“Strange mix and not child friendly”
Review of Rudloe Arms

Rudloe Arms
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Corsham
Herts
“Strange mix and not child friendly”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed here recently for a wedding with my 2 year old daughter. The wedding was wonderful and we had a really good time. But the hotel itself is such a strange mix of old and new it just doesn't go! You think you are staying in a lovely old hotel, but the art work is just odd, with neon lighting and not in keeping with the building. It ruins the whole experience.

We stayed in the Treetops annex building and the room was huge (it should be at £160 a night!) but I thought the room was tired. The tv was so small there was no way to watch it from the bed. There was an additional bathroom which had a bidet and a desk in it - I am not sure when you would have the need for both in the same room! The kettle was "well used" and with cheap UHT milk, you couldn't have a decent cuppa! There were some random books on a desk, which had a laminate note saying "we understand that damages may occur, but if a book goes missing, you will be charged for it - The Management". Not very welcoming. There was no hotel information in the room, about breakfast/check out times/health and safety of the hotel/local attractions/room services etc. It didn't feel like value for money at all.

When I choose a hotel, I normally will pick one because it is suitable for children, but as we were staying for a wedding, and were in a family suite, I thought it would be OK. The hotel itself has no baby changing facilities and you have to go back to your room for nappy changes etc. Not great when you can't check in until 2pm. As we were in the annex, this is quite a task with a 2 year old. You have to walk down the driveway, then go up 2 floors in the lift, and through another door. My daughter's bed was a sofa bed which was so uncomfortable I put it away and she slept in the big bed. I should have just had a normal double room and saved £60!

The lighting is so poor we had to "feel" our way out of the side entrance of the main building and moving a buggy around the narrow corridors with tables in the way was very tricky! (Wheel-chair access would be near on impossible!)

Breakfast was terrible, 1 small sausage, 1 bit of dry bacon, 2 eggs, 1 mushroom and 1 tomato. Considering Marco Pierre White owns this hotel, you would expect a decent breakfast. But it really was one of the worst I have ever had. The seats in the restaurant are "bucket" style so it is impossible for a child to sit at and eat, not that there was a breakfast option for her anyway. The coffee was flavourless too!

The good thing I can say was that despite the hotel's poor access, child facilities, lack of information and guidance, décor and tiredness, the staff were all very polite and helpful when asked, in what was a rather uncomfortable stay. I was asked for comments when I checked out, and I told them that as they are a wedding venue and have family rooms, children should be accommodated for. Let's hope they listen!

Room Tip: If you have children, try and get a room in the main building.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MrsFab2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Welshpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Well - I picked this hotel initially as I was booking short notice and found nothing affordable nearer to Bath. I read the reviews and thought ... oh well

The hotel IS charming and in a beautiful setting. We were in room 7 (four poster bed, bathroom and shower ensuite, tiny tv). On the whole it was lovely although close inspection does show tired soft furnishings and walls in need of decoration. We couldn't open the bathroom window.

Having said that the place was delightful and the staff very friendly and helpful, for two tired travellers. We drank in the bar and played snooker (a new experience for me!), pootled around the croquet lawn and there was a wedding reception going on next door but we heard little of it. Our room overlooked the side lawn and we have a fantastic view.

Breakfast was adequate - one was left alone but could easily catch the attention of staff to ask for more toast or tea etc.

On the whole - if you can get a good deal then this place is worth visiting if only for ambience. Oh and the bedlinen was crisp and clean. I liked the place!

Room Tip: Only stayed on first floor so unsure how to rate the rooms. We loved the four posted in the large Ro...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kate G
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Took advantage of an offer advertised on LivingSocial deals for a 2 night stay at the Rudloe Arms in Corsham. Really looked forward to the dining experience as the weekend was billed as a 'Gourmet Getaway'.

The first impressions of the hotel were great. An impressive approach down a tree lined driveway leads to an ivy covered Gothic styled structure set in lovely grounds. Ample parking available outside of the hotel entrance. Staff were very friendly and welcoming and check-in was efficient. Our bedroom was located on the top floor of the main building.

