Rudloe Arms
Bear Hotel(Chippenham)
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
US$287
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,178 results
All reviewsthe main housenew buildingquirky hoteldavid baileyguinea fowlroll top bathkippersweekend breakfood was lovelycourse dinnerbeautiful groundstwo night stayartworkphotographsgeesequirkinessvictorian
Reviewed 13 April 2014

First impressions were excellent; beautiful exterior, lovely gardens and antiquated entrance, with interestingly decorated public rooms.
Unfortunately there is no lift (in the old house), so if like me, you have recently had a hip operation, be prepared for 3 flights of incredibly steep steps if you are put into the attic rooms and a reluctance to move your room even if a spare is available.
Avoid room 11 at all costs. Go home if that is what you are allocated, you will thank me for this advice... it is filthy dirty,hasn't had any maintenance for decades, beyond tatty, ripped carpets, mould on the walls, furniture from someone's garage (or maybe the charity shop), no shower and an old bath with a plastic shower hose squeezed into a corner in your bedroom!!! I have stayed in youth hostels and basic motels that are in better condition.
Two chipped glasses and a filthy wine glass used in the bar area and absolutely not Michelin star food. No better than your local pub. On a plus, whilst the staff are constantly in a total state of chaos (forgetting and mixing up nearly every order), they were extremely pleasant and one particular chap, tried very hard to help recover the situation by getting us moved to another room the following day. The staff are very overworked - acting as reception, bar, housekeeping, maintenance and waiting - no wonder they cant remember where they should be or what they should be doing next.
Having had high hopes for this mini break, we came away almost laughing because it resembled Fawlty Towers so closely. If you want a good laugh, go and enjoy. If you would rather a lovely weekend away, go anywhere else... there are some great Travel Lodges around and the food and accommodation will be superior. Marco - call Alex Polizzi from THF - she can help you save your hotel before it becomes the laughing stock of the hotel world and ruins your brand.
PLEASE PLEASE look at our photos so you know that we are not making any of this up!!!

2  Thank Lovestravelandtrips
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have just returned from a two night break at Rudloe Hall and to be honest with you I checked out reviews on this site and was very sceptical before the trip commenced. However, I must say that myself and my mum thoroughly enjoyed it. We stayed in the annex, room 311 (double bed) which was more than adequate, with two sofas, and yes a small tv but that was not a priority in our eyes. The bed was comfy, room clean and bathroom all you need. Staff were great and could not do more for us. Any queries were dealt with efficiently and politely. Food, as far as we were concerned was very tasty and generous in portion. For the amount paid for this deal I would say it is well worth every penny and any negative reviews I read earlier then all I can say is that expectations for the price way over exceeded. I would definitely recommend this hotel. A lovely break thoroughly enjoyed!!

Room Tip: Annex room 311 double room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My better half booked this weekend break and I have to say we had a great two days. Very quirky interior decor which seemed to had been thrown in there but made for interesting conversations and jokes. The nude ladies black and white photos that adorned the entrance were very arty in their composition but maybe not for a hotel lobby. Numerous photos of MPW adorned the staircase and bar which was a little OTT but he is a tad eccentric!
Our room was in the annex building and was very nice indeed. Large room with two sofas, small side room with tea/coffee facility and very small wardrobe. TV was very small for such a large room but we were not there watch films.
We had dinner here for the first night then at the Pear Tree on the second. Menus were a little low on choice and very similar at both venues. Food we thought was excellent at both and service was also commendable with all staff wanting to engage in conversation. The "glug glug" fish water jugs made us chuckle every time we poured a glass!
I have read many reviews which paint a very poor picture of this place but I disagree with them as We had a great weekend!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark E
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This beautiful hotel was recently the venue for our daughters wedding.The hall itself is stunning with beautiful views over Bath.The staff where amazing nothing was too much trouble,they where helpful,friendly and professional.David you and your team are fabulous.Our room was clean and very big.The food was of a very high standard and the best sausages I have tasted.Thank you to everyone who made our weekend perfect.

Room Tip: We had a suite and would highly recommend them.Spacious with plenty of seating,hanging space etc
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jayne913
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I love this hotel. There are two parts: the gorgeous old hotel with fabulous history (including as a WW2 RAF Officers mess I believe) and the bright, modern annex with all mod-cons; both use the lovely reception and dining areas. Marco Pierre White and his team have introduced more quirky charm (and higher quality) to the lovely old place: it is getting even better :-). The grounds are lovely too - make time to have a wander - even a game of croquet. A really good bunch of people run this hotel, they made me feel like a particularly special guest ... then I realised that they made us all feel like particularly special guests.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both - for me the old hotel is the best - but the new annex is more "chain".
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo