Methuen Arms Hotel
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
The Red Lion(Lacock)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssunday roastcourtyard gardensteakroberts radiofantastic restaurantsaturday nightscallopshigh standardlarge showeregyptian cotton sheetswine listpuddinggreat bathroomfamily roomlovely atmospherewaiting stafftop marks
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed here as part of the 'Sunday Steal' - spend £75 in the restaurant on a Sunday and two stay for B&B for £50. It was our wedding anniversary so it seemed an ideal way to extend the celebration.

On arrival we were greeted by Debbie and shown to our room, where she returned promptly with chilled champagne ordered by my other half. Perfect timing and so much enjoyed sitting on the sofa in our lovely character bedroom, with a small alcove to one side for tea and coffee making, and a luxurious shower room along a short passage.

The room (7) is romantic, lit by lamps and with warm coloured soft furnishings. There is everything that you need: small fridge, nice tea and coffee, little cookies. Hairdryer is provided and several hangers plus an ironing board should you need it. The bathroom is contemporary and has an amazing shower, with fabulous toiletries that have been developed to Debbie and her friend's specifications, gorgeously scented and made locally from natural ingredients. I had to buy the set to take home with me! Bathrobes are also provided. It's very generous considering the deal that we got.

Dinner was relaxed and delicious. Bar nibbles are available if you wish to order them while you peruse the menu, but we went straight for starters. These were generous and very tasty, not your standard fare. Debbie and our waitresses were very helpful when we weren't sure what to choose, making sure that we got what we wanted and that we enjoyed what we ordered. Our main courses were also wonderful; we ordered two sides but it wasn't necessary as the mains came with accompaniments in any case.

Pudding wasn't necessary either but I was tempted by the baked chocolate cheesecake and salted caramel sauce with yoghurt ice cream. Yummy is all I can say! My husband's cheeseboard was so generous that two could have shared it easily...and we did...

The wine list is good, with some interesting wines offered, including some served by the glass. The bar offers local draft ale and there is a comprehensive selection of whiskies, etc.

Off to bed where we slept like kings. Yes, the traffic woke us in the morning but as we were getting up to go to work it wasn't an issue. In fact it was nice to get down to breakfast earlier and spend more time mulling over the very tempting choices there! No stinting on the breakfast menu - such a lovely choice of good quality, well-cooked breakfast dishes. On the buffet table there are lovely breakfast pastries and superb home made seeded muffins, along with some gorgeous looking muesli and other cereals and choices of juice (apple and rhubarb, yummy!) my scrambled eggs with smoked salmon on toasted soda bread were just the job, as was the dry cured bacon (3 rashers) and perfectly poached eggs that my husband enjoyed.

Such a warm and friendly and genuinely interested welcome awaits the visitors to the Methuen Arms. We shall definitely be returning for more of the same!

Room Tip: Room 7 was full of character and very comfortable. It is by the road so perhaps not for those who want to sleep in the next morning.
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed here for one night, and would highly recommend it. Beautiful bedroom and bathroom, and very clean. Our dinner in the restaurant was superb. I had a pasta dish which I have not stopped talking about, as it was so good. All staff were very friendly and helpful. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

A lovely old building beautifully restored.
Very comfortable room shame ours did not have the advertised large bath, but a great shower.
The bar plays host to most of the village it seems ,, has a great atmosphere and the bar nibbles are superb.
Ate in the restaurant on the Saturday , booking essential as it seems people come from far and wide and no wonder. The food is beautifully cooked tastes wonderful and no wonder its in the Micheline guide.
A great place to spend a weekend if visiting the area.. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with a bath when booking if you like to bath.
1  Thank OLDGOAT67
Reviewed 3 August 2013

we stayed here for one night and thoroughly enjoyed the visit. My wife has three issues when staying in hotel rooms 1) the light via the make up mirror is poor 2) no full length mirror to check her appearance 3) plus not close to mirrors when she is doing her hair...well the Methuen ticked all these boxes, she was very impressed, it is the little things that turn it from a good stay to a great stay. The room was fine, the en-suite massive with a great walk in shower that had a monsoon head, great for me and a separate hand held unit, perfect for the wife.

We also had dinner in the hotel, the food is of a very high standard and is well above normal hotel fayre, not the cheapest but well worth every penny.

Looking for a short romantic break then give it a try, we were not disappointed.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

What a brilliant find this hotel is. I stayed for one night to meet with friends for dinner in the hotel and, for me, it came out at 100% in almost all areas.

Welcomed by the delightful owner, Debbie Still, I was shown to an elegant room of good size with all the modern conveniences. Fantastic comfortable mattress, Egyptian cotton sheets, huge fluffy towels, quality toiletries and of course spotlessly clean.

Dinner: The web site says 'Sorry no foams, towers, swipes & tortured carrots!! Just simple, well sourced & most of all tasty food that we are confident you will return for.' Well I absolutely agree, no nonsense food served by courteous, attentive staff in a relaxed style.

Starter I had Salcombe crab rarebit, broad beans, watercress and radish salad – Beautiful!
Main was Chargrilled leg & slow roasted shoulder of North Wraxall lamb, potato and celeriac gratin, creamed peas & runner beans with rosemary meat juices – Stunning! Debbie's husband, Martin, popped by the table to check that we were all happy, how could we not be!
Dessert was a chocolate cheesecake, but not just any old cheesecake. It was strong in flavour yet light in the mouth – A perfect end.

As if this wasn't good enough, the next morning I found out that it would be worth visiting just for breakfast. All of the normal things but done with a stylish Methuen twist; an emphasis on quality local produce. I must recommend the smoked haddock, poached egg, black pudding potato cake with parsley & mustard butter.

Great food, great staff and great location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends