“One of my favourite places”
Review of The Castle Inn

The Castle Inn
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I recently had my second stay at the Castle Inn and can say this time was as good as the last.

I was greeted by Owen the assistant manager who was friendly, efficient and attentive as were all the staff. Tori the manager made a point of welcoming me back and making me feel valued. The food in the busy restaurant was excellent and the atmosphere welcoming and relaxed. The breakfast service equaled this and as the morning wore on became a meeting venue for the lovely ladies of the town.

The large room was spotlessly clean and there was attention to detail in the choice of loose leaf tea and locally produced gift bag of mini flapjacks.

As a female traveler who often stays in anonymous hotels this lovely listed building, small but beautifully imperfect is a much welcome breath of fresh air.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Caroline W

Reviewed 7 July 2014

"Fancy a trip to the castle?" seems to have become one of my most frequently used phrases, and rest assured that I would not bandy such words lightly! Having initially been a pub of questionable reputation, the place had a real turn around a few years ago and has not looked back since (I'm aware that it wouldn't be capable of doing that anyway, as it is in fact an inanimate object and so looking back would be a hard task). The drinks and food are of an excellent standard, with a wide choice in each, however the real stand out quality is the atmosphere. While other pubs leave a sense of slight unease and hostility, the castle can claim to have neither of these attributes. Staff and patrons alike are friendly and chatty, and so it never feels a daunting or threatening place to go to. I've never had the pleasure of staying the night, although I'm sure that it's equally impressive, but I can say from experience that it's the best pub around.

Room Tip: Avoid room 13- I've heard occupants are rather unlucky
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Have just spent a night at the Castle inn celebrating my parents 50th wedding anniversary, we had three of the four rooms upstairs and they were all well furnished, spacious and had great bathrooms. The pub is really nice, with a great atmosphere and the food was well cooked, tasty and plentiful, breakfast the next morning was equally good. The staff were friendly, helpful and attentive.
A great place for us to have enjoyed the celebration.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at the Castle. the staff were most friendly & efficient & breakfast was very good. The bedroom was good & the bathroom was enormous with a brilliant shower. Our only disappointment was we couldn't find the TV channels on the remote so made do with the radio. We are quite old so a younger person could probably have sorted it quite easily. As we were quite late turning in we didn't bother to ask the staff as we only listened for a short while but I'm sure they would have happily shown us how to work the remote if we had asked. A girl brought an ironing board to the room when we requested. We managed to get the last remaining parking space on the two occasions we arrived at the pub.
Will certainly stay there again when in the area.

Room Tip: We had room No:1. Very please with it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed at the Castle Inn for one night during the week. All in all, it was a fabulous experience. The staff were super-friendly and the room (like the inn downstairs) was wonderfully furnished; solid oak desk, exquisite and modern bathroom/shower facilities and bedside cabinets that are just an up-ended log. The sash-windows and dual-aspect were a characterful bonus. I wouldn't normally complain about this, but the TV was a little undersized for 2014 (the World Cup was on). In the evening, I had one of their sandwiches (plenty big enough, and I eat lots!) and a pint of a local brew.

The bed was very comfortable indeed. I didn't at all mind that they were only able to offer a "continental breakfast" early in the morning. The freshly squeezed OJ was lovely. I might have liked colder milk in my muesli, but being very English, I didn't want to say anything.

My gripes are very minor ones, and the Castle Inn is everything a pub should be. Decent food and drink, courteous staff and a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This small inn is a lovely spot in a great town. The Inn staff are warm and welcoming, even offering to help us carry our bags up the stairs. The rooms are spacious and well equiped. The food in the restaurant is well worth the stay on its own, and both dinner and breakfast were lovely meals. The town itself is very atmospheric, and we chose to stay here on the way to Bath. It is a good option if you like a quiet spot and to be away from the tourist traps.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Iristraveller
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Enjoyed our stay at this great old building. Great bathroom, large tub perfect for a nice relaxing soak, but nice modern shower also. Staff was excellent, very helpful. Had great breakfast and dinner on site, both very nice. They had gluten free bread available, so I could enjoy poached eggs over toast with a freshly made hollandaise, what a treat! The pub area below is noisy but quiets down by 11:00 PM.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford-on-Avon
Widbrook Grange
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Dukes Hotel
Dukes Hotel
#2 of 34 in Bath

Been to The Castle Inn? Share your experiences!