“Lovely place”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The best pub in Derbyshire
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

It's not somewhere from the outside you would probably go into. My sister living in Chesterfield found this place and talked me into going for lunch there. A lovely place with a very nice menu. Somewhere everyone should try. I was sat where I could see the chefs cooking. Couldn't fault anything they did.

1  Thank Miniplum90

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We were treated to lunch here, therefore we did not feel that we could send the food back! My husband's fish and chips were soggy and greasy. I ordered sole fillet on mash with spinach, but received one of the smallest bits of fish I've ever been servied with green beans and new potatoes. This would not have been so bad if I had not chosen one of the most expensive items on the menu £11.25 because I currently have a medical problem which means I cannot eat beans or potatoes with skin on, but can eat mash and spinach!

1  Thank JandG1357
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have recently moved to Chesterfield, when we first arrived here me and my girlfriend were on a mission to find some really nice comforting pub food. This is just what we found in the market pub.

I ordered the roast beef dinner and she ordered the pie. It came with mash potato, gravy and vegetables. I am usually quite reluctant to order mash from such a place as there is a danger of being lumpy and that for me, just ruins it all together. However here it was utter perfection. In fact everything was, from the food to the service we had. They also had some decent music on but, you could still have a conversation over the top of it.

I would have no problems recommending this place to anyone in the area. Top grub!! i'm even going tonight!! After the photos I have seen on here I think I will try one of the burgers :)

Thanks

2  Thank Thomson1991
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I remember the Market from 7 years ago when I lived in Chesterfield. It was always a steady pub that had a few real ales and traditional pub grub. Sadly, on my visit yesterday, the Market would be better advising potential customers what to expect by adding "Up" in front of its name. I bought a pint of real ale and couldn't believe it when I was asked for £3.75 - it was a good pint but one that is fairly common. The menu was also on the pricey side and looking at some food arriving on the next table, the portions were far from generous. I'm very sad that the Market has gone this way - it used to be a good reliable pub with fairly priced beer and food.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided to have Sunday lunch at The Market Pub. Although it did take a while for our meals to arrive the food was fantastic. Reasonable prices, friendly staff and a cosy atmosphere. Would definitely recommend.

1  Thank Abbie J