“A nice clean hotel with a warm friendly welcome”
Review of Buckingham's Hotel

Buckingham's Hotel
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Chesterfield
Glossop, United Kingdom
“A nice clean hotel with a warm friendly welcome”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The buckingham in chesterfield is a nice friendly hotel,you are met with a warm and very friendly greating, the beds are nice ,the room are tidy,the whole place is exellent,the breakfast was outstanding with quallity service

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

After a long and exciting day at Alton Towers, we recently has the pleasure to stay at Buckingham's Hotel in Chesterfield. The hotel is in a good location, however parking is limited.

The first thing that struck me was all their culinary awards, including the best restaurant in Derbyshire (in 2006 I think) numerous other breakfast awards.

This is a family run hotel and has a couple of unique selling points.

Including the restaurant with only one table (which we didn't use) and their other restaurant where there are no menu's.

You tell the staff any allergies or dislikes and then they come up with a suitable surprise. I'm the most fussiest eater in the world and listed off a load of ingredients that I don't like (cheese, egg, fish, cream, game and mustard to name a few) to my surprise the starter was a spinach soufflé in a saffron creamy sauce (or a cheesy creamy omelette as I rudely referred to it) don't get me wrong my girlfriend thought it was delicious. but it certainly wasn't my cup of tea. The main course was a combination of duck (game meat to best of my knowledge) and pork loin with vegetables. Despite my reluctance for game meat this was actually very nice. To be fair to the hotel they did knock the cost of the starter off my bill and they did enquire whether I could eat things with egg in or it was just egg on its own I didn't like. I thought they meant things like cake or pastries. Not omelettes, soufflés etc. So it was just a break down in communications.

The staff were all very friendly and attentive. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. I would happily recommend this hotel / boutique guesthouse to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Gloucester
Reviewed 30 September 2013

What I require from a hotel is good food, a comfortable room, good service and parking on site.
Unfortunately, this hotel did not meet that criteria.

The food was excellent, the service good, parking almost non-existent (only 4 parking spaces, 1 of which was taken up with the owner's car), which mean parking in a side street. The room was comfortable as it goes, with MDF furniture and heating that didn't kick in until 7:30, which meant that if you like to shower before you have breakfast, you either have to wait until the heating kicks in to warm the bedroom or have a hot shower then get dressed in a cold room.
As my room was at the top of the house, I had to go on my knees to sort out my coffee as the table holding everything was under the beams.

I will probably not stay here again.

Room Tip: Keep away from rooms at the top of the house - go for the first floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Reading the reviews I was intrigued by a dining experience with no menus. We were greeted by the owner of this family run hotel Nick a Jovial chatty chap in a chefs jacket. We booked in, gave our preferred time for dinner and were asked for two pieces of information, "what food do you dislike and any allergies".Following a conversation on food and being answers to a couple of cooking questions we went to our room tastefully furnished with a very comfortable double bed. In the dining room we were greeted by Tina (congratulations on your new grandson) who showed us to our table. Main course was brought in, we had no idea what it would be but medallion of beef and duck thigh with accompaniments described in detail by Master Chef Nick Buckingham took dining to a whole new level. Dessert followed which again was described and equally as exciting to the pallet all washed down with an excellent Cabernet. We adjourned to the lounge for coffee and truffles then a restful night of sleep. There is a breakfast menu and the full English with hand made sausages maintains the highest standards. A couple of vegetarians were well impressed as Nick had already prepared an alternative breakfast which they said was delicious. The hall is full off accolades for Master Chef Nick Buckingham Justly deserved an amazing meal, a warm and friendly hotel and a great place to stay Thanks we will see you again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Very good 2 night stay. Hosts were excellent in their efforts to make sure that every thing was catered for. Meals were very good in fact so good we ate there both nights which considering my fussiness on what I eat was a recommendation in its own right. Next time there will be no other place to stay

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

As a family birthday celebration we took our mum for a meal at this lovely hotel. The family who run it could not have done it any better, they prepared a seperate room for us, laid a lovely table out with music in the backgrond. Upon arrival they greeted us at the door and took us through to our room, where we were given drinks. The food is based upon a variety of different dishes taken into consideration of any allergies or dislikes as opposed to a set menu. The Chef brings each dish to the table explaining what and how the food is prepared, all of which is fresh and done to perfection. The courses were delicious and had time to settle before the next course arrived to the table. Nothing was too much trouble for them, the family very polite and friendly, and once we had each course at the table they shut the doors behind them and left us to enjoy the celebration. I would definately recommend this hotel, and wish them all the very best :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I went to hotel for a work trip. It is run by a family...It is very central so that is a bonus. The food was great (some of my colleagues argued that the portion were too small but as I prefer quality than quantity fro me it was perfect). However, did not like the room. The duvet smelled sweat...you could tell it had not been washed for a while...I had to leave on a side. To me cleanness is the first thing, therefore I have not come back to that hotel despite having been in Chesterfield many times thereafter. They allow dogs so who knows how many dogs have slept on that duvet. Also you can hear people on the room above... For what they charge per night you better go to another hotel, even if you have to take a taxi it is cheaper and much much quality if you go to CASA Hotel or to the Ringwood Hall.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business