Rudloe Arms
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$195
Travelocity
Beechfield House(Beanacre)
US$305
Hotels.com
Premier Inn Chippenham Hotel(Chippenham)(Great Value!)
US$92
Bear Hotel(Chippenham)
US$70
Travelocity
1,163 results
All reviewsthe main housenew buildingquirky hoteldavid baileyguinea fowlroll top bathkippersweekend breakfood was lovelycourse dinnerbeautiful groundstwo night stayartworkphotographsgeesequirkinessvictorian
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights on 18th July. Amazing and very charming gothic hotel. All the staff were attentive and really friendly, the cooked breakfasts were good presented well although I didn't really think there was much choice for cereals, fruit etc. The bar area was great and very informal with pool tables and table top football. We were upgraded to a suite (221). A lovely big room almost the same size as a 1 bed flat. Nicely decorated with juliette balconies. There was a big stain on the carpet as you walked in which we wasnt fussed about but there was a smell as you walked in the room, we got accustomed to it the longer you stayed in the room. Without offending anyone I can only describe it as a smell encountered when walking into an older persons home. However this aside it wouldn't put us off returning. My other surprise which my husband kindly pointed out was the 'nude' black and white photos in the entrance hall. I've never seen that in a hotel but it didn't offend us, it made us have a little smile. Would we return? Most definitely. A charming period hotel, great staff and nice grounds. All endorsed/owned but TV chef Marco Pierre White

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed in the annexe at the bottom of the drive. There was plenty of parking and a lift. The room was more like a suite, with a lounge/study area, bedroom and another large area (a bit of a waste of space) for the kettle. And of course the bathroom which was clean with plenty of towels and hot water. The TV was small and the room was very dark with dark furniture and heavy curtains which made it rather depressing when the weather was so lovely outside. Nevertheless is was comfortable and cleaned every day. Bear in mind you have to walk in the open to the hotel for breakfast which would not be so beautiful if it was pouring with rain.
Breakfast was disappointing but served by polite youngsters who did their best to please. I found it odd in a hotel of this quality that you were only allowed to pick one item on the cooked breakfast menu other wise you had to pay extra. So for instance, you couldn't have bacon and eggs followed by waffle. Perhaps that was better for my health though!
The fruit juice and milk were both room temperature rather than cold. There was only a small choice of cereals and very little fresh fruit, just a small bowl of unappealing apples and the odd banana. Toast was brought to the table but it was basic white bread and you were not asked if you would like any more. There were no croissants or other types of breakfast pastries that I have found standard at other hotels.
Wi fi was free but worked intermittently.
The walls were full of art proclaiming the life of Marco Pierre White and his celebrity friends and I wasn't keen on the nude model art as you walked through the porch every day but that is just a matter of taste.
I would not choose this hotel to relax in for a holiday, the bar area was not welcoming or relaxing and I did not eat dinner there. However, I found it more than adequate for a business stay apart from the Wi-Fi.
The area around really is beautiful. Do visit Corsham and the Almshouse and go to Bradford on Avon too to see a lovely Saxon church.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We had a very disappointing stay. The room was fine. Did its job. What spoilt the weekend was the catalogue of service issues in the restaurants. The first night one of the main courses was burnt & they switched the wine without informing us. They did nothing to rectify the problems. On the second night we ate at the sister restaurant at the Pear tree inn. We waited almost an hour to be seated, even though we had booked. The service was almost non existent. We waited 15 mins for the starter to be cleared & 25mins to clear the mains, only after I had to get someone. The food was great, but the service completely ruined the meal.
There were also issues at breakfast the next day.
When I explained the issues the the front desk at check out, they told me a manager would get in touch, as he was in a meeting. That never happened.
They clearly don't care. They are getting most of the basics wrong. It is not a relaxing weekend. You will just leave annoyed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank vmnk
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just stayed at this hotel through a secret escapes booking. The hotel itself is gorgeous from the outside, and the downstairs areas have been decorated in a really quirky and interesting way.

We loved the funky bar area and found the nudie pictures that adorned the walls far from inappropriate! Grounds are pretty and well-kept and parking was easy right in front of the hotel.

Reception staff were lovely but waiting staff consisted of youngsters and had no real flair. The downstairs areas have some missing lightbulbs etc -something which could be easily remedied and shows a lack of attention to detail!

Now to the room: the real let down. Whilst clean and comfortable, our room (2) displayed none of the quirkiness of downstairs, it was like staying in two different hotels. Boring furniture, old fashioned pictures on the walls, unimaginative linens, carpets and a ceiling light that was begging for shades. It would not take very much to inject some fun into the rooms and then it would truly be a stunning hotel.

We had lovely 2 course dinner (included in our deal) I had the fish which was far from soggy unlike other reviews and my husband had the steak (although not worth the £6.50 surcharge) and both desserts were delicious. I must point out, this is NOT what I would call fine dining but as it was in a deal it was perfectly fine!

A few gripes though: no one asked if our food was ok (this really annoys me). we were offered water for the table, I accepted and was given a £3.95 bottle of mineral water, I'm no cheapskate but think you should be offered the choice of tap or bottle. Most annoying was the background music in the restaurant, they had a radio sitting on the floor playing a local radio station with the most naff song choices, we found it laughable! Call me weird but I don't want to hear caravan adverts whilst I am trying to enjoy my dinner! It really was the most peculiar thing, surely could they not play ANY cd other than this.

All in all an enjoyable stay, would I return? If we had a similar deal and they refurbished the bedrooms then yes!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pinky1982
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Having read previous reviews we were somewhat apprehensive.
We now suspect that the level of expectation of other reviewers is unreasonable bearing in mind the cost of the accommodation.
We arrived late after traffic delays and therefore were unable to have dinner. The good news was the bar was open and we were able to relax with a drink. The decor of the bar was interesting and unusually appealing.
The bedroom was clean, tidy and large; more than adequate.
The breakfast was OK, we would have preferred more choice of cold items, e.g fruit, but there was good variety of juice and the coffee was tasty.
All the staff were friendly and made us feel very welcome.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple