“Great menu choice!”

Price range: US$5 - US$29
Cuisines: British
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Boat House is situated overlooking the Bradford on Avon marina with excellent views of the Kennet and Avon Canal. Sourcing fresh local produce, the Boat House is the place for couples, friends and families to enjoy original canal-side dining with plenty of free parking and a separate children's play area. There's ample free parking and food is available 12-9pm daily. Choices include Salads, Steaks, Burgers, Baguettes, Sunday Roasts, Desserts and a Children's Menu is also available for younger guests. Catering for private events, special occasions and themed nights in our private function area, look out for Comedy Nights, Quizzes, Charity Events and more on our website.
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had our wedding reception here 23 years ago when it was first called the Gongoozler, over the years it has changed owners and names several times but we haven't been back in years. The owners of Widbrook Grange over the road have now bought this place and re-vamped it and after driving past on a regular basis we thought we would give it another try, so pleased we did!
A group of 6 friends met here for lunch and although the inside has been changed and nicely decorated we sat outside because it was a really hot sunny day. The outside area could do with a makeover as it was rather dull, maybe some flowers could brighten this area up??
Anyway, the menu choice is great! As a vegetarian I am always resigned to one or two options but I had so much choice on this menu I found it hard to decide ;-) In the end I chose the cod fillet with mussels and spicy tomato sauce and roasted new potatoes. My friends also chose baby spatchcock chicken and the seabass. As we were sat outside we couldn't open a tab and had to pay for each course of food, we wanted to split the bill into three but they could only take one card as payment instead of three, this was rather inconvenient especially as other establishments can do this.......
The service was a little slow but when the food was served it was hot and well presented. It also tasted great and I really enjoyed my meal as did my friends. Only 3 could manage a dessert of which there was a good choice again, these were lovely too ;-)
If The Boathouse could improve on service and get better payments arranged then this would be a fabulous place. I can fully recommend for the food alone.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Beautiful venue watched the swallows feeding as we ate our supper. Excellent service by Vicky. Great ambiance . We will be back !

1  Thank Julietboa17
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I had read some other reviews referring to the bad service and so was a bit nervous as I had organised a staff do for 43 people. They did have our orders in advance but even so they were prompt, efficient and couldn't have been more helpful. We did have 2 blips which is not surprising with such a large group, but they did their best to rectify the situation. Almost everyone thought the food was excellent the only exceptions being the lack of potatoes with 2 dishes and some of the people who had fishcakes did not enjoy them. (however the others did ) I had the pulled pork which was delicious. Most of the portions were large, in particular the ham ploughmans. The king prawn starter was very popular.

1  Thank willjo2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Had a fabulous lunch at the boathouse in the company of family. We seated ourselves at a table and were quickly met with menu's. Great waiting staff who were very attentive and delivered great service with perfect timing. Drinks were brought out moments after ordering, and food subsequently at a comfortable and expected pace. Food was delicious albeit very filling!! Loved the refurb, as the restaurant has a very pleasant atmosphere about it, with views of the canal boats out the large windows. Previous reviews fault the restaurant, but based on my visit I will be sure to return again in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The food was awesome first I had the tortillas which were very original and worked so well. Then I had the burger which was easily one of the best I have had. Followed by the best brownies.
Definitely go again.