“Beautiful quirky hotel but rooms are a let down”
Review of Rudloe Arms

Rudloe Arms
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Corsham
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just stayed at this hotel through a secret escapes booking. The hotel itself is gorgeous from the outside, and the downstairs areas have been decorated in a really quirky and interesting way.

We loved the funky bar area and found the nudie pictures that adorned the walls far from inappropriate! Grounds are pretty and well-kept and parking was easy right in front of the hotel.

Reception staff were lovely but waiting staff consisted of youngsters and had no real flair. The downstairs areas have some missing lightbulbs etc -something which could be easily remedied and shows a lack of attention to detail!

Now to the room: the real let down. Whilst clean and comfortable, our room (2) displayed none of the quirkiness of downstairs, it was like staying in two different hotels. Boring furniture, old fashioned pictures on the walls, unimaginative linens, carpets and a ceiling light that was begging for shades. It would not take very much to inject some fun into the rooms and then it would truly be a stunning hotel.

We had lovely 2 course dinner (included in our deal) I had the fish which was far from soggy unlike other reviews and my husband had the steak (although not worth the £6.50 surcharge) and both desserts were delicious. I must point out, this is NOT what I would call fine dining but as it was in a deal it was perfectly fine!

A few gripes though: no one asked if our food was ok (this really annoys me). we were offered water for the table, I accepted and was given a £3.95 bottle of mineral water, I'm no cheapskate but think you should be offered the choice of tap or bottle. Most annoying was the background music in the restaurant, they had a radio sitting on the floor playing a local radio station with the most naff song choices, we found it laughable! Call me weird but I don't want to hear caravan adverts whilst I am trying to enjoy my dinner! It really was the most peculiar thing, surely could they not play ANY cd other than this.

All in all an enjoyable stay, would I return? If we had a similar deal and they refurbished the bedrooms then yes!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pinky1982
There are newer reviews for Rudloe Arms

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Having read previous reviews we were somewhat apprehensive.
We now suspect that the level of expectation of other reviewers is unreasonable bearing in mind the cost of the accommodation.
We arrived late after traffic delays and therefore were unable to have dinner. The good news was the bar was open and we were able to relax with a drink. The decor of the bar was interesting and unusually appealing.
The bedroom was clean, tidy and large; more than adequate.
The breakfast was OK, we would have preferred more choice of cold items, e.g fruit, but there was good variety of juice and the coffee was tasty.
All the staff were friendly and made us feel very welcome.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chrisali1
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Having read the other reviews I was very worried about a 2 night stay that I'd booked for a friend and I. But we really enjoyed staying at the hotel and eating there. Yes, there is a lot of dust (on blinds in the dining room and in my friend's room - no 10 - where there were a LOT of cobwebs as well) but my room (no 7) was lovely and had a gorgeous view.

We liked the informality of the hotel, the food and the grounds. The staff were friendly and generally very helpful. We both have busy lives and felt very relaxed by the end of our stay. A quick whizz round with a feather duster would sort most of the issues out with this place. We didn't spend any time in the lounge, as it seemed geared up to people watching TV/ playing pool - was a shame as the decor didn't really fit with the faded gentility/ shabby chic of the main building. Not sure who thought it would be a good idea but maybe it appeals to the male/ business clientele?

I slept very well - I'm a very light sleeper but was not disturbed (I was in room 7)

Room Tip: Room 7 has a very old four poster bed and a fabulous view over the countryside. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank joworcester
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband, mother and I spent 2 nights here in June.
The whole place seems to have an excess of design over comfort...
The decor is a bit odd (although maybe very MPW?) - photos of naked/semi-naked women adorn the entrance hall and the staircase is lined with photos of the great man himself. The bar is so full of pool tables that you can't see where to sit.
We did have a good dinner on the first night (my blade of beef was excellent) but the ambience in the dining room was pretty lacking. The breakfast 'grilled kippers' were more boil-in-the bag than grilled & the toast soldiers were as limp as a fainted guardsman at the trooping of the colours rather than standing to attention!
We had a second evening meal at the Pear Tree Inn which had much better ambience but really over-cooked fish and chips (boo)
My mother had a lovely attic room, our room was pleasant but the windows opened onto the staff rest 'area' so was pretty noisy at night (til 1am). Our bathroom wasn't cleaned properly.
The staff were pleasant - especially Rowan- but the whole atmosphere wasn't happy & we won't be rushing to visit another MPW hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SaraRvw
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our 20th anniversary and thought what a better way than booking a four poster room in a beautiful hall/hotel owned by Marco Pierre White !!!! How wrong were we? Our room was awful! I don't think it had seen a lick of paint since the 70's, the furniture looked like it had come from a second hand shop! Except for the four poster, that was definitely an antique, even came fully loaded with antique dust!!!!! The kettle was on the floor in a tangle of wires, the room was very shabby. We also made the decision to eat there, the food was VERY average, in fact our 12 yr old could of done a better job. So all in all we will NOT be going back or in fact any MPW hotel/pub again.

Room Tip: Book somewhere other than Rudloe arms !
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Having read previous reviews I assumed that the guest had been over critical but its all true! Limited menus, soggy greasy fish, over seasoned food, no ice, warm wine, lack of breakfast crockery and cutlery... the list goes on!

I did feel sorry for the staff who were very pleasant and obviously stressed out. They had refined the art of not making eye contact in an attempt to avoid receiving complaints!

Mr White I can only suggest that you get over the Rudloe Arms and sort it out or at least remove your name from it until you can improve the establishment. It isn't doing your reputation any good at all.

Final thoughts ....it was so bad it was funny, but we wont be making a return visit or indeed going to any other Marco establishment.

2  Thank Alison G
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Trying to think of something positive to say about our stay at The Rudloe Arms but cannot think of anything.Shabby room before being upgraded to an apartment in Treetops.At dinner first evening they ran out of creamed potatoes and substituted with chips and then tried to charge for them.Breakfast menu said grilled Manx kipper which turned out to be boil in the bag kippers and my husbands full English was inedible.There is no lounge to relax in with a pre dinner drink or afternoon tea etc. who wants to sit in a games room while people are playing snooker with a huge tv screen blaring away.We faired no better at The Pear Tree on our second night,we ordered haddock and chips and guess what? yes they had run out!If Marco Pierre White wants to put his name to this project he needs to step up his game. A dismal experience.

Room Tip: Upgrade to one of the newly refurbished rooms.
2  Thank 12sherwood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
Guyers House Hotel
Lucknam Park
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Shaw Country House Hotel

Been to Rudloe Arms? Share your experiences!