“Quiet location”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Corsham
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Quiet location”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Location very quiet, However like many other celebrity chef hotels the bedrooms take second place to the restaurant and food. Our room was very tired and worn out. To keep one of two old sash windows open a cut logwas supplied. One person could not put this in position by themself. (Gave a whole new meaning to 'logging on' for us to get some fresh air! The other window was jammed shut.

Staff in restaurant very polite, however need more training. E.g. Ladies should always be served first. Our food was good in the category of pub grub. However if you are expecting high end cuisine think again. Our two night stay was just about worth the voucher price we paid.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

My husband took me away for 2 nights as a surprise 20th wedding anniversary present. When we arrived it looked lovely, we arrived at 1.30 but was told we could not check in until 2pm. We then went to the bar which had lots of "stuff" everywhere - hanging from walls and ceilings alike. We were waiting about 15 mins and my husband went to the receptionist to ask for service. When we were finally served I paid with a £10 note ti be told they had no change.
We were in the building away from the hotel and we got wet when going to and from the hotel. We booked a table for an evening meal but were left sitting there fir ages. Once served the food was awful, I had haddock and the batter was burnt and the chips were just crispy no potato. Breakfast in the morning was just as bad in fact my husband was still hungry. We decided to eat at lunchtime in Bath as we did not want to go to the restaurant again. That evening there was a wedding reception which we were not informed about. Its far too small for this such occasion we felt like we were intruding on this special day. The small bar was full of wedding guests and we couldn't even get served so we went to our room. Only the tv in the room was so small it was more than useless. Would I use this hotel again - NO WAY

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen E

Travellers are raving about these Corsham hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We arrived during Sunday afternoon and pulled up to the front of the building, which we had expected to be a large country house. It was a large family house, but it turned out not to be large enough to have all the guest rooms in the building, so they had built another block about 80 yards away from Reception.
We pushed open the front door and at the far end of the hall, there sat a Receptionist, side-on to the door, which felt a bit unusual. She was cheerful enough, but of course it turned out that our room when we checked in was in the building 80 yards away.
That was OK as it transpired, because when we went for breakfast the next morning, it wasn't raining. If it had been, we would have been soaked before we got to the Breakfast Room and would have eaten in a great deal of discomfort (quite apart from what I will shortly describe).
The room was quite large and reasonably pleasant; it was a bit bland in decoration with no pictures at all (not even of Marco Pierre White, but I digress) and the TV had a tiny 14 inch screen which was like looking at a postage stamp on the far side of the room from the sofas.
Yes, I did say sofas in the plural. The room was large, but really didn't need two, non-matching sofas taking up space and we got the impression that they had been left over from somewhere else and bunged in our room. Nonetheless, the room was OK, although there were stains on the carpet and when we moved one of the sofas, so my wife could get near the only mirror in the room to do her hair, we found a jelly baby under the sofa, so cleanliness wasn't up to much, either. We then decided to walk in the grounds and see the gardens. It turned out not to be a particularly good idea, as the gardens were (let's be kind and say 'a work in progress'). Saplings have clearly been planted and in ten years, they may well start to look tree-like, but there was a lot of unused equipment and old pieces of garden furniture piled about, as though there was nowhere else to put them.
We then looked around the main building and discovered a bar area which was 'decorated' in a strange and rather bizarre style (if you can call it a style). Perhaps it's fair only to say it wasn't in our taste and I can't imagine whose taste it could possibly have been in - perhaps Marco Pierre White's?
Then we went into the Dining Room (squeezing past some trolleys in the corridor which had clearly been left there for the moment, and were in the way of the entrance) and were confronted on all walls with pictures of Marco Pierre White, pencil drawings of Marco Pierre White and caricatures of Marco Pierre White. I saw him on a TV programme once and concluded he had a large ego, but not until I entered this room did I realise how gigantically, hugely, enormous that ego is. To be fair, there were a number also of Terry O'Neill photographs of (genuinely) famous people, like David Niven and Sammy Davis Jr. THEY were interesting. After a tour of the room, we decided not to dine there, but made our way into Corsham to see what it had to offer. We exited past the trolleys that were partially blocking the doorway into the corridor and walked the long walk back to our block, where the car was parked.
We slept perfectly well, no particular noise disturbed us, all was well. Then we went for breakfast. To get to the Dining Room (or Breakfast Room, at this time) we had to push past the trolleys, which turned out not to be just left there haphazardly, but were part of the so-called 'buffet' - I ask you, a buffet in a doorway where people are constantly coming in and out, ridiculous. They had a couple of jugs of fruit drinks on them and a few small glasses, so that you didn't drink too much. There was no other fruit, nor meat or cheese that continental guests generally enjoy (we aren't continental, so that didn't bother us). We were then ushered to a table by a perfectly cheerful and efficient waitress. Obviously, we were opposite a picture of Marco Pierre White and adjacent to another one, because all the tables had exactly the same problem.
The waitress took our order from a Menu which had on it specific things like 'Scrambled Egg on Toast' or 'Waffle with Maple Syrup' or 'Full English Breakfast' without any description of what was included, nor any means of being able to order what you actually wanted. My wife ordered sausages and tomatoes and I ordered Scrambled Eggs, Bacon and tomato (I usually like some mushrooms, but there was no mention of them on the Menu. Later I saw the adjacent table being delivered with mushrooms, so apparently you could order them - they just liked it kept secret from the guests).
While were were waiting for our order to arrive (a long time, because it was freshly cooked) a young man, who appeared to think he was a waiter, barged into the room and bellowed at the people at an adjacent table 'DO YOU WANT TEA OR COFFEE?' in a rather (I thought) belligerent manner. Then our food arrived and the waitress was carrying our plates without any form of tea towel to protect her hands from the heat of the plates. The plates were stone cold, so we had no need to worry - not about the waitress, anyway. My wife had one sausage, that didn't look as though it had been cooked properly and one tomato. I had a spoonful of scrambled egg two strips of bacon (chef was obviously feeling generous) and one tomato. My wife likes fruit at breakfast, so after we had finished the 'hot' food, she went looking for some fruit on the 'Buffet' (you remember, the two trolleys that were parked in the doorway). She couldn't find any, so asked the 'waiter' and he said 'Oh - the Night Man has forgotten to put the fruit out'. She waited, and he brought, not a bowl of different sliced fruits in their own juices, but an Orange, an Apple and a Pear - all cold as ice and rock hard, probably straight out of the freezer.
She pointed out she really wanted some sliced fruit in a bowl and he kindly offered instead to fetch her a knife, then walked off, satisfied that he had diplomatically sorted the entire situation out. We thanked our lucky stars we hadn't eaten there the night before and because of the breakfast fiasco, we went to the Receptionist and said we thought we would leave now, although we were booked in for two days.
We anticipated being threatened with losing our deposit, or in some way persuaded to stay. Not a bit of it - she seemed only too familiar with this situation and immediately gave us our bill for just the one night. We paid it and left.
Would I recommend it? No, absolutely not. It was mostly adequate, but poor waitering, cold plates and no proper Buffet items are simply not acceptable at these prices. The area had lovely scenery, Corsham was pretty and we might go back there again. but absolutely not to the Rudloe Hall (and probably not to anything that we perceive to be anything linked to Marco Pierre White).

