“We'll be back when the weather is nicer !!!”
Review of Rudloe Arms

Rudloe Arms
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Corsham
Reviewed 12 February 2014

After reading all the reviews on here I was worried to say the least about our upcoming break on the Living Social Deal ! We chose to stay in the annexe the room was bright and clean but just needed a bit of updating little things like net curtain pole need to be fixed and the curtains were shabby. I think we have been spoilt on other B&B stays as there were no little extras just the basics. We had a lovely meal on both nights of our stay ( must recommend the Chilean Merlot !!!), We loved the pear-tree inn the men even more because they had real ale !!! I agree that breakfast was a little basic but there was plenty of choice with the hot food I ask for a couple of extras and they were fine about this. The Rudloe is set in a beautiful area with lots of places to explore I can recommend Lacock a prettty step back in time village ! Over all the staff were great and we had a lovely time.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Held my BIG recent Birthday here in their function room, it couldnt have been better ! All of the staff concerned were excellent both before the event and during. Helen in Events and both of the two Davids were very helpful and made the event run very smoothly. Alot of my party guests stayed at the hotel and so during the afternoon we made full use of the large screen TV in the bar area to watch the England Rugby game which kicked the celebrations off !
This hotel has charm, charisma and is strikingly different to the "run of the mill" average hotel. Personally i love it and cannot fault it for a party or event destination. Well done to the whole team !!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ZoeWiltshire
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We did wonder if the deal we were offered through 'Living Social' was too good to be true; 2 nights in a Marco Pierre White establishment on a DBB rate for £200... alas it was.

Upon driving up to an impressive building, and after viewing the beautiful rooms on the website, we couldn't wait to settle in.... After a walk along an extremely shabby landing to our room, imagine our dismay when we turned the key and entered a room that instantly reminded me of an only fools and horses episode, the jolly boys outing to Margate, where the accommodation was somewhat grim! A room that was definitely not pictured on the Rudloe Arms website! Small room with drab bedding, old fashioned pictures on the wall, damp patch on the bathroom ceiling....

The dinner would make up for the lacklustre room surely? Our dietary requirements (one nut allergy, one gluten intolerant) were met well and the duty manager (we assume) explained the menu and foods we should avoid. The dinner was pleasant, the restaurant dark but lots of pictures to look at, and quite out of character for a restaurant, a local radio playing in the background.

Breakfast was a huge disappointment on both mornings. Very basic offering of juices, cereal and fruit, on display on a catering trolley outside the restaurant. My partner fancied kippers, he hadn't banked on a minnow! So on the second morning he asked for 3, to the utter disbelief of our waitress, who soon returned from the kitchen advising that chef said this would cost an extra £12.50. We declined.

After a lovely day in Bath we returned for a pre-supper nap; this wasn't to be due to a party in the bar, our room was directly above. Also a delay in getting into the room as the receptionist we had handed the key to when we left in the morning, denied that we had given it to her and she did not have it. Imagine her surprise when it was found, still behind the desk.

After a nice meal at the Pear Tree we returned to find absolutely no parking spaces. After a 10 minute ponder about what we were going to do, thankfully someone left. Off to bed to listen to the party in the bar beneath.

By Sunday morning we couldn't wait to leave. Surely it couldn't get worse, we thought, after the kipper rip-off... It could. At checkout I asked the receptionist for the detail of our extras incurred. She seemed somewhat inconvenienced by this as though it was strange I wanted to see the bill before I paid. Deciding to pay by cash, I realised I was 5 pence short. When asking if she could let me off said 5 pence I was told 'no'. A group of guests, upon overhearing this, immediately came to our rescue and offered me the outstanding amount... Commenting to the receptionist that this was not very accommodating, to which she replied 'it's not my decision to make'. Utterly ridiculous customer service. 5p!!!!!!!!!!!

To conclude, we wonder if the lack of service and courtesy shown by receptionist, along with sub standard room was due to us being part of a deal? We shan't be booking another deal any time soon, that's for sure!!!

