“Disappointing”
Review of Rudloe Arms

Rudloe Arms
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Corsham
Reviewed 29 March 2014

A weekend away without children is a rare treat. The living Social Deal represented what I thought was good value. How very wrong I was.
Food was of a very poor standard.
Hotel room was of a lower standard than a Premiere Inn.
I ask myself if Marco eats the food, drinks the average, over- priced wines and sleeps in the very uncomfortable beds.
Awful from start to finish and I won't be back.
If mad enough to go, drink plenty of water as EVERYTHING is heavily over salted.

Room Tip: Just don't go
3  Thank Cheekybisum
Write a ReviewReviews (1,124)

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

A promising start, the Hotel and grounds look great with some quirky decor that I liked although the MPW ego trip on the stairs was funny verging on ridiculous.

We booked a traditional room in the main building which knew wouldn't be modern but it felt tired and lack luster resemblant of a 1980s BnB; it really need a good deep clean and felt summarised by a label/sticker remnants covering a bit of a picture, a little effort to correct it but they couldn't be bothered!!

There was also evidence of damp (but it is an old building); cobwebs throughout the room; the bathroom had a lot of mouldy grouting and grotty surfaces; there are handles missing from draws and only one hanger in the wardrobe among other niggles which all mount up to not worth the price even on a living social deal.

The living social gourmet deal featured meagre pub/cafe grub. She had the potted duck to start which was bland except for the over salting then a 'Butchers steak' which was an extra £6. I had potted fish to start, which was ok then x2 slices of reformed Sandwich Ham, x2 eggs and McCains chips cooked three times.

If this was sold as a posh BnB it would be average but as MPW is willing to call this Gourmet and charge over £4 for water it is one to avoid, there are many better quality places to eat and cheaper better quality accommodation in the area.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank playton
Reviewed 28 March 2014

With a grand name and the Marco Pierre WHite restaurant you might expect something classy. However, the huge bedrooms - although well-equipped - are pretty spartan and soulless, and the breakfast was distinctly ordinary.

I'm no fan of MPW - since he advocated the use of stock cubes over meat juices (surely he doesn't need Knorr's money?) and there are Michelin Man models in the Reception and Bar which apparently refer to a spat between him and the gastronomic guide. There's lots of pictures of the 'great man and the Reception area has many nude female photographs if that floats your boat.

The bar was well-stocked and staffed, but the overall impression was disappointing, although the cost was not excessive.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kenarf
Reviewed 25 March 2014

my wife and myself have just returned home from a break at the rudloe hall hotel , we had booked a livingsocial deal including a dinner at the hotel and a dinner at the pear tree inn. we stayed in the annex and wow what a room very clean and modern with some nice features, a very comfortable bed and although the tv was small it was adequate for our stay. the room was always very warm. we both had the English breakfast on both mornings and it was very good. the highlight was our dinner I had a mackerel starter which was very good my main (sea bream) was excellent, my wife had the soup (leak and potato) which was quite a large portion, her main was the same as mine, we added a portion of peas at £2.50, but the meal would have been enough for us without anything extra, we were very full after dinner so did not make use of the bar afterwards, we did have a drink in the bar prior to eating and I agree with earlier reviewers that the layout is very quirky, perhaps a few less table football/pool tables would be better, especially the one put directly in front of a very attractive fireplace, perhaps a compromise Marco move out one table football table and show off the fireplace ? all the staff we dealt with were very efficient and friendly. I will review the pair tree meal separately but we were very please there as well. I know there are limits to the livingsocial deal but if you can accept that the value is very good . we will return hopefully soon. we ventured into Bath during our stay we have been before but parking can be difficult so we used the local bus service which was very good and convenient the stop being right outside the hotel. thanks to Marco and his staff for an excellent stay.

