“Not sure what to say”
Review of Rudloe Arms

Rudloe Arms
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Corsham
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed at rudloe last week really enjoyed it a real mix an American style diner bar area pool tables ,bar billiards darts,and a big screen TV ,it was very busy the night l stayed bar food service a bit slow ,but the staff very good.
The room l was given wow !! 313 great value for money but no glasses in bathroom had to use coffee mugs.
Got the makings of a great country hotel with a few tweeks,would not hesitate to stay again

Room Tip: 313 a great suite but a little road noise
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Rudloe Arms

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We live near to this place and thought we would go for an early dinner. The building was nicely dressed with hanging baskets but not so nice was the plastic (used) "dog poo bag" by the front door - yuk!
The decor is at best quirky. The bar is full of pool and football tables (unused), a large TV (with sound turned up) and there is no adequate seating. Despite being a hotel there is no lounge area. We asked for a table for two and were told the restaurant was full but we could eat in the bar. We sat on metal stools at a very low table. Eventually we were asked if we would like drinks (no cranberry, elderflower or other interesting juices) and these took over 10 minutes to arrive despite us being seated not 3 metres from the bar. We had to ask to place a food order. Our haddock and chips when they arrived were quite nice but far too salty. The staff did the bear minimum in terms of service.
While my husband paid the bill (which took another 10 minutes!), I wandered around. There was a rather pretty room laid for breakfast which I wondered why they were not using for dinner guests.
The Rudloe Arms is very disappointing. It has no atmosphere and they seem to positively discourage guests from lingering in the bar area due to the seating and games tables. We will not return!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here for a few days last week. From start to finish the experience was superb. We had a fabulous, spacious and well equipped room in the annex (room 323).

The menu was a little limited, but the food & service were brilliant. The Pear Tree was also pleasant, though it would have been nicer to be able to eat at the hotel both evenings. They happily accommodated my requests for lactose free vegetarian meals in both places.

I was wary of staying having seen the negative reviews. I'm so glad I went anyway as the staff were wonderful and we really made use of the grounds and games room.

It might be good to have a few less games tables and more seating in one half of the bar. Also, the radio in the restaurant was a little obtrusive & out of keeping with the rest of the hotel.

We would like to thank all the staff, especially the guy with the wonderful waxed moustache, who made our stay so enjoyable.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank clairestarsalter
Reviewed 13 April 2014

First impressions were excellent; beautiful exterior, lovely gardens and antiquated entrance, with interestingly decorated public rooms.
Unfortunately there is no lift (in the old house), so if like me, you have recently had a hip operation, be prepared for 3 flights of incredibly steep steps if you are put into the attic rooms and a reluctance to move your room even if a spare is available.
Avoid room 11 at all costs. Go home if that is what you are allocated, you will thank me for this advice... it is filthy dirty,hasn't had any maintenance for decades, beyond tatty, ripped carpets, mould on the walls, furniture from someone's garage (or maybe the charity shop), no shower and an old bath with a plastic shower hose squeezed into a corner in your bedroom!!! I have stayed in youth hostels and basic motels that are in better condition.
Two chipped glasses and a filthy wine glass used in the bar area and absolutely not Michelin star food. No better than your local pub. On a plus, whilst the staff are constantly in a total state of chaos (forgetting and mixing up nearly every order), they were extremely pleasant and one particular chap, tried very hard to help recover the situation by getting us moved to another room the following day. The staff are very overworked - acting as reception, bar, housekeeping, maintenance and waiting - no wonder they cant remember where they should be or what they should be doing next.
Having had high hopes for this mini break, we came away almost laughing because it resembled Fawlty Towers so closely. If you want a good laugh, go and enjoy. If you would rather a lovely weekend away, go anywhere else... there are some great Travel Lodges around and the food and accommodation will be superior. Marco - call Alex Polizzi from THF - she can help you save your hotel before it becomes the laughing stock of the hotel world and ruins your brand.
PLEASE PLEASE look at our photos so you know that we are not making any of this up!!!

2  Thank Lovestravelandtrips
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have just returned from a two night break at Rudloe Hall and to be honest with you I checked out reviews on this site and was very sceptical before the trip commenced. However, I must say that myself and my mum thoroughly enjoyed it. We stayed in the annex, room 311 (double bed) which was more than adequate, with two sofas, and yes a small tv but that was not a priority in our eyes. The bed was comfy, room clean and bathroom all you need. Staff were great and could not do more for us. Any queries were dealt with efficiently and politely. Food, as far as we were concerned was very tasty and generous in portion. For the amount paid for this deal I would say it is well worth every penny and any negative reviews I read earlier then all I can say is that expectations for the price way over exceeded. I would definitely recommend this hotel. A lovely break thoroughly enjoyed!!

Room Tip: Annex room 311 double room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My better half booked this weekend break and I have to say we had a great two days. Very quirky interior decor which seemed to had been thrown in there but made for interesting conversations and jokes. The nude ladies black and white photos that adorned the entrance were very arty in their composition but maybe not for a hotel lobby. Numerous photos of MPW adorned the staircase and bar which was a little OTT but he is a tad eccentric!
Our room was in the annex building and was very nice indeed. Large room with two sofas, small side room with tea/coffee facility and very small wardrobe. TV was very small for such a large room but we were not there watch films.
We had dinner here for the first night then at the Pear Tree on the second. Menus were a little low on choice and very similar at both venues. Food we thought was excellent at both and service was also commendable with all staff wanting to engage in conversation. The "glug glug" fish water jugs made us chuckle every time we poured a glass!
I have read many reviews which paint a very poor picture of this place but I disagree with them as We had a great weekend!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark E
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This beautiful hotel was recently the venue for our daughters wedding.The hall itself is stunning with beautiful views over Bath.The staff where amazing nothing was too much trouble,they where helpful,friendly and professional.David you and your team are fabulous.Our room was clean and very big.The food was of a very high standard and the best sausages I have tasted.Thank you to everyone who made our weekend perfect.

Room Tip: We had a suite and would highly recommend them.Spacious with plenty of seating,hanging space etc
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jayne913
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
Guyers House Hotel
Lucknam Park
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Shaw Country House Hotel

Been to Rudloe Arms? Share your experiences!