“Celebration stay”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Corsham
Reading, United Kingdom
“Celebration stay”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband acquired a great deal of two nights at the Hotel with dinner and dinner at thy e Pear Tree Inn. It seemed too good to be true.

The hotel looked full of charm from the outside and the receptionist was charming and helpful. Our room took me by surprise as it had a lovely four poster bed that needed a step to get to it. The room was large and had the essentials which was all we needed. Sadly the curtains did not quite come together but it did not bother us too much. We knew the hotel had recently been acquired by Marco and is in the process of being decorated.

Dinner that evening was delightful, the staff were very attentive and the food amazing and exquisitely presented. That evening we left very satisfied and retired. Breakfast the following day was lovely too. Coffee was lovely too and delivered in abundance if needed.

All in all our stay was lovely, peaceful and restful and I look forward, even with incurable cancer, to enjoy the delights again at the hotel. Well done Marco.

Room Tip: There is a newly built block away from the main hotel, a short walk away, and has a lift so we are t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My boyfriend and I are another couple who bought the LivingSocial deal and, having read the reviews before we went, were very apprehensive about our stay. However, we visited this weekend and were pleasantly surprised with Rudloe Hall and thoroughly enjoyed our meal at The Pear Tree Inn.

Our room was in the separate newer building which is no more than a 30 second stroll down a gravel path (which passes a picturesque outdoor chess set). Our room was neutrally decorated, clean and comfortable with a small balcony that overlooked the trees. Our only disappointment was the room wasn't hoovered when cleaned and the cloths used for cleaning the bathroom left in our sink - issues easily fixed if they took a bit more care and got someone to check the cleaning after it was done.

The pool table and cards available in the bar made for an enjoyable pre-dinner drink and it is a nice touch that they come and take you into the dining room. It is incredibly bright in the bar and not conducive to a relaxing drink before dinner if that's what you're looking for. It would be perfect if they made the first part of the bar into a lounge, which you could also use to sit in during the day. Our food was tasty and the service very good - we did have to wait a long time for our food (we actually left without having our deserts) but still enjoyed our meal. Breakfast was also good, but it feels very cheap to ask for a £4 supplement for a Full English.

Our dinner at The Pear Tree Inn was absolutely brilliant from the decor - unique with lots of space between you and the other diners - to the delicious food. If I lived nearer I would go at least once a week!

Overall, Rudloe Hall do have some small issues they need to work out which, had we paid full price would have left us feeling disappointed. However we felt this deal was good value for money and would quite happily go back if these little things were addressed. It's well worth taking a camera and taking a few shots of the picturesque house, grounds and surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: Room 212 in the newer block was quiet and enjoys a small balcony and nice view.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I'll be constructive: We stayed using the living social deal too and Found many of the same disappointments as others. The place is odd. Beautiful on the outside, uncomfortable and eclectic on the inside.

HELPFUL NOTES: there are a number of semi nude women in photo's / artwork as you enter the builing. Im sure they wont be to everyones taste.

If you arrive at night bring a torch. If in the treetops building there is a steep external staircase covered in wet leaves and no lighting.
(Same for the Pear Tree- no external lighting)
Dont expect an evening in the bar after diner; it was son unwelcoming void of nice armchairs or warming fires. Instead filled with tacky americana and metal stools.
Breakfast was inconsistent- you pay extra for a cooked emglish breakfast and theres no continental option. They use the cheap thin bread which you can have served with either 1 sausage or a slice of bacon. I found it all poor quality compared to the evening meal. Juices were equally bad. My advice is to travel into Bath for breakfast you will be spolied for choice.

We have friends in the area and were hoping to find a gem but I dont think we'll be going back to stay at Rudloe. Its a shame; it could be something special.

• Stayed November 2013

Travellers are raving about these Corsham hotels

Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We have just come back from a two day Living Social break at Rudloe Hall and were pleasantly surprised. In view of the many negative reviews we tried very hard to cancel our booking to no avail. We approached the break with an open mind. We can only speak from experience and have no complaints. Upon arrival we were greeted by an efficient receptionist (no signs of vest top) and checked in without problem. OK the decor in our second floor bedroom was tired, stained carpet with frayed edges, but we found it quirky with it's own charm, warm, clean linen, roll top bath, copious hot wateer, hand painted washbasin in bedroom as well as another washbasin in separate WC. The evening meal was well cooked, quality products and very filling. Bar area is bizarre as previously mentioned. Room overtaken with gaming tables etc. which was not conducive to sitting comfortably to have drink. Both breakfasts were more than adequate. The overload of photographs seemed strange, but if you accumulate loads of photographs, then to create the White Wall of Wiltshire is pretty intuitive. Our experience at the Pear Tree was equally impressive. The menu was slightly different from Rudloe, but the meal and ambience was wonderful. Staff couldn't have been nicer, especially Zara. All in all we wonder if we were just lucky as we expected an awful experience but came away satisfied. Well done and many thanks to all the staff at Rudloe and Pear Tree.

1 Thank CambridgeshirePetcar
Oxford
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I do not know why people had moaned about this social living deal. We found the food and staff in Radloe hall and The Pear Tree polite and helpfull. The food in both places was good and nicely served.Yes the decor is a little faded, but the four poster bed was really comfortable. The only complaint I would have would be the is not a plug near a socket and us ladies do need to use hair dryers and hot brushes. My husband and I would stay again

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Knowing our anniversay was coming up i was looking for an exceptional hotel to surprise my girlfriend with. Having booked this hotel for its phenomenal superior room advertised on its website, complete with roll top bath, four poster bed and roof top terrace. I was sure I would win myself some brownie points. However, I was sorely disappointed to discover on arrival that the room I had booked and even made special requirements for (extra brownie points) had been double booked and the room was no longer available. This was not mentioned to me at all when checking in, it was only upon entering the room we had been allocated that I discovered their error. I spoke with the hotel manager and explained what I had booked and what I was expecting, but unfortunately, the only thing I was compensated with was a discount on food. The manager was less than helpful considering this was his error and after I explained that it was the room I had booked for and not tge food, he then had the audacity to suggest I look for another hotel! I cannot begin to explain my frustration, and the lack of consideration from the hotel, to not even make the effort and add the special requirements of champange and rose petals to the replacement room. So unfortunately, our romantic break I had book especially for our anniversary had turned bitter to say the least and was far from special.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We have just come back from a weekend away with a living social deal, which I have to say after reading some reviews I was very worried about. I need not have been. The room very large, very clean (but no bath) but a large shower unit. What other reviewers were saying about it being a 'long walk' from the treetops where we stayed to the main house was simply not true, it would take a minute if that. The food was good not amazing but good three choices for starters, mains and puddings in the hotel restaurant and around 7 different choices for breakfast, service was very good and very helpful, a staff member called Zara was there to help out whenever and wherever she could. We found all staff there to be professional and certainly did not treat us any differently being on a 'deal'. The main hotel interior decoration is rather bizarre but you're never short of something to talk about as there are so many interesting pictures etc to discuss.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
Guyers House Hotel
Lucknam Park
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Bailbrook House Hotel

Been to Rudloe Arms? Share your experiences!