Room Tip: Choose any room in a different hotel than this
1 Thank ericjhan
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Terrible breakfasts, poor table service, little managerial direction, no evidence of staff training, rooms ok in nearby Tree Tops once the staff could find them! Bedrooms allocated were not as promised when we booked ie with shower. Dinner ok, no one offered the wine list on either night. Not recommended.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reading, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed here for one night with my husband for our friends' wedding. We stayed in a room in "TreeTops" (not the main building), which was clean and well presented. The bathroom was clean and the shower worked fine. The bed was very comfortable and we both slept well.

Breakfast was fine, but really nothing special considering the MPW "brand" stamped all over the place, service was good. The decor in the main building was my main bugbear - seemingly endless photos of MPW, it was really narcissistic.

So why only 3/5? They've lost 1 for the MPW self-obsession (it annoyed me) and 1 for a less-than-thrilling breakfast considering the "brand".

In summary, it's fine, nice...not thrilling, but nice.

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the main building are more exciting than those in "treetops". That s...
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We booked an over night stay and dinner at the Rudloe Arms, Corsham and were concerned at the mixed reviews. We booked 3 rooms and were upgraded to suites. Our evening meal and breakfast was most enjoyable. The hotel has plenty of character, and is set in lovely grounds with stunning views.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gaynor145
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have whisked my mother away for her 67th birthday for a B&B experience and after much deliberation on local competition, decided on The Rudloe Arms. What a great choice and absolute value for money. The room in the main house is perfect for that touch of antiquity. Home from home feel! We booked the restaurant for an evening meal and found we had one of the best overall experiences we have ever had in a hotel. The food was outstanding. We ordered the duck starter, sea bass main with sides and brownie pudding. The staff were perfectly attentive and so professional but down to earth and very friendly. We left the biggest tip we have ever left anyone because we had such a great evening. The wine was also the best Italian I have ever tasted. It had hints of elderflower and is the first wine in my life that I have had the pleasure to smell!!! Please if you do take my advice, try the white wine "Lunate". I wish to thank all the staff for such a personalised experience, especially Paige and David Legg, (AKA Leggie!!!)

• Stayed August 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corsham
Guyers House Hotel
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Beanacre
Shaw Country House Hotel
Premier Inn Chippenham Hotel

Been to Rudloe Arms? Share your experiences!