Room Tip: Room 3, located above the bar, therefore somewhat noisy with lingering cooking smells, one to avoid!
4  Thank Ali W
Reviewed 3 February 2014

we booked this on a voucher so was ok value for £100 per night with dinner. We had an 'executive' room in the annexe which was nice and big and light with 2 sofas but bathroom was tiny with only a shower. Shower was great, nice and strong pressure and room was quiet as hotel didn't seem full. a kettle is provided and a hairdryer. Tiny TV and take your own glasses if you want to have a drink in the room. Dinner was ok but just seem to have strange choices for dinner more like bar food than a restaurant. I had beef bourginon which was ok but meat was in one lump not chopped up which seemed strange, it came with red cabbage and mash which was fine. Lemon sorbet afterwards was gloppy and unlike any sorbet I've ever had. Had a £22 bottle of Merlot which was lovely and the bar was ok afterwards, free pool or table football but no real ale only cider, guiness or lager on tap - tiny bar so impressed they had 3 things on tap! Bar man was lovely and so was the head waiter, really professional and helpful. Breakfast was pretty dismal cardboard cereals, sliced bread and a full English was £4 extra. The great service didn't swing the whole experience for me and wouldn't return. Marco must aim for a quirky hotel and food rather than top class food.

Room Tip: room 311 is in the annex on the first floor with a shower and 2 sofas but no tables to have a drink...
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I arrived after a 4 hour drive but when I got to the location I was looking for signs saying Rudloe Hall Hotel. I saw signs saying Rudloe Arms and drove on, only after asking a local did I arrive at the Hall ? I was accommodated in the tree top annex. The room layout is very good, but a little on the cold side. For the size of the room the TV was rather small but watchable. Breakfast was a little confusing with fruit juice and cereals located the hallway as was the reception desk just stuck in the corner? Not a bad experience thou...

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Decided for the 1st time ever to go away for Christmas, even invited the parents in law. We booked for three nights from Christmas Eve to the 28th. Having spent a couple of hours Christmas eve morning re felting my shed roof in the rain, hail and gales it was a relef to arrive at the Rudloe mid afternoon and meet some very friendly staff who supplied me with a Bloody Mary which went down very well.
The four of us enjoyed a great meal in the evening even my father in law who is quite fussy. Christmas day produced a stirling effort by the staff who served 150 meals in two sittings with very few issues. Very impressive. Had another good meal on boxing day.
Great staff, good atmosphere and good food. Well done to all involved. 84% worth a vist

Room Tip: Rooms in the new block are very good
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

1st impressions of the hotel, both externally and ground floor interior were extremely good. The receptionist was very welcoming and helpful. Both the bar area and dining rooms are very quirky and modern without feeling clinical.
We had to be transferred from Marco Pierre White's other hotel, The Pear Tree, as the management had decided to close the hotel on a Sunday and Monday after we had booked our deal, therefore we were upgraded to a 'deluxe' room. However, we were left more than a little disappointed by the decor and the general upkeep of the room. It was very old fashioned and looked like it hadn't been decorated since the hotel 1st opened. There were damp patches on the ceiling both in the bedroom and in the bathroom. The curtains did not close properly and would only stay closed after my partner climbed onto the windowsill and re-arranged them. They also had what looked to be bleach stains on them. The room had a generally dusty feel and is in desperate need of a face lift. Even the kettle looked like it was from the 1970's, from the colour down to the amount of limescale inside. The light in the room wasn't the greatest either with just 3 lamps to light the whole room...not ideal for a girl trying to get ready in the middle of winter!! VERY, VERY UNDERWHELMED.
The food, although simple and not what we were expecting from the menu, was extremely tasty and filing. No complaints here. The cream tea is definitely worth a try.
All the staff are very friendly and accommodating and nothing we asked them seemed to be too much trouble.
It seems that all the money and effort has been spent on the communal areas and the bedrooms have been overlooked.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nathan E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
Guyers House Hotel
Lucknam Park
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne
The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club

Been to Rudloe Arms? Share your experiences!