were out of this world! The choice was excellent and the quality of the food was super. The size was huge too! In fact as value for money goes this palce is a real MUST.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for a night to break up the drive from Cornwall to London and it was a excellent surprise!
Our room was huge, very clean and beautifully decorated.
We went down stairs for our dinner, the pub was lovely and the young man behind the bar was so helpful and friendly.
The pies looked so good so I went for the steak and mushroom and my partner had the chicken and chorizo. They were both tasted amazing and where huge! I couldn't finish mine and my other half struggled. Worth every penny!
A bonus of staying there was that we got 20% off the food!!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Went on a quiet night a Tuesday, we were well recieved at the bar, chose our pies & waited about 25 -30 minutes didnt really notice the time,as we had a side salad buffet which as such is free while we were waiting. My wife had the chicken & mushroom with chips & i had the steak & stilton with mash potato , we both agreed were very good & boy such good portions, almost left some, but i like a challenge.All washed down with a very nice Dartmoor Ale.In all we arrived there at 6.30 & were back home by 8pm, with no dishes to do a nice way to start the evening.
We will return.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Came here for a sunday lunch after being recommended by the Tourist Info, and so glad we did.

The £10.99 roast menu offers a selection of meats and access to the salad bar. The salad bar is really tasty, with lots of different options, but leave yourself some room, because the mains portions are enormous! Neither of us could finish.

The roast beef was, no exaggeration, the best I've had. Tender, cooked to perfection and bountiful. My partner also really enjoyed his steak and stilton pie (which was huge despite being a 'junior' one).

I enjoyed the wide range of ciders, particularly the Lemon and Ginger one.

The pub itself is nicely and quite uniquely decorated, and looks fairly new. The garden courtyard was comfortable and attractive. The barman was very friendly and attentive - excellent service.

Would definitely return.