Room Tip: 211 in annex was our room and we will ask for it next time.
Reviewed 24 March 2014

As many have , read previous reviews and always try to take a balanced view. Our room in the main building was adequate but far from spotless , needed a good spring clean , bed very comfortable , yes tv is small and too far from the bed.Usual tea, coffee , toiletries in the room . Staff were excellent and food is good but menu very limited,have not worked out why this is. Breakfast was very good of what was available .On the second night we ate at the Pear Tree as part of the deal , equally as limited menu for the deal . It was quite busy ( they would have known that in advance)service not as good in fact say no one seemed to grab hold of who was doing what and what was going on . There were a few unhappy customers around us with poor service and food , for us the food was actually very good , also note wine was priced very sensibly .Summed up as probably very good value for money on the living social deal.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Golf95
Reviewed 23 March 2014

So, we read the reviews, some good, some not so good but the Living Social deal was extremely good value and we needed to get away from a while so we took a chance. On arrival, I was very pleased with my choice, lovely looking building, and the décor actually matched the photographs. This is my chance to high 5 the bar manager and reception staff - the rest was down hill from there - in short - go somewhere else. The room was exactly to my liking, very old fashioned, with a roll top bath in the bedroom - lovely. BUT, the television was the size of a small computer screen and if we had any intention of watching it we would have had to peep between the bars of the bed. Also, it was freezing cold, not very clean and the kettle and bedside lamp took turns to click on and off all night - bizarre. On first glance, I loved the bar area, really quirky with lots of paraphernalia to look at, but it's all wrong - there are 3 authentic looking old fashioned football tables, two pool tables and a gorgeous jukebox but it looks as though someone has won the lottery, brought the lot and couldn't decide where to put it all. If you wanted to play darts you would have to throw over the heads of the people playing pool and if there were a group of you, there would be no room to sit together. The restaurant had a choice of 3 dishes, but you had to pay extra for steak - really ???? surely Lidls or Aldi could have helped out here. No vegetarian option, unless you specifically ask and the waitress (full of apologies) had to go away and find out what it was, (risotto) My starter was fine but my husband's pate was so salty he couldn't finish it. His main course liver & bacon was very dry. We got talking to two other couples, who both felt the same as us, it was like being in a quirky, Harry Potter set, as long as your eyesight is good you'll like it. The next morning I was unwell and had to go home, not blaming the food at all, just needed my own bed BUT it would have been nice if the receptionist had been a bit more attentive and perhaps asked "WHY" we wee booking out a day earlier than booked. Mr Pierre White - you need to sort your chain before you put it to your name.

Room Tip: I've no idea - we spoke to 2 other couples who both felt the same their rooms. We all accept th...
4  Thank Lindylou048
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We decided to have a getaway visit to Bath as I had never been and needed something fun to look forward to. After spending too many hours looking through Luxury stays at hotels, I came across Rudloe Hotel which looked exactly what I was looking for.

Arrived at the hotel late afternoon, the grounds & building were a delight to see in the Spring sunshine.

On arrival, we were greeted by a very nice young lady at reception who covered all the necessary check in details, arranged for us to have a table for dinner that night and directed us to our room.

The room was nice, had a lovely 4-poster bed which was very comfortable. Our room over looked beautiful grounds. If I could change one thing or give constructive criticism . . The TV in the room was tiny and I think in a place of this standard they could splash out on a decent mounted screen on the wall.

After a hot shower and freshen up, we went down to the bar and games room which was brilliant. Played a couple of games of pool (which was free) and chatted to the barman (whom is a legend & has the best moustache ever!) Went on for dinner which was impressive and the staff attentiveness spot on.

A comfortable nights sleep followed and opened the curtains the following morning to gleaming sunshine flooding through the windows. A good choice of breakfast options available and we opted for the full English. Once again, food was very good and staff lovely.

Checked out and went for a walk around the grounds . . Certainly the best weekend for weather that we have had so far this year.

On our way back towards the M4, we stumbles across Castle Coombe not far from Rudloe and spent a magical few hours in one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen!

I don't think this little getaway could have been any better . .

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danni G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
1 mi away
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne
5 mi away
Bailbrook House Hotel

Been to Rudloe Arms? Share your experiences!