The entrance hall was quite dark (probably due to the ivy covering much of the downstairs windows). Sadly the upper floors of the main building are in dire need of refurbishment. Carpets are stained and threadbare once you leave the first floor landing. It gets worse as you ascend to the upper floor where our room was located. The stairway splits into 2 directions. To the right was a doorway blocked by a door that was leaning against the frame and is clearly a hazard to any young child that may try to enter (door could fall over and crush them).

Our room was very hot (admittedly the outside temperature was in the high 20's) but there was no air conditioning facility or fan, which would have helped. The wallpaper was old, stained and peeling off the walls and the carpet threadbare and tatty, especially as the point where it may have been joined together years ago, now there is an inch gap between two frayed edges.

The bed linen was clean and crisply ironed, which is always a plus. We had one window to open through which we occasionally got a welcome puff of cool breeze. Another negative was the lack of shower facilities in the room (there was a slip on rubber shower hose should you wish to use it, but as the bath was small with no shower curtains, using this would have resulted in water going everywhere in the bedroom) only a small Victorian style bath in an alcove of the bedroom.

In hindsight, I have no idea how we would have escaped from the room if there had been a fire on the lower floors. There was no fire escape plan in the room and no signs visible showing an alternative escape route.

Back to some positive feedback. We spent the afternoon relaxing outside with cold beverages served with a smile. There is a lovely sunny croquet lawn surrounded by benches and also a secluded garden which was in use for a wedding function.

Dinner followed later that evening. It can best be described as well prepared posh pub grub. Tasty and well prepared but certainly not fine dining. The wines accompanying the meal were however excellent. Service was good and very efficient.

Breakfast was minimal but well prepared using good quality produce. To repeat comments from other guests - why oh why is there a radio playing during meal times? Surely this can be replaced by subtle background music. I certainly do not with to listen to irritating radio ads whilst I eat!!

For our second evening we dined at the nearby sister establishment called the Pear Tree in nearby Melksham (separate review for this experience) followed by drinks in the quirky pub in our hotel. Not sure that there is a need for 2 snooker tables in the bar area as no-one used them whilst we were there. Lots of interesting photo's on the walls and a few exquisite old table football games are available for guests to use. Only criticism is that there was not enough seating for the guests using the bar.

Overall the staff were excellent. Very friendly and efficient and Mark in particular made sure that everyone in the bar was well looked after. Hotel décor is in need of refurbishment on the upper floors as it is truly below the standard of a run-down tired seaside B&B. Meals were tasty and well prepared but certainly not fine dining.

Would I return? Not if I were to pay the full price, but may consider another discounted offer and only if I could stay in the refurbished annexe.

Room Tip: Choose a room in Annexe as rooms in the main building are in need of major redecoration! Wifi is fre...
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Food was amazing , Rooms disgusting , holes in curtains, stains in carpets , rooms dirty , not safe if in a fire windows do not open , water scalding hot no cold water . And the manger never replies to feedback

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Natalielawry

Travellers are raving about these Corsham hotels

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We booked this hotel on the Secret Escapes deal for dinner, bed and breakfast.
Before we went, I did read the reviews on Trip Advisor and was concerned! However, upon arrival, the hotel is in a pretty setting and is of a lovely gothic character.
Staff checked us in promptly and booked us for dinner that evening. We stayed in the new accommodation block at the bottom of the drive and found the room to be fine - clean, a decent bathroom with bath and separate shower.
The weather really made this place, as it was so hot we sat out at the rear and had a drink in the sunshine during the afternoon. it may be a little dreary in winter?
Early evening we went up to the main hotel and had a drink in the bar - many people commented on the nude pictures as you walk in but I can't see why they would offend really, same for the numerous pics of MPW - these didn't really bother us as it is his name to the place.

The bar is quirky, we really enjoyed the style - if a cosy bar with character, pool tables a juke box is what is up your street, you'll love it, if not, you probably won't. Mark was particularly helpful in selecting us a bottle of wine and was very welcoming.

