“Surprisingly excellent!”
Review of Casa Hotel

Casa Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Chesterfield
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Had a Friday night stay at Casa with my wife on a business/pleasure trip in early August. Easy to find with a large car park, first impressions are surprising - it looks more like a cool, city hotel or maybe I'm just doing Chesterfield a disservice! The lobby area is very stylish and the receptionists were very friendly and professional. Up the lift to our 4th floor room and again, pleasantly surprised to find a stylishly designed room with a huge bed, large bathroom and should you need it plenty of storage - plus all the facilities you could realistically need. Back down to the Barca Bar on the ground floor and the Spanish theme is apparent with a good choice of Spanish beers, wines and sherries plus an extensive cocktail menu. You can eat in the bar but we opted for the Restaurant on the first floor. Again another stylish room with well spaced tables, some with a view of the open kitchen featuring a wood burning oven. The food again has a Spanish twist, we had a choice of Tapas to start which were excellent, the rest of the meal was also of a high standard accompanied by a very pleasant bottle of wine - again the wine list is heavily Spanish influenced. After a perfect nights sleep, the buffet breakfast in the restaurant also lived up to standards we'd experienced so far. You can select from cereals, pastries and fruits along with the traditional hot items which are served from the restaurant pass. All the ingredients were of a high quality and the chefs were on hand to ensure it was all fresh and topped up. Overall we really enjoyed our short stay at Casa, it's good value and offers something that bit different, would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Fouth floor rooms are very quiet with a good view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
DownhamStuart, Operations Director at Casa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear paolos74

Thank you for your great review. I am delighted to read that you had such positive experiences throughout your stay. It is very encouraging to hear that we are getting it right for our guests. The team are thrilled with your kind feedback. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Stuart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,488)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a hotel with lots of character. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. The bar is great with a good selection of drinks. We ate in the restaurant and had a fabulous meal. The breakfast was made using all local produce and was a great way to round off an excellent overnight stay.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Helen B

Thank you for posting such a positive review of Casa. I am so pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

What a great clean, modern, comfortable hotel. Fed up staying in over priced tired hotels on business, then stay at the Casa for an amazing excellent experience.

The staff are fantastic with a real " can do" helpful attitude. The room was excellent and the bed large and very comfortable, hard to get up for the days labours ! Breakfast will not disappoint from the home made rolls to the amazing sausages. I am already looking forward to my next trip back.

Dear Tony M

Thank you for posting such a great review for Casa. We are very fortunate to have such a dedicated team, many of whom have been with us since we opened in 2010. One of our main aims was to offer food, quality and service that sets us apart from our competitors. It is very encouraging to hear that we are getting it right. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

It's rare to get an authentic vibe from hotels in the UK but the Spanish flare runs throughout the whole of the CASA. From the tapas on the menu to the flamenco guitar quietly in the background and from the occasional Dali-esque art to the vibrant colours.

The rooms are stylish, spacious and welcoming. Plus, they are so confident in the comfort of their beds, that they offer them for sale!
The staff are really professional and friendly, remembering that I had a food allergy the next day - even friends forget my food allergy, so I was impressed!

Although in an industrial location, it's not too far from the country delights of Derbyshire, such as Chatsworth, etc.

Can't wait to stay here again :)

Room Tip: There are suits available with hot-tubs apparently... :)

Dear Bear_SN75

Thank you for your fantastic review. It is very encouraging to hear that you had such a good stay. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

kind regards

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday. We had a lovely stay, check in was smooth, the bar has very good cocktails! On the 2nd night we dined in the restaurant and had food from the 'early bird menu, food was nice, we had the bread to start and was expensive at 1.50! Each person, the rolls were VERY small, but at least they were homemade. Breakfast was lovely and plentiful. Lovely hotel would stay again.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Rebecca B

Many thanks for posting your review on tripadvisor. I hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

As it was my wifes birthday we decided to visit Chatsworth again and picked Casa as it was close by and (in this humid weather) offered Air Conditioning. As other reviews have mentioned the staff are young but happy, friendly and helpful and checking in was no problem. The room was as expected - newish, well furnished and not too small. The A/C seemed to work well and was quiet. We had twin beds and these were very comfortable with larger pillows rather than the usual standard size - a big improvement. On the downside we disliked the fact that there was a winter duvet on each bed with no top sheet. That meant you either sweltered under the duvet or froze with nothing on top. I also dislike rain showers and would prefer a more conventional set up but this is really a personal thing. Otherwise the bathroom was more than adequate with modern fittings and ample hot water.