On to the dinner....this is where the place isn't really up to scratch (yet??) Please do not go here expecting fine dining as you will most definitely be disappointed. The one thing I cannot believe is that the hotel have paid no attention to the comments on TripAdvisor about the radio playing in the dining room - for me this ruins what could be a lovely ambience in this room - TURN IT OFF OR AT LEAST TURN IT DOWN! It wasn't so much the music that annoyed & distracted me but the radio adverts whilst supposedly eating my gourmet meal! Please please please do something about this!

Similarly, breakfast was very simple. A very minimal breakfast menu and a choice of fruit juice and a few cereals. I think fruit was available upon request but there was nothing more on the continental side. I wanted to order the poached eggs on the crumpets but they had run out, you could order the full English breakfast but they had run out of mushrooms. Tea and coffee plus toast were served so all in all it was ok. the young lady serving was lovely and very efficient.

Basically, we had a good time, however, if I had paid full price for this deal I would have been bitterly disappointed but if you can get a deal to stay here for dinner bed and breakfast for about £100 which we did then it didn't seem so bad.

I really hope this place is in the middle of a refurbishment / upgrade as with a few changes it could be really good. I did ask at check out if they read the reviews on here and they confirmed they did so I can only assume that if you go post this date and none of the repeated issues are looked at (even one as simple as the old radio on on the floor in the dining room at night!) then they are not really bothered.

1 Thank Kate T
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights on 18th July. Amazing and very charming gothic hotel. All the staff were attentive and really friendly, the cooked breakfasts were good presented well although I didn't really think there was much choice for cereals, fruit etc. The bar area was great and very informal with pool tables and table top football. We were upgraded to a suite (221). A lovely big room almost the same size as a 1 bed flat. Nicely decorated with juliette balconies. There was a big stain on the carpet as you walked in which we wasnt fussed about but there was a smell as you walked in the room, we got accustomed to it the longer you stayed in the room. Without offending anyone I can only describe it as a smell encountered when walking into an older persons home. However this aside it wouldn't put us off returning. My other surprise which my husband kindly pointed out was the 'nude' black and white photos in the entrance hall. I've never seen that in a hotel but it didn't offend us, it made us have a little smile. Would we return? Most definitely. A charming period hotel, great staff and nice grounds. All endorsed/owned but TV chef Marco Pierre White

midlands
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed in the annexe at the bottom of the drive. There was plenty of parking and a lift. The room was more like a suite, with a lounge/study area, bedroom and another large area (a bit of a waste of space) for the kettle. And of course the bathroom which was clean with plenty of towels and hot water. The TV was small and the room was very dark with dark furniture and heavy curtains which made it rather depressing when the weather was so lovely outside. Nevertheless is was comfortable and cleaned every day. Bear in mind you have to walk in the open to the hotel for breakfast which would not be so beautiful if it was pouring with rain.
Breakfast was disappointing but served by polite youngsters who did their best to please. I found it odd in a hotel of this quality that you were only allowed to pick one item on the cooked breakfast menu other wise you had to pay extra. So for instance, you couldn't have bacon and eggs followed by waffle. Perhaps that was better for my health though!
The fruit juice and milk were both room temperature rather than cold. There was only a small choice of cereals and very little fresh fruit, just a small bowl of unappealing apples and the odd banana. Toast was brought to the table but it was basic white bread and you were not asked if you would like any more. There were no croissants or other types of breakfast pastries that I have found standard at other hotels.
Wi fi was free but worked intermittently.
The walls were full of art proclaiming the life of Marco Pierre White and his celebrity friends and I wasn't keen on the nude model art as you walked through the porch every day but that is just a matter of taste.
I would not choose this hotel to relax in for a holiday, the bar area was not welcoming or relaxing and I did not eat dinner there. However, I found it more than adequate for a business stay apart from the Wi-Fi.
The area around really is beautiful. Do visit Corsham and the Almshouse and go to Bradford on Avon too to see a lovely Saxon church.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
Guyers House Hotel
Lucknam Park
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel

Been to Rudloe Arms? Share your experiences!