As we were on a D B & B basis we ate in the Cocina restaurant on both nights of our stay and found this to be very disappointing both in terms of value for money and quality. It certainly does not warrant 2 rosettes! On the first night my wife ordered the salmon starter which was substantial and tasty. I, on the other hand, ordered the Carpaccio of beef (£8.50) and I defy anyone to slice beef any thinner. Just one slice and if I could have picked it up I swear you could have seen through it. As I pointed out to the waitress there was more horseradish on my plate than beef! For mains we had the lamb and chicken which were OK. On the second night, a Sunday, there was a reduced Menu but my wife (sensibly) had the same starter whereas I opted for the liver and bacon salad. I should have had the salmon!! This time the quantity of liver was acceptable but it was overcooked and slimy and I only managed to find 5 bacon bits the size of crumbs. In fairness they didn't charge me when I complained. We both had the Fish Pie for our main course and once again this was acceptable but not 2 Rosette standard.

The Buffet breakfast in this restaurant was mixed. The Continental was very good with a wide choice of fruits, meats and cereals but the English was not so good with the bacon being tasteless and chewy, the mushrooms greasy and the scrambled eggs had seen better days. The remainder didn't look that appealing but I guess this is true of any Buffet that is kept warm under lights. I would compare it to the offerings in Department stores and Supermarkets. It is only fair to point out that they would cook a made to order breakfast if you had the time to wait.

Finally the Toilet paper was the best I have experienced in any hotel and this includes some of the top hotels in the UK and USA.

Room Tip: Try to stay in a room which doesn't face the large roundabout and Tesco.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Goldit
DownhamStuart, Head Chef at Casa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear adrian g

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Casa hotel. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words regarding the staff.
I appreciate that food is a very subjective topic. My intention with the Carpaccio is to source great quality, tender beef fillet at considerable cost and slice it as thinly as possible. We actually go to great lengths to achieve this. The fine slicing results in a melt in the mouth experience which could not be achieved with a thicker slice. Depending on the diameter of the fillet used, there will always be between 6 & 9 slices of beef per portion, not the one slice as you mention in your review.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy the liver and bacon salad. If you had mentioned to the waiting staff that you would have preferred your liver serving pinker than it was we would gladly have rectified this for you. We do soak our liver in milk for 24 hours before serving to remove any bitterness from blood and other impurities found naturally in liver - this does make the liver paler in appearance when cooked and not bright red, even if cooked more rare. The bacon element is oven-dried pancetta which we do break into a crumb like texture as then you get small pieces of the bacon in every mouthful but in view of your comments we will also serve a whole slice of crisped pancetta with that dish from now on.
I am sorry you did not find our fish pie worthy of two rosettes. Fortunately, the AA guide themselves have been kind enough to disagree, but as you haven’t mentioned what you didn’t like about the dish I can’t elaborate further.
The bacon we use is dry cured back and streaky bacon using meat from locally sourced outdoor reared pigs. It is produced on a small scale by our local butcher and hand sliced. We use this bacon rather than mass produced catering bacon like many establishments, and we do this to give the best breakfast we can. The mushrooms are sautéed in butter. We endeavour to cook small batches of food throughout the morning to keep everything as fresh and nutritious as possible when cooking for such a large volume of guests. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy some aspects of your dining experiences at the hotel but I assure you that your comments are welcomed and valued. Thanks for the chuckle about the toilet roll and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Andy Wilson
Head Chef

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was staying away on business in Chesterfield, and a colleague recommended Casa. Being a business traveller, I'm used to making do with mediocre, expensive hotels in London but, friends, let me tell you that his place is brilliant. It is modern, stylish, and the staff are lovely. Furthermore, the food is excellent and I had to congratulate the chef on an excellent burger!! Those of you who know the trials and tribulations of of business travel will understand but being able to order room service AND get a call when it's on its way is excellent service. Looking forward to staying there again

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
DownhamStuart, Operations Director at Casa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear chalexan
Thank you for posting such a positive review of Casa. It is very encouraging to hear that we are getting it right for our guests. I hope you will return soon.

Stuart

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterfield
Peak Edge Hotel
Twin Oaks Hotel
#1 of 1 in Palterton
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel

Been to Casa Hotel? Share your experiences!